Black Star: No Fear of Time /// NEW ALBUM 5.3.22

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think if you go in with an open mind and not stuck in 1998, you'll appreciate the album.

Yasiin and Talib are on point lyrically, Madlib at the top of his game.

it's a great album, bruh.

not a single song sounds out of place

album is all of 33 minutes, before you know it, the album has ended.

one of the best albums of 2022.
I love that album but I also have to acknowledge that its seen through rose tinted glasses. The mixing on the original album is HORRIBLE :russ:

But Respiration (and more so though Pete Rock Flying High Remix) and Thieves in the Night are two of my favorite songs of all time

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Nah, im saying don't go in expecting Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar Part II. Don't go in thinking it's going to sound just like that album.

like i said, Yasiin and Kweli are spitting, lyrics still sharp as ever and Madlib brings his excellence as always.

if you've been a fan of Blackstar and Madlib, you'll more than likely enjoy this album.
Ok I will give it a listen. :flabbynsick:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I love that album but I also have to acknowledge that its seen through rose tinted glasses. The mixing on the original album is HORRIBLE :russ:

But Respiration (and more so though Pete Rock Flying High Remix) and Thieves in the Night are two of my favorite songs of all time

really?!

see, I've always appreciated both sides of the coin when it comes to mixing.

i like when the mixing is clear but also dirty too.

it depends on the album

to me, it works on their debut album

a few cats was saying they ain't like how No fear of time is mixed too, but i like it, because it sounds like some shyt just straight off the cassette tape use to sound back in the day, just like some raw vintage shyt. like vinyl in a way.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Honestly the first black star album didn't live up to the hype when they were in their prime.

This is actually true.

For those of us that were there in real time when it dropped in '98, a lot of people thought it would be a lot doper than it was. Album had a few classic tracks on it, but way too much filler and just weak/boring cuts. Hip Hop media was hyping it before it dropped, but after it did, it had mad average reviews from the same publications that were gassing it before. I think a lot of us just wanted to hear more from Mos. We got the classic from him that we wanted a year later with Black on Both Sides.

Superstar
Daps
Off topic, but I finally fukked around and made a band camp account, and found DJ preservation’s remix of “the Ecstatic”. I loved the fukk out the original and I’m kind of digging this version too.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Off topic, but I finally fukked around and made a band camp account, and found DJ preservation’s remix of “the Ecstatic”. I loved the fukk out the original and I’m kind of digging this version too.

the remix version of The Ecstatic is nice

I love both versions of the albums