Black woman, Amber Nicole Thurman, left to die because of Republicans anti-abortion policy

Tair

Superstar
Daps
amber-facebook-3.jpg

In her final hours, Amber Nicole Thurman suffered from a grave infection that her suburban Atlanta hospital was well-equipped to treat.

She’d taken abortion pills and encountered a rare complication; she had not expelled all of the fetal tissue from her body. She showed up at Piedmont Henry Hospital in need of a routine procedure to clear it from her uterus, called a dilation and curettage, or D&C.

But just that summer, her state had made performing the procedure a felony, with few exceptions. Any doctor who violated the new Georgia law could be prosecuted and face up to a decade in prison.

Thurman waited in pain in a hospital bed, worried about what would happen to her 6-year-old son, as doctors monitored her infection spreading, her blood pressure sinking and her organs beginning to fail.

It took 20 hours for doctors to finally operate. By then, it was too late.

The otherwise healthy 28-year-old medical assistant, who had her sights set on nursing school, should not have died, an official state committee recently concluded.

Tasked with examining pregnancy-related deaths to improve maternal health, the experts, including 10 doctors, deemed hers “preventable” and said the hospital’s delay in performing the critical procedure had a “large” impact on her fatal outcome.

Their reviews of individual patient cases are not made public. But ProPublica obtained reports that confirm that at least two women have already died after they couldn’t access legal abortions and timely medical care in their state.
There are almost certainly others.
Committees like the one in Georgia, set up in each state, often operate with a two-year lag behind the cases they examine, meaning that experts are only now beginning to delve into deaths that took place after the Supreme Court overturned the federal right to abortion.

Thurman’s case marks the first time an abortion-related death, officially deemed “preventable,” is coming to public light. ProPublica will share the story of the second in the coming days. We are also exploring other deaths that have not yet been reviewed but appear to be connected to abortion bans.

Doctors warned state legislators women would die if medical procedures sometimes needed to save lives became illegal.

Though Republican lawmakers who voted for state bans on abortion say the laws have exceptions to protect the “life of the mother,” medical experts cautioned that the language is not rooted in science and ignores the fast-moving realities of medicine.

The most restrictive state laws, experts predicted, would pit doctors’ fears of prosecution against their patients’ health needs, requiring providers to make sure their patient was inarguably on the brink of death or facing “irreversible” harm when they intervened with procedures like a D&C.
“They would feel the need to wait for a higher blood pressure, wait for a higher fever — really got to justify this one — bleed a little bit more,” Dr. Melissa Kottke, an OB-GYN at Emory, warned lawmakers in 2019 during one of the hearings over Georgia’s ban.

Read the rest of the article: 2 women die in Georgia after they couldn't access legal abortions and timely care

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Like voting for either political party is gonna stop these clowns from practicing medical racism on black patients.
bytch ass white folks really made it to where they don’t believe that black people (especially black women) can’t feel any pain and would rather let us die than to actually help us. I hope her family sue the fukk outta these bytches.:scust:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like voting for either political party is gonna stop these clowns from practicing medical racism on black patients.
bytch ass white folks really made it to where they don’t believe that black people (especially black women) can’t feel any pain and would rather let us die than to actually help us. I hope her family sue the fukk outta these bytches.:scust:
This is the direct result of a Republican law.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Both parties aren't responsible for this particular case, just one is.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Yea this gon piss me off for a minute. Straight up bullshyt.

Has anyone answered why men seem to take the leading position against abortion. That’s not weird? Did I miss women marching in protest of abortions? Every time I see this convo come up it’s old republican cacs demeaning it. fukk is really goin on?

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Yea this gon piss me off for a minute. Straight up bullshyt.

Has anyone answered why men seem to take the leading position against abortion. That’s not weird? Did I miss women marching in protest of abortions? Every time I see this convo come up it’s old republican cacs demeaning it. fukk is really goin on?

It's all about control.