Black Men In Chicago Are Taking Over Abandoned Property & Rebuilding The Neighborhood

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
They could set up an "abatement" system, I believe there is one in certain sections of Dacula, and I know of it's existence in a number of suburbs here in the MidWest.
The city can tax/fine unmaintained properties into oblivion, then either seize the property or fine the mortgage company so much they oft-sell it to the city.
Helps keep property values up, and rewards property upkeep.

Chicago has a program sorta like that, but they couldn't have the liability of selling damaged/abandoned homes. Commercial properties they'll auction normally. So what they generally do if they end up owning a abandoned single family home in bad shape is they tear it down and will sell the land for $1. Normally they try to sell it to the owner of one of the properties directly adjacent with the expectation it will be upkept and they pay property taxes.

Unfortunately here, a majority just end up bank owned and bought at foreclosure auctions and held by investors who sit on them and don't care how they look can they're in it for the land.

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
they'll rebuild them back, then the city will come in and tell them they don't own it and take it away :francis:
actually, if the home has been abandoned and inhabitable and unlivable, a person can take advantage of a law called "adverse possession" where you can claim the property, clean it, rehab it, make it livable and all you have to do is pay the taxes on the property for 7 years and the title will be granted to you.

and in cook county, unless a owner is at the sheriffs office dropping a bag to get a person evicted, cook county sheriffs aint busting a move to put nobody out. its homeless people who been living in inhabitable buildings for years without bother.

so as long as those brothers are only doing this to buildings that have been abandoned for at least 5 years or more, they should be able to take them over.

only monkey wrench, is if the actual owner who abandoned the property hears about the place being fixed up then comes and tries to claim it, then in that case you would have to make sure someone stays in the property and forces the owners hands to drop the bag to take you to court.

dynamik

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Every decaying black neighborhood in the inner city needs to do this. In 15 years, this will be prime Million dollar real estate, and hipsters will be cutting throats to buy in on their property in a "cool up n coming neighborhood"

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I hope they are buying it and not just squating or something like that.
More power to them.

old soul

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't want to put too much out there but... the $ will be there soon, keep your eyes and ears open for a "Community Plan" from National Community Reinvestment Coalition.

Where I'm at we are looking to train folks how to repair homes in one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city (it's a ghetto now). They'll be trained by members of different trade unions and will be able to get loans to buy the houses that they've learned how to repair. Maintenance and relatively stable financial health (that waxes and wanes based on the economy) has always been a barrier for

Last edited: