Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Coming in COMPLETELY cold. Just got onto Robinhood.

Can someone give me a rundown of the difference between it and M1 and why everybody is seemingly on M1 now?
I'm not sure why everyone is moving to M1 specifically? There are a few popular YouTube stock market-related channels that have affiliate links for it so it has grown with the public that way.

As for people leaving RobinHood, they have the largest growth of any of the brokers currently and their systems have buckled under the stress multiple times in the past few months people have lost money and looked for greener pastures. My guess is the trend probably goes like this:

New trader heard about RobinHood & opens account -> Starts trading stock -> Starts trading options -> Gets stuck in a position and/or experiences platform issues -> realizes almost all platforms are free nowadays and finds a more experienced broker

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Can someone give me a rundown of the difference between it and M1 and why everybody is seemingly on M1 now?
You can do what people are doing on M1 with a regular brokerage account (well one that sells fractional shares) but you’d just have to be more hands on. It’s kinda like building your own ETF then throwing set amounts of money at it that it invests in proportion to the percentages you chose.

most people here have more than one investment account, so there really is no trend of people preferring one platform to another. I personally don’t see the point of robinhood given some of its limitations paired with the fact the larger brokers stopped charging commissions (the main advantage robinhood used to have) that said, it mostly gets the job done

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps

If youre new to investing, i would recommend betterment, since it's all ETFs they choose for you. You simply set the allocation and goal. I wouldnt mess with individual stocks to start.

sounds like what people are doing with M1 is making their own ETF, you just pick your own stocks and it makes it into one stock

robinhood you would buy individual stocks
Technically, with fractional shares, you could do the same on rh. It's just m1 does the allocating for you.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I'd recommend TD or Fidelity for buying stocks, their platforms are great

I'd recommend M1 for fractional shares and building a pie

I'd recommend We Bull for day trading and early IPO access though I am unclear on how early you are granted IPO access
Normally it’s a week. I didn’t even think to check last night :snoop: