Black female journalist asks why Black men can't wear their GF's jeans like white hipster men?

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Can't make this sh!t up. She's not a bedwench though, but it's amazing to see people justify feminizing men in general, and in this case Black men. When she asks why "we" can't let Black men be human, by "we" she means Black people. There's an agenda to finesse men of their manhood.

From Finn in ‘Star Wars’ to Jaden Smith: Why can’t we let black men be human?

Out of the blue the other day, my friend declared: “I love John Boyega.”

Well I do too. Boyega’s portrayal of Finn, the reformed Stormtrooper in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” is underrated brilliance. Not everyone agrees. He’s been called a buffoon, a coward, a slave and a token.

But Finn’s open expression of fear made my friend love him and want to talk about him.

“When do black men ever really get to be scared?” my friend asked me. “We’re expected to man up, but there’s strength in fear. It’s brave to show your feelings.”

If Finn hadn’t allowed himself to recognize all of his emotions, he would have been just another brainwashed First Order drone forced to kill upon command, never thinking for himself. His fear of living in that system drove him to chase freedom. And yes, after he joined the good guys, he ran when he heard the Stormtroopers were coming. But the minute he saw his friends in danger, he came back. Love led him to do all he could.

Boyega is not really the star of this film; Daisy Ridley is — and I already have my Rey T-shirt. But Finn is no spineless fool either. When Boyega was cast, racists were mad that Finn was black. Now people are mad because he’s not the right kind of black. Whenever we have a black hero (male or female) the stakes are high. These characters must be strong, smart and successful. Anything less is a letdown for many people.

But why are black male celebrities held to such a tight standard of masculinity? When a black man is afraid, eccentric or emotional, is that really a threat to black manhood?

I understand the sensitivity. Our world often sees black men as dangerous or dumb. Black women are made invisible. So I know it’s important to see ourselves reflected properly to help shatter stereotypes. But we should be allowed to be whole humans.

Black men should be allowed to show fear, to show love and to show sadness without debate. The weight of representing for an entire people shouldn’t stifle every move they make. When President Barack Obama cried as he remembered the children of Sandy Hook and announced his gun control plans this week, Fox News questioned the authenticity of his tears. I guess black men can’t cry either.

They also can’t wear whatever they want. We already know that hoodies can get them shot. Skirts and tunics make them ostracized.

White hipsters have long worn their girlfriend’s jeans, and goth guys and punk squads rock nail polish, lipstick and crop tops. Yet Kanye West’s kilt phase and extra-long T-shirts have caused a debate about the feminization of the black man.

This week, Louis Vuitton announced 17-year-old Jaden Smith as a star of the new womenswear campaign. Much as he wore a dress under his tuxedo jacket when he took Amandla Stenberg to prom last spring, Will Smith’s son is now seen in ads wearing a leather moto jacket, a fringe and mesh shirt and a skirt with loafers. He doesn’t look like a diva. And this isn’t Jaden transitioning. Jaden is simply comfortable in his own skin, casually defying dated gender rules.

Again, people are mad. Kanye West, Jaden Smith and André 3000 don’t get the Prince pass. Only our purple majesty can be a carefree black man. Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence may have gotten away with wearing dresses and heels, but only for laughs. These men are known for being cool, strong and undeniable kings of comedy.

Kevin Hart is one of the few black superstar comedians to challenge the restrictive archetype of a black man’s strength. He’s always transparent about being scared, poking fun of himself and making it cool to be not cool. His role in “Ride Along 2,” out next week, is the silly sidekick who is often scared but prevails.

“My favorite thing about him is his vulnerability,” Keion Jackson, a Kansas City creative writer, told me when Hart was performing here in August. “I think he is subversive in a way he might not get credit for, because his voice is so high-pitched, and he is loud. But he challenges stereotypes around how hard black men are required to be. It gives permission to explore topics in a more personal way, as opposed to commenting on the things from the outside.

“He says what a lot of men feel but have not been culturally allowed to say, and he does it in a way that is charismatic and funny. There is a confident strength, a loud defiance in it.”

And that’s what makes Finn so special, too. He is allowed to be scared. He is allowed to be human. Our country’s systemic racism expects the worst of black men, so they strive to defy those boundaries. Finn’s fear of becoming the monster that the First Order demanded him to be helped him break free and become himself.

No cowardly buffoonery with this one. There’s no courage like pushing through your fears and facing them.

Give up, haters. The force is strong with Finn.

Read more here: From Finn in ‘Star Wars’ to Jaden Smith: Why can’t we let black men be human?

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
8afb0d827229e8e6ed9ed6de6e9c462e.jpg

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
Well of course they love Finn. Their favourite type of black man. The buffoon, jokester, comedy character who also happens to be asexual and completely non threatening whilst the non black dudes get some action with the ladies.

:russ:The bitterness from this post is hilarious

"non-threatening" :mjlol: like you nikkas is on some Al-Shabab, John Allen Muhammed, Tyler Durden shyt, gtfo.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Can't make this sh!t up. She's not a bedwench though, but it's amazing to see people justify feminizing men in general, and in this case Black men. When she asks why "we" can't let Black men be human, by "we" she means Black people. There's an agenda to finesse men of their manhood.

Well I do too. Boyega’s portrayal of Finn, the reformed Stormtrooper in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” is underrated brilliance. Not everyone agrees. He’s been called a buffoon, a coward, a slave and a token.

But Finn’s open expression of fear made my friend love him and want to talk about him.

“When do black men ever really get to be scared?” my friend asked me. “We’re expected to man up, but there’s strength in fear. It’s brave to show your feelings.”

If Finn hadn’t allowed himself to recognize all of his emotions, he would have been just another brainwashed First Order drone forced to kill upon command, never thinking for himself. His fear of living in that system drove him to chase freedom. And yes, after he joined the good guys, he ran when he heard the Stormtroopers were coming. But the minute he saw his friends in danger, he came back. Love led him to do all he could.

Boyega is not really the star of this film; Daisy Ridley is — and I already have my Rey T-shirt. But Finn is no spineless fool either. When Boyega was cast, racists were mad that Finn was black. Now people are mad because he’s not the right kind of black. Whenever we have a black hero (male or female) the stakes are high. These characters must be strong, smart and successful. Anything less is a letdown for many people.

But why are black male celebrities held to such a tight standard of masculinity? When a black man is afraid, eccentric or emotional, is that really a threat to black manhood?

I understand the sensitivity. Our world often sees black men as dangerous or dumb. Black women are made invisible. So I know it’s important to see ourselves reflected properly to help shatter stereotypes. But we should be allowed to be whole humans.

Black men should be allowed to show fear, to show love and to show sadness without debate. The weight of representing for an entire people shouldn’t stifle every move they make. When President Barack Obama cried as he remembered the children of Sandy Hook and announced his gun control plans this week, Fox News questioned the authenticity of his tears. I guess black men can’t cry either.

They also can’t wear whatever they want. We already know that hoodies can get them shot. Skirts and tunics make them ostracized.

White hipsters have long worn their girlfriend’s jeans, and goth guys and punk squads rock nail polish, lipstick and crop tops. Yet Kanye West’s kilt phase and extra-long T-shirts have caused a debate about the feminization of the black man.

This week, Louis Vuitton announced 17-year-old Jaden Smith as a star of the new womenswear campaign. Much as he wore a dress under his tuxedo jacket when he took Amandla Stenberg to prom last spring, Will Smith’s son is now seen in ads wearing a leather moto jacket, a fringe and mesh shirt and a skirt with loafers. He doesn’t look like a diva. And this isn’t Jaden transitioning. Jaden is simply comfortable in his own skin, casually defying dated gender rules.

Again, people are mad. Kanye West, Jaden Smith and André 3000 don’t get the Prince pass. Only our purple majesty can be a carefree black man. Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence may have gotten away with wearing dresses and heels, but only for laughs. These men are known for being cool, strong and undeniable kings of comedy.

Kevin Hart is one of the few black superstar comedians to challenge the restrictive archetype of a black man’s strength. He’s always transparent about being scared, poking fun of himself and making it cool to be not cool. His role in “Ride Along 2,” out next week, is the silly sidekick who is often scared but prevails.

“My favorite thing about him is his vulnerability,” Keion Jackson, a Kansas City creative writer, told me when Hart was performing here in August. “I think he is subversive in a way he might not get credit for, because his voice is so high-pitched, and he is loud. But he challenges stereotypes around how hard black men are required to be. It gives permission to explore topics in a more personal way, as opposed to commenting on the things from the outside.

“He says what a lot of men feel but have not been culturally allowed to say, and he does it in a way that is charismatic and funny. There is a confident strength, a loud defiance in it.”

And that’s what makes Finn so special, too. He is allowed to be scared. He is allowed to be human. Our country’s systemic racism expects the worst of black men, so they strive to defy those boundaries. Finn’s fear of becoming the monster that the First Order demanded him to be helped him break free and become himself.

No cowardly buffoonery with this one. There’s no courage like pushing through your fears and facing them.

Read more here: From Finn in ‘Star Wars’ to Jaden Smith: Why can’t we let black men be human?
You have to realized why would a white publication would even allow a black female to publish anything concerning black men while not being detrimental to them.

It is because this article IS low-key c00ning

She is celebrating and ENCOURAGING black men in major films, to be COWARDLY. That's why the editor ran the piece.

No, in this day in age, black men CANNOT be cowardly.

She mentions racists were mad because Finn was black. Then she said that PEOPLE (IE black people) were mad because he wasnt a strong black male. What she omit to mention is that the racist WERE NOT mad when Star Wars came out because he was portrayed as the total opposite of what they FEARED.

Look at Gotham. The lead protagonist, Det Gordon, is a white male who takes chances, is brazen, cocky, not afraid to push the ladder, threaten corrupt superiors, go after the bad guys, and go against the grain of the corrupt police force, EVEN IF HE IS ALONE IN DOING SO. Not to mention he has MULTIPLE love interests. I dont think he ever cried in season 1. As idealistic and one-sided this character is, THAT IS THE POINT OF HIS PORTRAYAL. THIS is what Black males should be portrayed as. NOT LIKE FINN who was seen as a buffoon, running away, looking up to other people, and chasing a girl who was NOT interested in him.

Her reasoning of Finn being scared is ASININE. Of course humans become scared. But to make a driving point in a major action picture is stupid. If he was white, he would have been portrayed much differently.

Yes, she is low-key c00ning. She doesn't like the masculine, high-testosterone black male action stars of yesteryear. SHe is encouraging MORE portrayals like Kevin Hart and Finn and even a feminized Jaden Smith. Nah b, I'll take Michael Jae White's characters in action movies over cowardly Kevin Hart movies in a heartbeat. :camby:

Last edited:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You have to realized why would a white publication would even allow a black female to publish anything concerning black men while not being detrimental to them.

She is celebrating and ENCOURAGING black men in major films, to be COWARDLY. That's why the editor ran the piece.

She mentions racists were mad because Finn was black. Then she said that PEOPLE (IE black people) were mad because he wasnt a strong black male. What she omit to mention is that the racist WERE NOT mad when Star Wars came out because he was portrayed as the total opposite of what they FEARED.

Look at Gotham. The lead protagonist, Det Gordon, is a white male who takes chances, brazen, bold, not afraid to push the ladder, threaten corrupt superiors, go after the bad guys, and go against the grain of the corrupt police force, EVEN IF HE IS ALONE IN DOING SO. Not to mention his MULTIPLE love interests. I dont think he ever cried in season 1. As idealistic and one sided this character is, THAT IS THE POINT OF HIS PORTRAYAL. THIS is what Black males should be portrayed as. NOT LIKE FINN who was seen as a buffoon, running away, looking up to other people, and chasing a girl who was NOT interested in him.

Her reasoning of Finn being scared is ASININE. Of course humans become scared. But to make a driving point in a major action picture is stupid. If he was white, he would have been portrayed much differently.

Yes, she is low-key c00ning. She doesnt like the masculine, high-testosterone black male action stars of yesteryear. SHe is encouraging MORE portrayals like Kevin Hart and Finn and even a feminized Jaden Smith. Nah b, I'll take Michael Jae White characters in action movies over cowardly Kevin Hart movies in a heartbeat. :camby:

:whew:

Gravity

Banned
Daps

"Bed wench" or not she's clearly perpetuating the agenda to effeminize black men. With this story being posted on the Kansas City Star she's clearly not making her case to black men, the people who she's actually referring to. White people aren't the ones making the complaints that she's dismissing here.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Look at Gotham. The lead protagonist, Det Gordon, is a white male who takes chances, brazen, bold, not afraid to push the ladder, threaten corrupt superiors, go after the bad guys, and go against the grain of the corrupt police force, EVEN IF HE IS ALONE IN DOING SO. Not to mention his MULTIPLE love interests. I dont think he ever cried in season 1. As idealistic and one sided this character is, THAT IS THE POINT OF HIS PORTRAYAL. THIS is what Black males should be portrayed as. NOT LIKE FINN who was seen as a buffoon, running away, looking up to other people, and chasing a girl who was NOT interested in him.

Yes, she is low-key c00ning. She doesnt like the masculine, high-testosterone black male action stars of yesteryear. SHe is encouraging MORE portrayals like Kevin Hart and Finn and even a feminized Jaden Smith. Nah b, I'll take Michael Jae White characters in action movies over cowardly Kevin Hart movies in a heartbeat. :camby:

Cardinal brethren going in:wow:

Fully agree with your post.The emasculating tactics are blatant & obvious.

I couldn't make it past the first sentence, tho.

Induced a disgust that almost made me hurl up my breakfast:scust:

ImmaGetJoeClarkArrested

The Goshfather
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles So Wut U Wanna Do??
Jaden is simply comfortable in his own skin, casually defying dated gender rules.

Didn't know there was a time limit on men being men:mindblown: When did gender rules become outdated:dahell: The fukk is this hoe talmbout...To believe that's it's normal to be something besides what you really are is some sick shyt:snoop:

ImmaGetJoeClarkArrested

The Goshfather
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles So Wut U Wanna Do??
Insightful article. Can't wait to read the next thread bytching about the "pressures" of being male and lack of emotional support system while reading the macho macho trash in this. :dead:
So you prefer for men to not have a backbone and just do whatever feels good at that time:what: