Black homeownership lower today than national rate during Great Depression

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
lots of factors determine how much you'll need to put down on a home. credit history, employment history, income history, mortgage or rental history, the market you live in, new home in a new development, pre-owned home in an established neighborhood, etc etc.

if you're in fairly good financial shape a good rule of thumb is to have 10% of the anticipated purchase price for down payment and related expenses.

other factors to consider while searching...property taxes, how will your commute change, are the demographics changing in a trend you're comfortable with, if you have kids or plan to have kids how are the schools, access to shopping or entertainment districts, upcoming developments in the area such as a landfill or prison or public transportation expansion. plan to spend 6 months to a year doing research before going in.

very important, try to establish a budget around what your anticipated monthly expenses will look like before buying...mortgage, gas, electric, utilities, waste management, hoa fees, home warranty fees.

it sounds challenging and it is, but it's worth it in the long term.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
yes but you need that in the bank, people under estimate maintenance cost on a house, what you gonna do when you're AC unit fails, washer/dryer go out? shyt can get real expensive real fast

That's for each person to determine ...but to get pre approved and qualified you don't need 10k to get in a starter home in the south ... that's just grossly misleading and I don't want folks getting deterred . Again 10k in the coffers would be wonderful, but it's not realistic for many.

If you're making 50k or close to it with a decent debt income ratio and a modest lifestyle , you can credit fixes and pay that down over time. And if you have a partner making close to that , you'll be extra fine. Again , I'm not a big fan of incurring extra debt but that would be available.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dont like FHA loans because you can't buy down the PMI. You can find a conventional for 5% down and allows you to pay down PMI. Also FHA loans usually make you take a homeowners class, which isn't bad, but the free/affordable classes having waiting lists for months and the certificate is only for a year. If you don't plan correctly that can delay the shyt out of everything. TV makes the shyt seem easy but you could be looking for more than a year depending on many things.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Some of your biggest issue are going to be the high cost of homes, strict lending standards, actually being able to save money, and your debt to income ratios.

Seems straightforward. It's not.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I dont like FHA loans because you can't buy down the PMI. You can find a conventional for 5% down and allows you to pay down PMI. Also FHA loans usually make you take a homeowners class, which isn't bad, but the free/affordable classes having waiting lists for months and the certificate is only for a year. If you don't plan correctly that can delay the shyt out of everything. TV makes the shyt seem easy but you could be looking for more than a year depending on many things.

Yeah FHAs aren't necessarily worth it... should definitely try to shop on the loan and get the best rate possible .

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Again agreed 100%. I recently made a thread about how most of us blacks are not financially literate. I only LAST year started became more literate and save up more. Luckily Im still a young blood. But yeah like you and me said blacks not being as finacially literate hurts us and this is done on purpose. So far I been subscribing to Youtube channels and articles. But I next plan on buying books on investing.

PS: Do you think Trumps plans to not fund sanctuary cities like NYC will impact the whites in Harlem and Brooklyn? Some New yorkers claim crime will be like it was in the 70s/80s.

I'm still a young dude myself (late 20's now) but I wasn't exposed to alot of financial/real estate info growing up so it feels like I'm playing catch up at times. I'm a voracious reader so I'm always studying and absorbing information. I constantly try to apply it whenever I can. I've made alot of mistakes, but nothing is better than actually doing it and immersing yourself in the process. Being a practitioner is how I learn best.

It can definitely hurt if alot of these people live in the hood or near high crime areas. Like most shyt, if you're affluent, then it will probably won't hurt you as much. See the refugees in St. Louis for example. It doesn't dawn on alot of folk that alot of poor/working class people do live in 3rd world like conditions despite living in a rich country like the U.S.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This is true, but unless you plan on staying in that home for at least 10 years you shouldn't buy it, unless you really know what you're doing.

Disagree.

you have property value that increases as well as the interest being tax deductible.

The biggest key is buying an area that is desirable

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm still a young dude myself (late 20's now) but I wasn't exposed to alot of financial/real estate info growing up so it feels like I'm playing catch up at times. I'm a voracious reader so I'm always studying and absorbing information. I constantly try to apply it whenever I can. I've made alot of mistakes, but nothing is better than actually doing it and immersing yourself in the process. Being a practitioner is how I learn best.

It can definitely hurt if alot of these people live in the hood or near high crime areas. Like most shyt, if you're affluent, then it will probably won't hurt you as much. See the refugees in St. Louis for example. It doesn't dawn on alot of folk that alot of poor/working class people do live in 3rd world like conditions despite living in a rich country like the U.S.

I got my house at 25. Like another poster said all you need is Good Credit and about 10k and you can get a decent spot (a starter home or condo). And Debt to Income Ratio will make or break you.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
And when I say 10k I`m talking about buying property in Former Hoods that are going to be Gentrified. Most these areas they are begging people to move in and have tons of grants, so you end up having white folks who dont even make much buying up these spots.

Unless you have a family and kids I wouldnt worry about playing the "home value" game because unless you are moving around white folks, anywhere black people live at the snap of the finger they will tell you the properties arent worth a ton.

My rule is buy cheap property and rent it out when you move to the next spot. All because you get approved for 2-300k doesnt mean you can truly afford that home because people always ignore things like maintenance and utility costs.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
And when I say 10k I`m talking about buying property in Former Hoods that are going to be Gentrified. Most these areas they are begging people to move in and have tons of grants, so you end up having white folks who dont even make much buying up these spots.

Unless you have a family and kids I wouldnt worry about playing the "home value" game because unless you are moving around white folks, anywhere black people live at the snap of the finger they will tell you the properties arent worth a ton.

My rule is buy cheap property and rent it out when you move to the next spot. All because you get approved for 2-300k doesnt mean you can truly afford that home because people always ignore things like maintenance and utility costs.
Yup, I'm doing the same thing in Philly and Camden. The bolded was a major reason why we had a housing crisis. Banks were giving out loans to people who couldn't afford it and Black people were major targets for predatory loans.

Last edited:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
whats a good amount to have saved before buying a house

Good credit goes further then cash, look for first time home buyer programs sometimes they pay your down payment and closing cost, but 10k is a good start for a FHA loan

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Good credit goes further then cash, look for first time home buyer programs sometimes they pay your down payment and closing cost, but 10k is a good start for a FHA loan
10.5k is 3.5% of a 300k property so that can be had via FHA. Keep in mind if you have to struggle to get 10k together you def dont need to be in a 300k home or buying a home in general.

Like I said people always look at cost to acquire homes but not the cost to maintain. And if you plan on renting properties out you will need even more money. I`m not to scare anyone off just saying be prepared for what you are getting into. Back in the mid 90s when they were doing no Document mortgages they were giving people 300k mortgages as long as you had decent credit.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
580 Credit Score and 3.5% down if you can get an FHA loan (nikkaZ WAKE UP, THIS IS NOT A LOT OF BREAD!!!)

Most of our people don't know better, so how can they do better. Ask the brehs on here for help who do know better.

Yes, FHA is a great way to get the first home. If the seller is willing to go along, you can walk away without paying ANY downpayment.