Black Skin Is Still A Radical Concept in Video Games

Deezay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
These Kids
:manny: I posted my Blood relatives pics. even my dad whose black, his family was from the south. grandma cooks collard greens, hog maws, and all that.

and yet im still not considered black by half this site
You ever put collard greens in a taco, bro?
How about a Chicken, green bean and Mac n Cheese Burrito?

Giving you some ideas, bro. Work with me. :mjlol:

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
Even still the only time we are represented is if its a stereotypical role: thug, athlete, entertainer. GTA, Sports games and Def Jam fighting series comes to mind right off the top.

I appreciate TellTales Walking Dead series for having 2 black main characters in Lee and Clementine( she's mixed, but still).
Why can't we get featured main characters in AAA games? Mass Effect is a game that prides itself on racial diversity but still we can never get a default black protagonist unless we custom create one ourselves.
They wanna make money :troll:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly this is a non-issue. We just need more black storytellers/game developers. You keep begging white people to include us in their stories and they will do a poor job portraying us.

while i agree we do need to stop begging, it is an issue more non whites arent leads in video games....the issue itself isnt the lack of representation, but the reason for it...but no one wants to talk about that....

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
while i agree we do need to stop begging, it is an issue more non whites arent leads in video games....the issue itself isnt the lack of representation, but the reason for it...but no one wants to talk about that....

The reason is that the people who develop these games are overwhelmingly white, so the game will reflect them. It's not more complicated than that. Honestly I'd rather a game have nothing but white people in it, rather than a game developed by white people where they are forced to adhere to some standard of diversity....because then you'll inevitably have non-white people complaining about how they are being represented in these games by white people.

I want all the creative energy of these developers going towards the gameplay, period. People who feel some type of way should establish their own development studios or stop whining.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The reason is that the people who develop these games are overwhelmingly white, so the game will reflect them. It's not more complicated than that. Honestly I'd rather a game have nothing but white people in it, rather than a game developed by white people where they are forced to adhere to some standard of diversity....because then you'll inevitably have non-white people complaining about how they are being represented in these games by white people.

I want all the creative energy of these developers going towards the gameplay, period. People who feel some type of way should establish their own development studios or stop whining.

the developers arent the reason, they in it for the money...they have no problem making games with whatever characters as long as it gets them paid....the reason is racism in gamers themselves...while gaming is diversified, there is still a large portion that is white male gamers....when it comes to games with humans, that group isnt comfortable playing and/or just doesnt want to play as anything except white male characters....and developers dont wanna miss out on that money, so they dont wanna piss off that group....

as for the rest of your post, i highly disagree....i dont want just white characters/people in games all the time...to get info for non-whites in games, they should just hire some non whites in their company....which is more realistic than having a group start up a new studio...that's not as easy as it sounds.....

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
honest response: we have to stop begging white people to represent us fairly. either some heavy pocket black investors have to step up, or black writers and coders have to crowdfund black projects.
Thank you.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
the developers arent the reason, they in it for the money...they have no problem making games with whatever characters as long as it gets them paid....the reason is racism in gamers themselves...while gaming is diversified, there is still a large portion that is white male gamers....when it comes to games with humans, that group isnt comfortable playing and/or just doesnt want to play as anything except white male characters....and developers dont wanna miss out on that money, so they dont wanna piss off that group....

as for the rest of your post, i highly disagree....i dont want just white characters/people in games all the time...to get info for non-whites in games, they should just hire some non whites in their company....which is more realistic than having a group start up a new studio...that's not as easy as it sounds.....

If you don't want to play them, make the kind of games you like. Until then consume whats available. They're just video games.

"They should hire non whites in their company" is the attitude of a dependent. I wan't developers to hire the best staff, not be forced to adhere to some stupid diversity quota. How about some non-white studios open up and hire their own staff?

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you don't want to play them, make the kind of games you like. Until then consume whats available. They're just video games.

"They should hire non whites in their company" is the attitude of a dependent. I wan't developers to hire the best staff, not be forced to adhere to some stupid diversity quota. How about some non-white studios open up and hire their own staff?

lol at the 'they're just video games'....people always try to trivialize things by saying 'they're just (inset whatever)'....and i'm not talking about the video games, i'm talking about that reason i mentioned for why there is a lack of representation...people dont wanna talk about that when it comes to most things in society, not just video games....

lol at a dependent attitude....you trying too hard....saying companies should hire people that arent white men/women isnt being dependent....that's just saying hire the best, no matter what they are...which i'm sure includes non white men/women....unless you only think white males/women are the best video game makers....also, that 'just make your own' isnt as viable an option as you trying to make it seem....it's not that fukking easy as typing it on a message board....it takes years of experience, capital, networking, people looking out for others/favors, etc. to become just a small dev company....multiply those things by more to become a company like EA or Activision.....now while it is possible to get to that level, what i'm saying is while working towards doing it ourselves, it's better to get people in already established companies to gain those things, till they're ready to go out on their own....

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a prime example of what i'm talking about: horizon zero dawn....the game is fukking amazing....and to go along with the thread's topic: GG did a great job of making blacks look like people that belong in the game's world, which they deserve props for....but they also made the lead white...not talking reg white, she's like ultra white when compared to other whites in the game...now, it doesnt take you out of the game, but it is interesting that the character we play as is an ultra white woman, in a game world where the majority of people are non white....why you may ask?....cause they didnt wanna completely turn off the white audience that could potential buy the game...they already made the lead a woman, which white males look down on, so guess they made her an ultra white savior to get them to ignore that lol....which i understand cause at the end of the day, it's a business and they gotta care about their bottom line....but it's just another example of how it's more than just 'video games'....

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
:wow: Sucks being light skinned, most people just assume im full on white or mexican. shyt like that aint cool.
my bloodline just as much black as most others on this site, yet I get treated like lesser cus I aint dark enough :mjcry:

Blaxicans are still black... we just got 2 different cultures they can relate to. :sadcam:
because you ARE white.
I'm lightskinned.