082103-foodjc-2jpg-6c3349eae7c4b55f.jpg

Honey-Chipotle-Hush-Puppies-1024x1024.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps
:noah:

Top 3 favorite style of food, EASILY. Some of the best collard greens I've had to this day were in the cafeteria of College of Charleston down in SC my freshman year. All of the women working in the kitchen were older, southern black ladies and they basically would cook their recipes weekly. :noah::noah::noah:

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
I feel like there's some underlining context here. But for understanding I love soul food tho. But those collar greens aren't real collar greens. There's no spices on that Shyt. Unless the following is added, that's not a soul food dinner.

Edit: This is a real soul food dinner

1) Yams
2) Collard Greens ( With spices)
3) Fried Chicken or catfish or both :eat:
4) Macaroni and cheese
5)Potato Salad
6) Corn Bread

:ufdup: If you don't have all that, you don't have a real soul food dinner.

Fixed

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
Also OP, those restaurants are CAC institutions STEALING black soul food culture.

Go to a real soul food restaurant ( NYC)

Sylvia's
Ruth's
Far Rockaway fishmarket
:ufdup: You gonna learn today !

Sylvia's fell off a long time ago. It was THE soul food spot back in the day but I think around the time she started branching out and getting into canned goods, distribution and stuff, the quality of the food started falling off. The absolute last time I was there, it was full of white people who had started getting comfortable going to Harlem, and they were eating the food as it was served on some :eat:but the black folk were tasting the food and having to add seasoning and stuff, it was so bland. I thought it might just have been a one-off, but I heard from some other friends that went there afterwards that it was still bland. Plus right locally in Brooklyn I had the Carolina Country Kitchen on Atlantic and Saratoga, so I didn't have to go all the way uptown to get some good soul food.