Best workout program for someone skinny who's never touched a weight.

Daps
Reppin
DMV
Google mens health...scrawny to brawny workout or do 5x5 stronglifts I did both of those blew up to 185 lbs...eat mainly carbs and eat twice in calories your bodyweight...incorporate bodyweight exercises at home like pullups and pushups

Daps
Reppin
DMV
Like Luck said any program will work as long as you progressively overload. the best ones imo are stronglifts, push pull leg splits and fullbody bodyweight workout (pullups, dips, pushups, squats and lunges)...

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
I started on SS and 5x5 but made zero progress. Got bored doing the same 3 excercises and only going 3 days a week made it easy for me to give up and miss workouts. Switched to PPL 6 times per week and I've increased in size and strength. You do you main lifts first Deadlift on pull days, bench on push days and squat for legs and then you accessory work after that. Helped me not get bored and develop a routine.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just lift heavy and make sure to hit every muscle group. When your new to the weights anything will get you gains. Trying to follow a workout plan early might disinterest you in working out fast.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
I started on SS and 5x5 but made zero progress. Got bored doing the same 3 excercises and only going 3 days a week made it easy for me to give up and miss workouts. Switched to PPL 6 times per week and I've increased in size and strength. You do you main lifts first Deadlift on pull days, bench on push days and squat for legs and then you accessory work after that. Helped me not get bored and develop a routine.
Did working out 6 days out of the week tire you out when you first started lifting?

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
Did working out 6 days out of the week tire you out when you first started lifting?
Nope. Weightlifting isn't like cardio. Only time a work up a serious sweat is on squats and deadlifts. The 6 day schedule keeps me consistent. I'll be honest I don't always make it to every workout but having a 6 day split means If I kiss it on Monday I'll hit it on Thursdsy but for the most part I try not to miss a day. The 3 day workout made it easy to get lazy. If you go Monday but don't go Tuesday it's easy to not go Wednesday and since Thursday was gonna be off anyway you don't go because then that messes up your schedule then Friday comes and you're like okay I'll just start over on Monday blah blah. Well that's how it went for me anyway. Having only 1 real rest day makes t easier to stay consistent

NerdNash

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
You have to crack some eggs to make an omelet.... fat gain is just part of the protocol at the beginning, though I agree it can be excessive.

There are a few aspects to your approach I would recommend.

Routine- I would probably fukk with Layne Norton's PHAT or some kind of upper/lower split. Full body can work but for me personally I like to keep leg stuff on its own day. It's not fun to rush legs. Also take your time to really learn the movements and build good habits. Progress wise starting out you should probably just start with the barbell and just add 5-10lb per week.... once that stops switch to a rep based progression scheme.
Diet- This is the more important part. Learn how to count calories, and basically make sure you get 1g of protein per lb of body weight (you can probably do more) and try not to gain more than 1lb of body weight a week. Everything else like how many carbs vs fats is really personal preference IMO, you have to figure that out
Other shyt- make sure your SLEEP is on point. I would also fukk with some kind of vitamin stack. Only supplements I really recommend are creatine and L-arginine

Its going to be a process but we have all been through it so you are getting a nice head start.

Thanks for this

Namekian Maranantha

...Ammmeeeen.
Daps
Most of the info here i would not take. If you are skinny and have never lifted a weight before, then doing big "heavy" lifts will be counter productive. You dont want to do that. Your body isn't accustomed to the stress. Your nervous system isn't accustomed to the stimulation. Your motor neurons are not sufficiently linked to muscle fibers.

The best program for you brah, is to starting off with light weight, high rep lifts (depending on your condition...i wouldn't even suggest touching a barbell and sticking to body weight exercises for now) that target major muscle groups. The main thing you want to keep in mind are the following:

- TECHNIQUE
- Gradualnes
- Consistency
- Gradualness
and...
- TECHNIQUE...

Diet is most important aside from the style of training

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Most of the info here i would not take. If you are skinny and have never lifted a weight before, then doing big "heavy" lifts will be counter productive. You dont want to do that. Your body isn't accustomed to the stress. Your nervous system isn't accustomed to the stimulation. Your motor neurons are not sufficiently linked to muscle fibers.

The best program for you brah, is to starting off with light weight, high rep lifts (depending on your condition...i wouldn't even suggest touching a barbell and sticking to body weight exercises for now) that target major muscle groups. The main thing you want to keep in mind are the following:

- TECHNIQUE
- Gradualnes
- Consistency
- Gradualness
and...
- TECHNIQUE...

Everyone has to start somewhere

Not going to learn how to do barbell lifts.... until he picks up a barbell

Benching/squatting a barbell with nothing else is pretty low risk as well.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps

- TECHNIQUE
- Gradualnes
- Consistency
- Gradualness
and...
- TECHNIQUE...

I've been doing bodyweight excercises (push up, dip, pull ups ect) for about a year now and have gotten my numbers up on those excercises and built some decent strength . I was just thinking i wanted to transition into the weights cause i figured it might be better to bulk up.

Namekian Maranantha

...Ammmeeeen.
Daps
I've been doing bodyweight excercises (push up, dip, pull ups ect) for about a year now and have gotten my numbers up on those excercises and built some decent strength . I was just thinking i wanted to transition into the weights cause i figured it might be better to bulk up.

In that case go on ahead and pick up a barbell keeping in mind technique, gradualness and consistency.

Gradualness cannot be overstressed. From my experience, thats one of the main flaws ive seen in those who are new to weight training. They are so eager to get 'gains', they end up going toooo hard and burn out(not suggesting you are like this). So they arent able to keep a consistent schedule and therefore compromise their gains.