BET new series "REBEL"

RehReh

đź–¤GhettoEmpressđź–¤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
im watching now and so far its quite good, decent soundtrack, feeling the sistas natural hair styles that alone is refreshing. The storyline escalated quite quickly I thought, yo why the lady remind me of young Ms Lauryn Hill so much

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
BET fires my friend
BET cans exec who says she was recovering from breast cancer

conflead1f-1-web.jpg

Head of Programming at BET Zola Mashariki says BET let her go while she was on medical leave for breast cancer treatment.
(Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for BET)

Confidential

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, March 31, 2017, 2:40 PM
Don’t BET on it.

Respected trade publications including Variety and The Wrap reported this week that BET has confirmed to them that Head of Programming Zola Mashariki had been let go. That came as a surprise to Mashariki, who's on medical leave and expected to return in a couple of weeks.

It was first reported on Wednesday that Mashariki, along with BET President of Programming Stephen Hill, was exiting the network as part of a programming shakeup executed by Viacom CEO Bob Bakish.

On Friday, Mashariki attempted to set the record straight by sending an email to co-workers saying that she's been on medical leave since being diagnosed with breast cancer in December and plans to come back on April 11.

Bloodbath at NY1: Spectrum axes several longtime staffers

“Bob Bakish has said our company values should be honesty, empathy and bravery. I agree with this wholeheartedly,” she wrote, adding that “without question, including me in Stephen's departure announcement in not in keeping with those values.”

Sources close to the situation say that there have been tensions between Mashariki and Hill since she came over to BET from Fox Searchlight in 2014.

We're told that when Mashariki first informed BET that she was taking leave, Hill expressed discontent with her absence.

“You can't fire someone on medical leave,” fumed one angry insider. “Her contract is through 2018.”

Fired Preet Bharara eyeing college, law firm jobs, even politics

As part of BET's restructuring, they will also be closing offices in Washington, D.C., and moving some staffers to Los Angeles.

BET rep Tracy McGraw, who confirms that Mashariki is no longer with the network, insists that they did nothing wrong.

“We strongly deny any allegation of wrongdoing. In addition, we will not comment on specific employee matters,” said McGraw.

After the Daily News called to ask about this story, a separate source says BET leaked their side of the story to a rival news outlet hoping for friendlier coverage.

BET did not immediately respond to that accusation

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Those name drops in that first episode........:pachaha:

"Felix....Lil D.....Ant Flowers........":deadrose:

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
It's John Singleton's baby so I wanna see this win, but somehow i think this should've gone Netflix so it wouldn't have been watered down by network rules...

#1 Gotta chuck those damn catchphrase promos cause they're just corny

#2 Make the background music current so people from outside know what the Yay Area sounds like today...Fonzarelli is my weoples all day but hyphy is loong gone.. No Jacka?? No Mistah Fab?? What about Mozzy??

#3 We know Rebel is 'sposed to be a salute to Queen Pam Grier but how 'bout allowing her to carve out her own lane+identity...We don't need the reference in our face every 5 mins

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Like the show so far but they have to tone down on the Rebel being able to take down multiple people by herself type shyt. I understand they want to make her a strong black heroine (as they should) but some of the stuff so far has been unbelievable. Still a pretty good show thus far though.