Barbershop 3: The Next Cut (Official Thread)

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Just got from seeing it. As usual, minor spoilers. If I could sum it up, half of this movie is comedy. And half is preachy. Comedy wise, they use the same formula of making non-pc jokes about Black stars. There was one joke that i"m sure we'll be controversial though it wasn't bad, imo
Maya Angelo joke. I'm sure it'll be accused of kooning
Cedric was very funny if you like his old man character.

Didn't see Chiraq but from what I read, it felt like a version of that. In the sense of addressing the issues of Chicago and a possible solutions. There are some long periods of the preachy stuff (not to the level of Christian movies if you ever seen one. But none the less preachy). Now, of course, it's the barbershop so you expect debate and they debate alot issues about racism and politics.

Plot wise, though. It's pretty predictable. Some tragedy, then a lot fantasy stuff where everything works out.

Some of the characters. They got a mad suspect barber who does alot feminine stuff. He's ok but get annoying at times. They got an Indian dude who's conservative politically (sorta like D'Sousa. If you don't know who that is, don't worry about it). Regina Hall was disappointing. From her hair to her character in general. They didn't use her comedic gifts and character was too mature.

Nicki- Without spoiling it, let's just say she's plays a stereotypical role. If you're a fan, obviously the eye candy is there. Common. Never been a fan of his acting but he's ok. He did show a little acting when he got mad at times. Eve plays his wife. If you like Eve acting, she held her own. The main thing I didn't like about Common character though
He was too naive. If you got Nicki openly flirting in front of you and married, you don't even mess with it. That's just too dumb. Nicki wasn't trying to keep on the DL, so no way would I even attempt to even talk with her. Openly disrespecting Eve. Though I liked how he put her in check when she (Eve) called him a itch.
Lastly, Tyga. Imma go against the grain and say this pedofile is a good actor. Though I don't believe he could hurt a flea in real life.

Now, with the positve message side, it def. showed some strong Black fathers taking care of thier boys. But even though there were strong fathers, it didn't prevent some major problems. Also addressed the issue of "Black flight", which I thought was good. Though in real life, all those niguhs did Black flight. I'll give this movie a B+. It could have been a classic with the comedy. But the overlypreachy dialogue and the fantasy happy stuff with the plot, I can't give it higher then that.

Last edited:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
P.S. Deon Cole character was funny. I've seen his standup (can't remember where though) but he's good at his dry humor. Anthony Anderson character is minor but he's good as well.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just got from seeing it. As usual, minor spoilers. If I could sum it up, half of this movie is comedy. And half is preachy. Comedy wise, they use the same formula of making non-pc jokes about Black stars. There was one joke that i"m sure we'll be controversial though it wasn't bad, imo
Maya Angelo joke. I'm sure it'll be accused of kooning
Cedric was very funny if you like his old man character.

Didn't see Chiraq but from what I read, it felt like a version of that. In the sense of addressing the issues of Chicago and a possible solutions. There are some long periods of the preachy stuff (not to the level of Christian movies if you ever seen one. But none the less preachy). Now, of course, it's the barbershop so you expect debate and they debate alot issues about racism and politics.

Plot wise, though. It's pretty predictable. Some tragedy, then a lot fantasy stuff where everything works out.

Some of the characters. They got a mad suspect barber who does alot feminine stuff. He's ok but get annoying at times. They got an Indian dude who's conservative politically (sorta like D'Sousa. If you don't know who that is, don't worry about it). Regina Hall was disappointing. From her hair to her character in general. They didn't use her comedic gifts and character was too mature.

Nicki- Without spoiling it, let's just say she's plays a stereotypical role. If you're a fan, obviously the eye candy is there. Common. Never been a fan of his acting but he's ok. He did show a little acting when he got mad at times. Eve plays his wife. If you like Eve acting, she held her own. The main thing I didn't like about Common character though
He was too naive. If you got Nicki openly flirting in front of you and married, you don't even mess with it. That's just too dumb. Nicki wasn't trying to keep on the DL, so no way would I even attempt to even talk with her. Openly disrespecting Eve. Though I liked how he put her in check when she (Eve) called him a itch.
Lastly, Tyga. Imma go against the grain and say this pedofile is a good actor. Though I don't believe he could hurt a flea in real life.

Now, with the positve message side, it def. showed some strong Black fathers taking care of thier boys. But even though there were strong fathers, it didn't prevent some major problems. Also addressed the issue of "Black flight", which I thought was good. Though in real life, all those niguhs did Black flight. I'll give this movie a B+. It could have been a classic with the comedy. But the overlypreachy dialogue and the fantasy happy stuff with the plot, I can't give it higher then that.

Tyga and ASAP Rocky were solid in DOPE, even though the movie was trash to me.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Seen it last night when Tyga came on the screen everybody in the audience smacked they lips was like "this nikka" :beli:

Nicki looked good as fukk that body can't be real
No homo I want to get in shape like common

Movie was pretty funny 7.5/10

The whole gang situation had a lot of plot holes they just left old boy standing there when cube pulled up

I kept waiting for his son to get shot like hardball

Felt good supporting black cinema
Main reason I went tho took this chick didn't get to smash tho :sadcam:

But I think I gotta chance in the future :shaq:

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Where was Michael Ealy?I like how they brought back all the characters in different roles (white barber as a customer,the other dude as a politician).That Feminine barber cat was annoying at times.Nicki surprised me she did a good job playing hoodrat hairstylist

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i thought it was a good movie. great job cube and them.

deon cole owned every scene he was in

cjlaw93

(Black) American
Daps
I see EXACTLY why this movie is getting good reviews (from white publications) :sas2:same reasons as DOPE.

And WTF is up with the way they portrayed VLs and GDs :snoop:Chicago ain't LA :martin:

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Seen it last night when Tyga came on the screen everybody in the audience smacked they lips was like "this nikka" :beli:

Nicki looked good as fukk that body can't be real
No homo I want to get in shape like common

Movie was pretty funny 7.5/10

The whole gang situation had a lot of plot holes they just left old boy standing there when cube pulled up

I kept waiting for his son to get shot like hardball

Felt good supporting black cinema
Main reason I went tho took this chick didn't get to smash tho :sadcam:

But I think I gotta chance in the future :shaq:
its not :ld:

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I really wanted to like this movie more than I did. Too many odd subplots, unnecessarily goofy characters and a main story that's simultaneously on the nose and woefully under-explored.