‘Black Panther’ Crosses $1 Billion at Global Box Office

ozzy

Pro
Daps
black-panther-71.jpg

Marvel’s “Black Panther” continues to climb box office charts, passing the $1 billion mark at the global box office in just 26 days.

The Ryan Coogler tentpole is the 33rd movie to gross $1 billion. It’s the 16th Disney film to reach this milestone, and the fifth Marvel film to do so — joining the ranks of “The Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Iron Man 3,” and “Captain America: Civil War.”

Black Panther” has grossed $521 million domestically, making it the ninth-highest release of all time. In its fourth weekend, “Black Panther” is heading for a $37 million-plus weekend, which would make it the No. 2 superhero release of all time over “The Dark Knight’s” $535 million.

It would also give “Black Panther” the third-highest fourth weekend of all time, taking the title from “The Avengers” with $36.7 million. “Avatar” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” currently hold the one and two spots, with $50.3 million and $42.4 million respectively. A 44% drop for the tentpole’s fourth weekend would be on par with its third weekend decline of 41%.

Internationally, “Black Panther” is aiming for the $500 million mark this weekend, thanks to a strong debut in China, where it opened with $20 million in its first day.

Black Panther’ Crosses $1 Billion at Global Box Office

tumblr_oxx87xglsc1uujbcio1_500.gif

Y2Dre

Melanated God
Supporter
Daps
This is my favorite symbolic victory that I know doesn’t really mean anything for us, but now there’s no excuse to not green light Black projects.

Get Out and now Black Panther.

I think we may be entering a whole new era of Black cinema.

Chabot College

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Hayward, CA
This is my favorite symbolic victory that I know doesn’t really mean anything for us, but now there’s no excuse to not green light Black projects.

Its a shame that you have to add that disclaimer before you are allowed to show love to a movie full of black actors. Not calling you out, im calling out the climate of this section.

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
Black folks BEEN great..... black folks BEEN generating billions

black folks attract eyes and ears from all over the world.... the culture.... the fashion... billions of records sold with music.... the popularity of our athletes around the world.... billions generated from sports....

this is just another example of our greatness.... but we BEEN great.... Cacs BEEN knew we were great.... thats why they been monetizing us since forever.

I'm ready to see us own and control and monetize our own image at this point.... now THAT would make me the happiest person ever.... to see black folks in REAL positions of power...... generating REAL money for OUR community and EMPOWERING each other....... cacs already know how great we are... thats old news.... thats why they sign us and employ us at every opportunity....I want to see us recognize our own greatness instead of waiting on validation and funding from others.

To us, this is groundbreaking.

To cacs, this is just another flip..... another power move. They already know how profitable we are.

YeLovesBoston

Superstar
Daps

My exact thoughts. There's been plenty of great black films, but we've never had a Star Wars, a Dark Knight, or even a Transformers. We now have a huge black superhero film that's locked in a billion and secured a trilogy. Hollywood execs speak money. We tell them that we will go watch tf out of films with black directors and nearly all black casts, we get more of these films. Now we have more black directors getting jobs and recognition, and more black actors getting roles.

We all get a little something from this success. Hopefully, we get ourselves to a point where we have black owned movie studios competing with Warner Bros or Sony. Take these small victories now and keep building off of them to make black Hollywood a real and independent force.