*barking dogs* All I Need Is One Quarterback:2016 Ohio State Buckeyes Prove We Are Stillmatic Thread

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
McShay's top-five takeaways from Ohio State's pro day

Ohio State held one of the most anticipated pro days in recent memory on Friday, with representatives of all 32 NFL teams (including six head coaches) in attendance. In all, 22 Buckeyes worked out for NFL talent evaluators -- and of those, I have "draftable" grades on 14, with 11 in my top 75.

I was on hand in Columbus to see the workouts. Here are my top five takeaways.

1. Cardale Jones helped himself. Coming off a hamstring injury suffered at the NFL combine, Jones showed good quickness in his drops when taking snaps from under center. That was a clear improvement from what I've seen on tape, where he showed lazy feet this season -- almost like he was stuck in cement. Going into the workout, we knew Jones had one of the strongest arms in the draft, and on Friday, the majority of his deep balls were exceptional. He had a better base when he dropped back to throw, and there were a few flashes of what was so exciting about Jones as a prospect during his three-game run as starter to help propel Ohio State to the 2015 national championship.

With that said, he was late on several throws, which is highly concerning. Jones' timing has never really been there on tape, but I was hoping it'd be a little better, considering this was a scripted routine and he was throwing against air to receivers with whom he's familiar. Whether teams think he has the ability to drastically improve in that area will affect his draft stock perhaps more than anything else. Overall, he had an above-average day, and it's a positive sign that he's making strides with his footwork, but he's still a massive developmental project. Day 3 is where a team will likely take a chance on Jones because it's a low-risk venture for a quarterback who possesses appealing physical tools to mold.

2. Joey Bosa and Ezekiel Elliott are on a different level. It's hard to describe, but when Bosa and/or Elliott are doing a drill, the entire energy changes. After an outstanding performance at the combine, Elliott had nothing left to prove at the pro day, but he showed up anyway and caught some passes from Jones. He's so smooth and effortless in that area, adding to his reputation as one of the most complete RBs seen in the past few years. He almost looked like a wide receiver adjusting and reaching back for the ball.

The only thing talent evaluators really wanted to see from Bosa was an improved 40 time, after he turned in a 4.86 at the combine. On Friday, he ran in the mid to high 4.7s, so he took care of business there. Bosa is never going to be an elite speed rusher off the edge, but he wins with exceptional technique and hand usage, which he put on display during on-field drills. Perhaps the most important thing that came across was that Bosa just loves football. He did linebacker drills -- and looked great in them -- even though no one really expected that out of him. Will it be enough for him to go No. 1 overall to the Tennessee Titans? His younger brother Nick hopes so, showing up to the pro day decked out in Titans gear from head to toe.

There are only a half-dozen players in this draft whom I'd really pound the table for, and Bosa and Elliott are two of them.

3. Braxton Miller continues to improve. After running a 4.50 at the combine, Miller's 40 time registered in the low 4.4s on Friday. He's still not a finished product -- he has been playing wide receiver for only a year -- but Miller showed explosiveness and continued to improve his route running. He also had a couple of nice adjustments while the ball was in the air. The indicators that we've seen so far suggest that he should be able to make the transition. Miller projects as a slot receiver who also adds value in the return game. I'd be surprised if he wasn't off the board by the end of Round 2.

4. Michael Thomas shows off great hands. One of Ohio State's top two receivers each of the past two seasons, Thomas didn't drop a pass during drills Friday. He's an underrated athlete, with his 40 ranging from 4.49 to 4.56. Coach Urban Meyer's offense doesn't run a true pro route tree, so Thomas will need to develop in that regard, but on tape you can see he has natural ball skills. While he may not be an elite receiver at the next level, he has the ability to develop into being a longtime starter on the outside. Thomas is a solid second-rounder in my book.

5. Adolphus Washington and Jalin Marshall didn't help their causes. Washington hurt his hamstring on his second 40-yard dash attempt, so he didn't get to do any other drills for scouts. And Marshall, after running a disappointing 4.6 40 at the combine, actually was worse Friday, clocking in around the mid-4.6s. He's really good with the ball in his hands, but he's a raw route runner as a slot guy and has just marginal hands. He should've stayed another year in school.

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
McShay's top-five takeaways from Ohio State's pro day

Ohio State held one of the most anticipated pro days in recent memory on Friday, with representatives of all 32 NFL teams (including six head coaches) in attendance. In all, 22 Buckeyes worked out for NFL talent evaluators -- and of those, I have "draftable" grades on 14, with 11 in my top 75.

I was on hand in Columbus to see the workouts. Here are my top five takeaways.

1. Cardale Jones helped himself. Coming off a hamstring injury suffered at the NFL combine, Jones showed good quickness in his drops when taking snaps from under center. That was a clear improvement from what I've seen on tape, where he showed lazy feet this season -- almost like he was stuck in cement. Going into the workout, we knew Jones had one of the strongest arms in the draft, and on Friday, the majority of his deep balls were exceptional. He had a better base when he dropped back to throw, and there were a few flashes of what was so exciting about Jones as a prospect during his three-game run as starter to help propel Ohio State to the 2015 national championship.

With that said, he was late on several throws, which is highly concerning. Jones' timing has never really been there on tape, but I was hoping it'd be a little better, considering this was a scripted routine and he was throwing against air to receivers with whom he's familiar. Whether teams think he has the ability to drastically improve in that area will affect his draft stock perhaps more than anything else. Overall, he had an above-average day, and it's a positive sign that he's making strides with his footwork, but he's still a massive developmental project. Day 3 is where a team will likely take a chance on Jones because it's a low-risk venture for a quarterback who possesses appealing physical tools to mold.

2. Joey Bosa and Ezekiel Elliott are on a different level. It's hard to describe, but when Bosa and/or Elliott are doing a drill, the entire energy changes. After an outstanding performance at the combine, Elliott had nothing left to prove at the pro day, but he showed up anyway and caught some passes from Jones. He's so smooth and effortless in that area, adding to his reputation as one of the most complete RBs seen in the past few years. He almost looked like a wide receiver adjusting and reaching back for the ball.

The only thing talent evaluators really wanted to see from Bosa was an improved 40 time, after he turned in a 4.86 at the combine. On Friday, he ran in the mid to high 4.7s, so he took care of business there. Bosa is never going to be an elite speed rusher off the edge, but he wins with exceptional technique and hand usage, which he put on display during on-field drills. Perhaps the most important thing that came across was that Bosa just loves football. He did linebacker drills -- and looked great in them -- even though no one really expected that out of him. Will it be enough for him to go No. 1 overall to the Tennessee Titans? His younger brother Nick hopes so, showing up to the pro day decked out in Titans gear from head to toe.

There are only a half-dozen players in this draft whom I'd really pound the table for, and Bosa and Elliott are two of them.

3. Braxton Miller continues to improve. After running a 4.50 at the combine, Miller's 40 time registered in the low 4.4s on Friday. He's still not a finished product -- he has been playing wide receiver for only a year -- but Miller showed explosiveness and continued to improve his route running. He also had a couple of nice adjustments while the ball was in the air. The indicators that we've seen so far suggest that he should be able to make the transition. Miller projects as a slot receiver who also adds value in the return game. I'd be surprised if he wasn't off the board by the end of Round 2.

4. Michael Thomas shows off great hands. One of Ohio State's top two receivers each of the past two seasons, Thomas didn't drop a pass during drills Friday. He's an underrated athlete, with his 40 ranging from 4.49 to 4.56. Coach Urban Meyer's offense doesn't run a true pro route tree, so Thomas will need to develop in that regard, but on tape you can see he has natural ball skills. While he may not be an elite receiver at the next level, he has the ability to develop into being a longtime starter on the outside. Thomas is a solid second-rounder in my book.

5. Adolphus Washington and Jalin Marshall didn't help their causes. Washington hurt his hamstring on his second 40-yard dash attempt, so he didn't get to do any other drills for scouts. And Marshall, after running a disappointing 4.6 40 at the combine, actually was worse Friday, clocking in around the mid-4.6s. He's really good with the ball in his hands, but he's a raw route runner as a slot guy and has just marginal hands. He should've stayed another year in school.
:salute:

KRiLL (+)

Yo! Ho! Ho!
Daps
Reppin
Straw Hat Pirates
9ONjW4R.png

"I haven't hear from Ohio State since my freshman year, they came to my school," Wilson, 6-foot-4 and 315-pounds told 11W. "I told them I wanted to go there, that it was my favorite school. I would have committed that day if they would have offered me."