Black Name on Resume vs White Name on Resume.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
You should be glad you have an ethnic name. It's better than actually getting called back and having to sit through an uncomfortable interview bc they were expecting someone else.:mjpls:

Me and my homeboy had this happened a few times.

Had one interview when the guy (CFO) sat and stare at me for at least 20 seconds when I first sat down. That was the first interview I went on that an offer wasn't extended. usually, I impressed the shyt out of people but this guy looked at me like "there's no way this guy knows anything".

thirdeye

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I send audio resumes and when I walk into the place for the interview......they're like :ohhh:
It catches them off guard, I'm 100 percent if I was a white chick walking in they would be like :blessed:

Edit: An example of my audio resume

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
I sent my resume in March 25th,
March 26th i received:

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider you for employment. We have identified other candidates who more closely match our needs for the role at this time. We have your application in our system and will contact you if we find a match for you in the near future. We also encourage you to apply for any other openings for which you are qualified.

We appreciate your interest in xxxx and wish you success in your job search.

Sincerely,

This time i sent my resume in April 12th, April 14th I recieved this:

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your interest in the xxx position. I have reviewed your resume and would like to consider you further for the opening.

Please let me know if you are available for a phone conversation this week. If you are not, please let me know a day that will work for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

Andrew,

This is to confirm our phone interview for Wednesday, April 15th at 2pm (EST). Please review the job description before our phone interview.

Best,
Xxxx

of course she doesn't sign the rejection letter , so if you can't call her out and say it's the same person - but usually they have one HR recruiter working on a job rec

Orange cream shake

Blessed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
null
You should be glad you have an ethnic name. It's better than actually getting called back and having to sit through an uncomfortable interview bc they were expecting someone else.:mjpls:
As long as your presentation is good, u have the required experience, and sound intelligent, it's not at all uncomfortable. I have a so called white name.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
I send audio resumes and when I walk into the place for the interview......they're like :ohhh:
It catches them off guard, I'm 100 percent if I was a white chick walking in they would be like :blessed:

Yeah, I agree with you 100%, but quick side note could you do one of those with like " Oh Audemar" right quick. :lupe:

sayyestothis

Free the guys
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD "The Greatest City In America"
Yeah I dont know why this surprises you...

If there is still blatant racism in a public forum of course when people look at "ethnic" names that don't look like theirs they aren't going to give you a shot.

that's why my wife and I named our son a "appealing" name. Agree or not it's the world we all live in. Things aren't always equal...adapt

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water

What is the purpose of an audio resume? not asking to be a smart-ass but genuine curiosity I've never heard of this. Do you just give your elevator pitch along with some of your relevant experience?

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I have a very "american" white bread name I get call backs on the regular but boy oh boy do some of those interviews get awkward when I walk in.

More reason to start your own business.

thirdeye

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, I agree with you 100%, but quick side note could you do one of those with like " Oh Audemar" right quick. :lupe:

LMAO. :shaq:

What is the purpose of an audio resume? not asking to be a smart-ass but genuine curiosity I've never heard of this. Do you just give your elevator pitch along with some of your relevant experience?

Yeah basically. I customize it to each job hah. I always get interviews. My thought process on it is I want to make an instant connection with the HR person. My voice guarantees that.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Quick synopsis.

I like to always review my options every so often in the job market. I have a good job now and have no intentions of moving on unless I have a really great offer. So, recently I have been sending some resumes out and I've gotten some poor responses despite meeting all qualifications. Poor responses meaning, I'm not even given a phone screen - just a flat out, "we are not interested".

So, on the last two - I decided to try something. I went back to the resume and filled it out with a fake name (Andrew McKenzie), an alternate email, and alternate phone number.

I sent the resume back in and lo and behold, within 2 days I received a response asking for a phone screen. Just 4 days prior, I received a "not interested" response. So, the only thing changed in the resume was my name, address, phone number and I believe I changed a couple of names of the jobs but did not change any of the work I did or experience.

So, I think I'm going to see this through and do the phone screen and see if they actually bring me in to an interview.
i've done the same, same results. desean -> sean. sad world we live in but i'm going to play the game too.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
so wondering if i should just chalk this up and not even phone screen or call them out about their blatant bias.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
so wondering if i should just chalk this up and not even phone screen or call them out about their blatant bias.
Blow up their spot, blog it, tweet it, whatever. Keep a spreadsheet of the companies, track the responses to the different names, etc. Some spanish cat did the same experiment a few years ago that went viral, I think changing his name from Juan to John on his resumes

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
so had a phone screen last week, they loved me and want to bring me in for an interview. lol

---------------------------------------------

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your continued interest in theFinancial Planning & Analysis position. The hiring manager has requested that I move you to the next round of interviews. Congratulations!

Please let me know if you are available for a manager phone interview this week. If you are not, please let me know a day that will work for you.

Best regards,