Better Director, Paul Thomas Anderson or Christopher Nolan?

Better Director

• Paul Thomas Anderson

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Christopher Nolan

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Good question. I'ma gonna say PTA, I think he's the best director of this generation. But Nolan, Tarantino, and Fincher are right there.

Also I think Nolan's artistry is under-minded because his movies are commercially successful.

That's his own fault for making his movies more pretentious and heavy handed with expository dialogue the more commercial his movies became. I'm not gonna repost it but that Honest Trailer about Interstellar hit the mark precisely about characters going off on unnecessary speeches about their character motivations.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I enjoy Nolan films more...thats why he gets my vote. I watch movies to be entertained, and while i know PTA may make for a better director, his movies have less replay value to me.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
While I can see that PTA is a really good director I often dislike his movies because of the cast, I can't stand PSH (yeah yeah I know you think he's great) and Luis Guzmán and others

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
That's his own fault for making his movies more pretentious and heavy handed with expository dialogue the more commercial his movies became. I'm not gonna repost it but that Honest Trailer about Interstellar hit the mark precisely about characters going off on unnecessary speeches about their character motivations.
Interstellar >Inherent Vice :mjpls:

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
imo nolan movies are far greater than PTA's. Looking at his list of movies right now and honestly i only really like two (boogie nights, magnolia) and his most recent one was just flat out trash in my book :beli:....TDK, memento, insomnia, prestige, & inception are more replayable and enjoyable (to me) than anything PTA has directed

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boogie Nights was dope, Magnolia was cool, There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece. PTA is a great director.

But Nolan has an unique ability to push the envelope of storytelling while still be grossly commercially successful.

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
Oroginally picked nolan cause batman series was one of the goat trilogies (last one was ehhhhhhh tho), inception was dope and i absolutely love the prestige (one of my favs ever). I thought memento was overrated.

But boogie nights is a classic. Inherent vice was dope and wacky. The master is superb as well as there will be blood.

Rest of the movies i dont remember or never saw but both great directors.