Best workout program for someone skinny who's never touched a weight.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
:jbhmm:

Been looking online and see alot of 4-5 day bodybuilding splits and also did a little research on the 5x5 SL but i dont know which is best. My biggest concern is wasting my time doing something wrong when i could be maximizing my gains with a better starting program. So what did yall do a first and wha would you recommend.

:jbhmm:

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
A long time if you aren't strong. A traditional split is kind of worthless if don't have strength to progressively overload.

I say that without knowing what your goal is however.
My goal now is to get stronger while hopefully building a better physique. As i mentioned im skinny af now so bulking up is also a big goal of mine.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
My goal now is to get stronger while hopefully building a better physique. As i mentioned im skinny af now so bulking up is also a big goal of mine.
I would still suggest a 5x5. That said if you aren't eating enough and well then you won't build much. You have to be very consistent on both fronts to build muscle optimally.

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps

Bulking up should be ur number 1 priority breh. You can lift but if u aint bulking u not gonna make any gains

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Your main focus should be ya diet and going on a clean bulk because no matter what workout you do you'll get "noob" gains.

Just find something that you like, hits everything and works with your schedule and stay consistent. You'll put on muscle regardless breh. Like I said, make sure you're eating enough, eat clean so you don't get fat and you'll be good

Columbo

Lieutenant
Daps
Reppin
Homicide Investigations
Eat alotta fruits and protein...

Red meat
Chicken
Tuna fish
Greek yogurt
Chocolate milkshakes

Vegetables too if you like them, and you gotta get some carbs in there too

Pancakes, load up on that butter
Sandwiches

@Luck gave you good advice breh, its more about your diet then exercise.

And dont over do it with lifting, if your struggling and shaking your lifting too much. Perfect form is very important

Stretch first too, especially your shoulders

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Yeah i just dont wanna pick a program thats not intense enough and get fat.
You have to crack some eggs to make an omelet.... fat gain is just part of the protocol at the beginning, though I agree it can be excessive.

There are a few aspects to your approach I would recommend.

Routine- I would probably fukk with Layne Norton's PHAT or some kind of upper/lower split. Full body can work but for me personally I like to keep leg stuff on its own day. It's not fun to rush legs. Also take your time to really learn the movements and build good habits. Progress wise starting out you should probably just start with the barbell and just add 5-10lb per week.... once that stops switch to a rep based progression scheme.
Diet- This is the more important part. Learn how to count calories, and basically make sure you get 1g of protein per lb of body weight (you can probably do more) and try not to gain more than 1lb of body weight a week. Everything else like how many carbs vs fats is really personal preference IMO, you have to figure that out
Other shyt- make sure your SLEEP is on point. I would also fukk with some kind of vitamin stack. Only supplements I really recommend are creatine and L-arginine

Its going to be a process but we have all been through it so you are getting a nice head start.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
You have to crack some eggs to make an omelet.... fat gain is just part of the protocol at the beginning, though I agree it can be excessive.

There are a few aspects to your approach I would recommend.

Routine- I would probably fukk with Layne Norton's PHAT or some kind of upper/lower split. Full body can work but for me personally I like to keep leg stuff on its own day. It's not fun to rush legs. Also take your time to really learn the movements and build good habits. Progress wise starting out you should probably just start with the barbell and just add 5-10lb per week.... once that stops switch to a rep based progression scheme.
Diet- This is the more important part. Learn how to count calories, and basically make sure you get 1g of protein per lb of body weight (you can probably do more) and try not to gain more than 1lb of body weight a week. Everything else like how many carbs vs fats is really personal preference IMO, you have to figure that out
Other shyt- make sure your SLEEP is on point. I would also fukk with some kind of vitamin stack. Only supplements I really recommend are creatine and L-arginine

Its going to be a process but we have all been through it so you are getting a nice head start.
Program looks pretty good :ehh:

Some of the 5x5 and full body programs had you doing squats like 3 days a week which seems like a bit much to me.

But i might give it a try.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Program looks pretty good :ehh:

Some of the 5x5 and full body programs had you doing squats like 3 days a week which seems like a bit much to me.

But i might give it a try.
Yea Im personally not a fan of the 3x5/5x5 type programs. I think it's good to vary the reps, and if you are going for looks you need some high rep stuff. No point in waiting.

PHAT is just a starting point, you can tweak it how you like. I just like its basic structure.... upper/lower split, antagonizing super sets (i.e. push/pull). shyt clicked with me as soon as I saw it

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps
1g of protein per body weight is way too much protein. Should probably stick to .08 g per body weight