Best Combat Move in An Action Game?

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
The best combat move I've ever experienced in an action game is called the Intercept. It was a counter attack that is only available through the Hurricane Packs DLC for Ninja Gaiden on the original X-Box. In the Intercept, Ryu intercepts an attack just as it is about to land, resulting in a slight blue flash and preventing him from receiving any damage. This technique is even able to cancel damage from fireballs, flying pillars and rockets. It is also able to charge an instant Ultimate Technique if there is enough essence floating around to fuel it, making it the ultimate counterattack. This move was so fun I actually enjoyed fighting the small fry for once and boss battles became more engaging. Are there any recent games that have a similar technique? Here's an old vid I found of someone fighting Doku with the intercept:

"Intercept was amazing and took precise rhythmic timing to execute, you had to become 'one' with enemy blows. It definitely did not 'break' the game, it was tricky and added much more adrenaline to the combat." - some forum dude​

---
Once you start to learn to intercept, you'll be tapping Left Trigger constantly. Instead of holding down the Left Trigger to block, it's a series of quick taps and attacks that make for a much more intense battle. Try fighting six cat-women while using the Intercept Technique. It's furious, but also satisfying.

the Intercept Technique changes the entire fight dynamic of Ninja Gaiden

Making use of the Intercept Technique multiple times in a fight removes the need to hold block and therefore leave Ryu standing still during combat. You can stay on the move, but still block attacks, even attacks once impossible to defend. But it's the instant attack afterwards that add speed to combat, because you are blocking and attacking in one motion. With the fluidity of combos as they are, you can run along a wall, intercept an attack, instantly perform a spinning slash on an enemy, and then chain that into a long combo, intercepting once again as the combo ends and continuing the string. It's better than any Soul Cal fight you've ever seen. - from IGN Ninja Gaiden: Intercept - IGN

I forgot how fantastic this game was. :wow:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I might as well give a shout out to BoTW for how its physics and chemistry system is implemented into combat. I never realized how deep it was until I played Trial of the Sword in Master Mode. When you fight Shrine Guardians in that mode they will fukk you up if you don’t learn how to stun-lock enemies with fire and electricity. you gotta use a combination of stun-locks and stasis

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
NGB truly a flawless game. I was gonna come in here and post flying swallow but OP went with the better choice anyway

:wow:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
turning zombie in metal slug 3. your mobility is much worse but your grenade is replaced by a massive stream of toxic vomit that starts horizontal and moves up to about 75 degrees. first time i got hit by the zombie, i thought i was going to die. i was totally shocked to find out that i would resurrect as a zombie and have a whole new play mechanic.

they also have an obesity mechanic. more games need character transformation so you can experience more gameplay variety.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
The ability to do a piledriver off a rooftop in Spiderman 2 (I think it was that one)
I hate you can’t do the super jump in miles morales unless I have to unlock it. First spider man game I play since spider man 2 from ps2 era

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
NGB truly a flawless game. I was gonna come in here and post flying swallow but OP went with the better choice anyway

:wow:
Man I loved Flying Swallow. It was so OP they nerfed it in 2, then replaced it by the third game. :martin:

Ninja gaiden 2 when you jump and do the forward dash/slash…I popped more heads off with that move :wow:…Edit lmao am I talking about the same move y’all talking about in here? I use to spam that shyt like crazy
Naw. Intercept is something else.
But yeah I used to Flying Swallow then Intercept almost immediately afterwards with some jumping around and button-mashin. shyt was fun af :whew: