Bible brehs : Lets talk about Ephesians 6:5

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
On the surface, this certainly appears true. However, When looking at the evidence, one has to remember that the Bible was created in a time when slavery was certainly condoned. Paul’s letters mention slavery so often because Christianity appealed to slaves. Many slaves converted to the new religion of Christianity because of Christianity’s message of justice and freedom. Nonetheless, Christianity was an outlawed religion in the Roman Empire. Therefore, Paul counseled his followers, if they were slaves, to be peaceable and obedient so that further oppression would not be brought down on the heads of slaves as well as upon the members of the Church in general. The verses about obedience are not condoning slavery but are practical matters to try to prevent further suffering of Christians, whether slave or free.

:heh: Bible outlaws everything except slavery. No fornication, no adultery, not stealing, but enslaving your fellow man, :ehh: Old Testament has laws about how long your hair can be, but nothing against slavery, SEEING AS THE HEBREWS USED TO BE SLAVES???!!!!!!!! :what:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
:laff: Paul telling the christians to fly under the radar and be good slaves... why wouldn't he give the same advice to the Black slaves in America?

Also, why are the words of Paul holy? Isn't he just another man? Why is anything he says sacred? :heh:

:beli: So because he uses the same word "slave" it means the same American slavery?:usure: Nope, the slaves Paul was writing to did it voluntary. During American slavery many/most was based on kidnapping, forced labor. Along with rape, teaching that we were less then human because of our skin color. To compare the two is :comeon:

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Nope, the slaves Paul was writing to did it voluntary.

PROOF, BROTHER? :beli:

http://bible.org/seriespage/submission-and-slavery-ephesians-65-9

Slavery in the Roman Empire

The slavery of Paul’s day was fraught with abuse. William Barclay writes of the evils of slavery in the Roman empire during the time Paul wrote this epistle to the Ephesians.

“It has been computed that in the Roman Empire there were 60,000,000 slaves. In Paul’s day a kind of terrible idleness had fallen on the citizens of Rome. Rome was the mistress of the world, and therefore it was beneath the dignity of a Roman citizen to work. Practically all work was done by slaves. Even doctors and teachers, even the closest friends of the Emperors, their secretaries who dealt with letters and appeals and finance, were slaves.

Often there were bonds of the deepest loyalty and affection between master and slave … But basically the life of the slave was grim and terrible. In law he was not a person but a thing. Aristotle lays it down that there can never be friendship between master and slave, for they have nothing in common; ‘for a slave is a living tool, just as a tool is an inanimate slave.’ Varro, writing on agriculture, divides agricultural instruments into three classes—the articulate, the inarticulate, and the mute. The articulate comprises the slaves; the inarticulate the cattle; and the mute the vehicles. The slave is no better than a beast who happens to be able to talk. Cato gives advice to a man taking over a farm. He must go over it and throw out everything that is past its work; and old slaves too must be thrown out on the scrap heap to starve. When a slave is ill it is sheer extravagance to issue him with normal rations.

The law was quite clear. Gaius, the Roman lawyer, in the Institutes lays it down: ‘We may note that it is universally accepted that the master possesses the power of life and death over the slave.’ If the slave ran away, at best he was branded on the forehead with the letter F for fugitivus, which means runaway, at worst he was killed. The terror of the slave was that he was absolutely at the caprice of his master. Augustus crucified a slave because he killed a pet quail. Vedius Pollio flung a slave still living to the savage lampreys in his fish pond because he dropped and broke a crystal goblet. Juvenal tells of a Roman matron who ordered a slave to be killed for no other reason than that she lost her temper with him. When her husband protested, she said: ‘You call a slave a man, do you? He has done no wrong, you say? Be it so; it is my will and my command; let my will be the voucher for the deed.’ The slaves who were maids to their mistresses often had their hair torn out and their cheeks torn with their mistresses’ nails. Juvenal tells of the master ‘who delights in the sound of a cruel flogging thinking it sweeter than any siren’s song,’ or ‘who revels in clanking chains,’ or, ‘who summons a torturer and brands the slave because a couple of towels are lost.’ A Roman writer lays it down: ‘Whatever a master does to a slave, undeservedly, in anger, willingly, unwillingly, in forgetfulness, after careful thought, knowingly, unknowingly, is judgment, justice and law.’”

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
the bible in a nutshell

5f35e7_3584831.jpg

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
:heh: Bible outlaws everything except slavery. No fornication, no adultery, not stealing, but enslaving your fellow man, :ehh: Old Testament has laws about how long your hair can be, but nothing against slavery, SEEING AS THE HEBREWS USED TO BE SLAVES???!!!!!!!! :what:

yeah old testament a trip..u goto war with somebody..u got the right to take that nikka bytch...clean her up..n make her yours...

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit

My point was it was voluntary in terms of how they became slaves. I agree they were mistreated and the New Testament is clear about how these slaves were to be treated.

Ephesians 6
And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
My point was it was voluntary in terms of how they became slaves. I agree they were mistreated and the New Testament is clear about how these slaves were to be treated.

Ephesians 6
And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

I see... So I agree with you. I bet there was some really nice, kind and patient slavem asters in 18th century. They probably did not threaten their slaves.

:youngsabo:

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
I agree they were mistreated and the New Testament is clear about how these slaves were to be treated.

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

IS THIS THE SAME GOD AS PAUL'S, BROTHER? DID HE DO A FACE TURN?

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
I would debATE WITH OP but he clearly already has his mind made up and this nothing but a bait thread.:leostare:

I would neg op but he done coatride a lot of other nikkas dikk to get green where my neg wouldn't matter. :ld:

So carry on my nigg! And down with the infidel christian nikkas who are self haters bc they are black ::beli:

:shaq2:

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

IS THIS THE SAME GOD AS PAUL'S, BROTHER? DID HE DO A FACE TURN?

The irony of convo is that I'm sitting here with a Hulkamania shirt on and talking to an alias. :krs: But read the beginning of that chapter brother. And you'll understand the property word, brother.