Being overweight is normal now, more people are obese than just overweight

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-more-americans-obese-than-overweight-20150620-story.html

2/3s of US adults over 25 are either overweight or obese. More of that 2/3s are obese than overweight.

How has the obesity rate gotten so high for black women? A 57% obesity rate is insane and the remaining 43% is split between overweight / normal weight / underweight. That makes the vast majority of black women obese. The obesity rate for women in general 20% lower at 37%.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Not that it isn't an issue but those numbers are always going to be skewed.

I'm in decent shape/health and by the standard metrics I am overweight.
I'm betting the average person isn't packing on enough pounds of muscle bulking and cutting and putting work on in the gym to be overweight due to muscle though. Definitely not to be considered obese due to muscle mass.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I'm betting the average person isn't packing on enough pounds of muscle bulking and cutting and putting work on in the gym to be overweight due to muscle though. Definitely not to be considered obese due to muscle mass.
The average no but what would that do to the overall numbers if it was taken into account?

Regardless those are some alarming numbers.

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
I don't go by bmi standards when it comes to being overweight so cats shorts as hell like 5-9 but are in shape and weigh 180 I just got done doing a paper on childhood obesity and honestly I feel the way the parents raise there children is the number 1 cause for adult obesity because they carry themselves like that until they become a adult

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
As someone who was 6'1 275lbs at one point...the op isn't lying its an epidemic. I live in the deep south...Mississippi to be exact and the amount of people you see that are young and obese is startling. Its like a culture thing and I've even experienced that through my family. I'm currently around 199lbs and have lost a little over 50lbs. My family keeps telling me I'm getting too small and "poor" looking but they don't understand my vision. The thing is I'm trying to get rid of the fat and then go back and put on muscle. So you have some people that will "health shame" you into thinking its okay to have belly rolls.

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
As someone who was 6'1 275lbs at one point...the op isn't lying its an epidemic. I live in the deep south...Mississippi to be exact and the amount of people you see that are young and obese is startling. Its like a culture thing and I've even experienced that through my family. I'm currently around 199lbs and have lost a little over 50lbs. My family keeps telling me I'm getting too small and "poor" looking but they don't understand my vision. The thing is I'm trying to get rid of the fat and then go back and put on muscle. So you have some people that will "health shame" you into thinking its okay to have belly rolls.

Do you think the problem started at your youth stages as far as the habits taught to you by your parents??

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
Do you think the problem started at your youth stages as far as the habits taught to you by your parents??

Absolutely I only consumed my personal favorite dishes growing up. I never was required to eat a well balanced meal that hit all the macro-nutrients I needed. When I woke up in the morning I wanted multiple grilled cheese sandwiches. I liked eating massive amounts of junk food and fast food. So I've been a big person for the majority of my life. It wasn't until I started watching documentaries on Netflix like Forks Over Knives that I realized just how much I didn't know. That shyt sounded like penis pills to me at first... you mean all I gotta do is eat at a caloric deficit and I'm going to lose weight...I couldn't believe that shyt. I thought I needed to join a gym and exercise for hours a week to lose weight. You wouldn't believe how many people out there believe the very same thing and stay in the dark about losing weight.

Both of my parents have Type II diabetes, heart disease, obesity etc. I just turned 30 and felt like it was time for me to make a change or end up in the same boat as them. All the information people need to be successful is out there in abundance.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
For me I was overweight in high school but I didn't become ridiculous with it till I got to college. My parents didn't teach me any of it. When I got a job at 16 I bought my own food and ate whatever I wanted. I spend the bulk of my 20s not eating "real food" at all.

I actually do have healthy habits my parents taught me like mostly drink water and I eat a lot of soy meat products to this very day. You can't eat nothing but processed food in the microwave and snack products and not blow up and I got to 280 at 5'10 by the time I finished college. One day I work up and decided I was gonna do whatever it took to get my weight handled. That day at my size I cut my calories down to 1800-2000 at a hard limit which I maintained for almost 5 months. I pretty much never exceeded 2000 calories with was a bit below my BMR. I went to the gym hard and spend hours on the cardio equipment and a bit of time in the weight room and I got down to about 200 pounds. People kept telling me I looked good at that weight and I should stop so eventually I abandoned my goal of getting down to 180 and just stopped.

After that my weight over the span of a few years crept back up to about 245. I'm back in the gym now something I stopped doing when I got busy with work after I got a different job. I've since lost 19 pounds over the last 30 days. Losing weight again has been very easy. Easier than it was the first time. It was like in my mind I walked into a room and flipped a light switch and that was it. I've been locked on again. I will admit I eat about 2400 calories a day now instead of eating like a woman but I'm matching my pace of weight loss from back then.

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
For me I was overweight in high school but I didn't become ridiculous with it till I got to college. My parents didn't teach me any of it. When I got a job at 16 I bought my own food and ate whatever I wanted. I spend the bulk of my 20s not eating "real food" at all.

I actually do have healthy habits my parents taught me like mostly drink water and I eat a lot of soy meat products to this very day. You can't eat nothing but processed food in the microwave and snack products and not blow up and I got to 280 at 5'10 by the time I finished college. One day I work up and decided I was gonna do whatever it took to get my weight handled. That day at my size I cut my calories down to 1800-2000 at a hard limit which I maintained for almost 5 months. I pretty much never exceeded 2000 calories with was a bit below my BMR. I went to the gym hard and spend hours on the cardio equipment and a bit of time in the weight room and I got down to about 200 pounds. People kept telling me I looked good at that weight and I should stop so eventually I abandoned my goal of getting down to 180 and just stopped.

After that my weight over the span of a few years crept back up to about 245. I'm back in the gym now something I stopped doing when I got busy with work after I got a different job. I've since lost 19 pounds over the last 30 days. Losing weight again has been very easy. Easier than it was the first time. It was like in my mind I walked into a room and flipped a light switch and that was it. I've been locked on again. I will admit I eat about 2400 calories a day now instead of eating like a woman but I'm matching my pace of weight loss from back then.

Keep up the good work i think my biggest problem about this situation is seeing kids younger than 16 obese or overweight and then following that lifestyle and not knowing the dangers when you get older and the parents not giving a damn

I see a lot of people in your situation though who make a big change in high school or once they get out and start to gain weight

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Keep up the good work i think my biggest problem about this situation is seeing kids younger than 16 obese or overweight and then following that lifestyle and not knowing the dangers when you get older and the parents not giving a damn

I see a lot of people in your situation though who make a big change in high school or once they get out and start to gain weight
All the food advertise and feed us is pretty much poison. It's bad and using Myfitnesspal i noticed in the beginning I was eating about 5000 mgs of Sodium. I'm in the process of cleaning up my diet and getting that down by a lot.

I'm starting to think the food business is legalized drug dealing too.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
If I was 6'1" 2 bucks :wow: glad you changed your lifestyle/health breh