Baltimore man Freddie Gray dies after getiing neck broken while in police custody

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
I'm still trying to understand why people think things will be "different" in this case because "Black people run Baltimore".
Here in philly the mayor is black and so is the police commissioner. But the state legislature is white. That's where the rules are made. I'm almost positive it's the same in Annapolis.

Labadi_Mantse

All Star
Daps
Politics first and foremost. The police commissioner and fire chief are black. Powerful lawyers all over the place. Business owners. Don't be fooled by what you see and think its one big ghetto. Theres old black money here. During slavery we had the biggest free black population in the country and this was a slave state.

Not disagreeing by any measure, not going to tell you about your stomping ground, but isn't the state legislation still predominantly white though? That's where the laws are made...

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I'm still trying to understand why people think things will be "different" in this case because "Black people run Baltimore".

We're being hopeful more than anything else. Once again this isn't Ferguson or NY tho we have a voice here and its not a small one. If things aren't different in this case than the results will be much worse. Maybe even worse then the LA riots becuz we are all over the city. I wouldn't be shocked if every last one of these officers get off becuz history always repeats itself. I also don't wanna see what could happen to my hometown if they get off so im trying to stay positive

Because they don't know their history and they don't think rationally. Black politicians have been at the head of most major cities in America and the black socioeconomic conditions are actually worsening. What people fail to understand that inequality is deeper than simply local control...the cracks in the system run much deeper to the foundation, something even black politicians at the local level cannot reach.

I kno my history breh. Don't make that assumption. I also kno my local history. Yea we might be passionate about this but this is OUR city. I was pissed over Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, etc. But its a different level of passion when its your home. Our influence in this state is much more than local. If there aren't some consequences from the actions of these officers the ramifications will be much worse than what weve seen from similar incidents recently. The politicians kno that. Coming from a state like this our perspectives might be a little different. Unless you've lived here you don't really kno the pulse of this area.

Not disagreeing by any measure, not going to tell you about your stomping ground, but isn't the state legislation still predominantly white though? That's where the laws are made...

I don't think theres a state in this country where black people have a bigger influence in state legislation than MD. The most densely populated part of the state is between here and DC and its heavily black. Yes the legislation is mostly white but we have a huge presence unlike most states.

Labadi_Mantse

All Star
Daps
We're being hopeful more than anything else. Once again this isn't Ferguson or NY tho we have a voice here and its not a small one. If things aren't different in this case than the results will be much worse. Maybe even worse then the LA riots becuz we are all over the city. I wouldn't be shocked if every last one of these officers get off becuz history always repeats itself. I also don't wanna see what could happen to my hometown if they get off so im trying to stay positive

I kno my history breh. Don't make that assumption. I also kno my local history. Yea we might be passionate about this but this is OUR city. I was pissed over Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, etc. But its a different level of passion when its your home. Our influence in this state is much more than local. If there aren't some consequences from the actions of these officers the ramifications will be much worse than what weve seen from similar incidents recently. The politicians kno that. Coming from a state like this our perspectives might be a little different. Unless you've lived here you don't really kno the pulse of this area.

I don't think theres a state in this country where black people have a bigger influence in state legislation than MD. The most densely populated part of the state is between here and DC and its heavily black. Yes the legislation is mostly white but we have a huge presence unlike most states.

As I wrote in my initial post, I will not purport to be an expert on your area, that's out of respect, but I need more than your conjecture to solidify this sentiment that having a presence matters that much.. failing majority black schools say otherwise. Also an inability by said legislation to reform foreclosure practices has resulted in devastating losses in wealth by the very black constituency whom are among the protesters. Furthermore with such a large presence as you've continually stated, why has police reform not been on the docket considering it disproportionately affects the very communities these legislators hail from? I will concede that Maryland does a better job than most states, killing the heroin overdose homicide bill is an excellent example, but some of the preceding facts lead me to believe that history, unfortunately, will repeat itself.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
As I wrote in my initial post, I will not purport to be an expert on your area, that's out of respect, but I need more than your conjecture to solidify this sentiment that having a presence matters that much.. failing majority black schools say otherwise. Also an inability by said legislation to reform foreclosure practices has resulted in devastating losses in wealth by the very black constituency whom are among the protesters. Furthermore with such a large presence as you've continually stated, why has police reform not been on the docket considering it disproportionately affects the very communities these legislators hail from? I will concede that Maryland does a better job than most states, killing the hearing overdose homicide bill is an excellent example, but some of the preceding facts lead me to believe that history, unfortunately, will repeat itself.

And people should operate under the assumption that history will repeat itself as it's literally insane to think otherwise, we need to be firmly seated in reality assessing our situation, and I firmly believe that expecting white officers to go down because "Black people are in power" is literally insane.

Newsflash, the police are not as concerned as you might think with rioting or civil disobedience, they are literally waiting for the day they have an actual reason to use the new military equipment they've been blessed with.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
but if you got his legs and hands cuffed and he's not resisting, I don't get it. Did they beat his ass before they cuffed him?

They use running as an excuse i guess they get frustrated and don't want to be bothered doing anything physical.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
just some posts back yall was guaranteeing shyt talkin bout yall run the city. that reality check gonna hit real bad though when yall realize these dukes aint nothin but figureheads.

i will be the first to :salute: yall if justice is finally given starting in baltimore. but history says nah.