Blair Witch Project Is The Most Effective Horror Movie Ever Made

blair witch is a classic

• co-sign, its a classic! :lawd:

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • fukk outta here blair witch was trash :pacspit:

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • once I knew it was fake I was like :shaq2:

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • movie got too much undeserved hate. not a classic, but a very good film :whew:

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • people actually thought it was real? :what: fukkin idiots

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
name a 'found footage' film blair witch didn't influence...that genre is more popular than ever nowadays and for better or for worse you can thank the blair witch for that. the blair witch wasn't the first 'found footage' film, but it was the best, no doubt, and the one that influenced everything that came after it

place yourself back in '99..if you allow yourself to become involved and put yourself in the shoes of the characters, there is no scarier horror movie imo and thats without the overpowering F/X and music score most movies rely on to 'scare' you, if you still have an imagination left what is implied becomes a hundred times scarier than anything offered up by hollywood in the last 30 years. the viral marketing for this movie was so brilliant people actually believed it was real at the time..(do you remember that?). think about it, for a horror film, there is simply no better way to market yourself than to have people believing this was really a thing that happened. leading up to the theatrical release there were faux documentaries on tv about the blair witch legend. I remember watching those and being intrigued. If you searched for the blair witch online back in '99 you would discover all this planted information to corroborate all the things the people in the docs were saying, so you genuinely weren't sure leading up to the film if this was all bullshyt or not. therein lies the true terror; its not the fact that you would have believed it to be 100% true..its the fact you didn't know for sure. you were being fukked with before the movie even came out. afterwards you couldn't help but think 'am I being bamboozled?' in that sense I can see why the movie is hated as much as it is. people don't like to feel stupid or tricked.

it was something unprecedented..we will probably never see anything like that again in this post-photoshop age of cynicism & skepticism. the movie still holds up brilliantly. a true american classic

:salute:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
As a film it was ass but it was a monumental marketing achievement and the success of that marketing trumped how shytty the movie was and resulted in the film making loads of money whioch then opened the floodgates for all the found footage flicks that came after.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The way they shot that film (grab kids give them a map and no warnings about how you'll be torturing thing), saved budget and marketed that thing is pure genius...but the movie itself doesn't hold up after the first watch and I watched it the first time back when they marketed it like it was actually real found footage.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
I saw it when it first came out, thought it was okay.

My thoughts after I watched it awhile back because of the anniversary issue in Fangoria / Rue Morgue or Horror hound magazine

:trash:

this flick did not hold up well.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
image.jpg

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Before, what are the imitation?

He's probably talking about all of the other found footage movies that have come out since the release of Blair Witch like Paranormal Activity.
And I saw this garbage on opening weekend in July of 1999 and my opinion was that it sucked then too.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
The movie theater was dead quiet...I looked around at how shook people were. I'm convinced that most people that didn't like the movie were fooled and thought it was real. Lotta people were scorned cuz they felt like they been tricked so in turn they automatically hate the movie.

Like OP said, if you put yourself in their shoes...hungry, tired, something chasing you at night, the woods seem never ending. its scary as fukk. :myman: