Black fatherless myth shattered. If you grew up without a father you were in the minority. Stats have been misused to push a false narrative

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Yall nikkas will fall for anything. There is no way you grew up in a black community within the last 40 years and didn’t notice that there are a significant amount of kids who have absentee fathers
I grew up with a lot of black people who had their father in their lives more than black people who didn’t have their fathers in their lives and I grew up without a father myself. Deadbeat fathers are in every race, but black fathers are more in their children lives.

If the people I know who fathers weren’t around, they were either dead or in jail and when they got out they still were involved with their kids. I can’t say the same about my father because he was a poor excuse of a father who lived in the suburbs while I was living in a poor neighborhood.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let me be clear. When I say absentee, the father could be absentee for reasons beyond his control. With that being said, they may be using stats where the father pays child support but isn’t present, or the guy that pays child support but is barely present. Having your kid(s) one weekend out the month doesn’t make you a father. I say this while having 3 single fathers in my immediate family/friends

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Yall nikkas will fall for anything. There is no way you grew up in a black community within the last 40 years and didn’t notice that there are a significant amount of kids who have absentee fathers

Studies have been done citing Black fathers to be more hands on with their children than other races of fathers too.
I grew up in the early 2000’s and all my friends and cousins knew their pops, they weren’t always in the house but they were in their children’s lives.

I don’t think they’re saying deadbeat Black fathers aren’t in the community, I think they’re emphasizing that we’re no more deadbeat than other races of fathers.
It’s an untrue and unfair stigma on Black men.

Last edited:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Let me be clear. When I say absentee, the father could be absentee for reasons beyond his control. With that being said, they may be using stats where the father pays child support but isn’t present, or the guy that pays child support but is barely present. Having your kid(s) one weekend out the month doesn’t make you a father. I say this while having 3 single fathers in my immediate family/friends
No, they are not using child support payments in the stats. The actual study also did not ask the men what they did, it asked the mothers of the children how involved the men were. This was not a study done particularly on Black fathers, it was one done on fathers of all races. What the results found was that Black fathers are the most involved in their children's life, compared to all the other ethnicities.

Also, this was a study conducted by multiple organizations, one being the CDC.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
You grew up in a Black community, you did not grow up in all Black communities. Your personal experience is not the totality of all experience on the issue. That is why studies are conducted, because going by a single or even multiple people's anecdotal evidence does not give a true picture of what is actually going on.

Also, biasness plays a part in what some claim is reality, while using statistics seeks to remove as much of the bias from the information as possible.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
I grew up with a lot of black people who had their father in their lives more than black people who didn’t have their fathers in their lives and I grew up without a father myself. Deadbeat fathers are in every race, but black fathers are more in their children lives.

If the people I know who fathers weren’t around, they were either dead or in jail and when they got out they still were involved with their kids. I can’t say the same about my father because he was a poor excuse of a father who lived in the suburbs while I was living in a poor neighborhood.
Man I knew a cat grew up with both parents in the home. Way better than a lot of us had it. Mother was on the school board. Father played ball overseas and was on the Globetrotters for a bit. Him and his brother are both in prison for murder and robbing a federal bank respectively. Like I get the having both parents in the home argument but…

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What a dumb thread. The community wouldn't currently be in the disastrous state it currently is if black kids were growing up with strong fathers in their households. Bury your heads in the sand though. :mjlol:

The thing is "not in the household" doesnt equal a deadbeat. But its often framed that black fathers just arent in the picture at all. But yes,those fathers werent around enough to my liking,but isnt that the law? Weekend visitation:francis:?

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Man I knew a cat grew up with both parents in the home. Way better than a lot of us had it. Mother was on the school board. Father played ball overseas and was on the Globetrotters for a bit. Him and his brother are both in prison for murder and robbing a federal bank respectively. Like I get the having both parents in the home argument but…
When people make that claim, they are basing it on the preponderance of statistical evidence that show the outcomes. Outliers and anecdotal evidence does not change the fact that the stats demonstrate that the majority of the time, by an extremely large margin, having both parents creates better outcomes for children raised into adults.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Smh, Imma try to finish but this breh. Sigh. Breh with the Barry jersey was talking about murdering children. Aka abortion. He starts quoting stats about so called "black on black" crime. That wasn't what he was referring to.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:russ:Fax! It is a myth. The Father not being around is a racist stereotype and not laced in an ounce of truth.