Babylon pulls 3.5$ million over the weekend off a 80$+ million budget

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Honestly I didn't hear about this movie until two weeks ago, and already is nominated for Academy Awards. I remember the Shape of Water getting buzz and made cash, I remember Parasite getting a ton of buzz and it made bank. This year The Whale is getting all the hype, and I am sure people will want to see it.

This shyt came out of left field, and while it had Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie, it's a harsh reminder in a MCU-dominated world, that Big Name stars just aren't enough anymore unless your Tom Cruise, and even then Tom is busting his ass to promote his film.

How did it expect to make cash during a time when AVATAR 2 was coming out?

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
They moved the release date up from mid January (MLK weekend). Big mistake but probably would've been underwhelming then as well. Now it has to hit streaming soon before it reaches irrelevancy. Just bad timing all around. Once Amsterdam bombed they should have indefinitely delayed this movie. But like others have said, this is Oscar bait and has really that main purpose.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
it was never gonna do gangbusters

the 3 hour length might turn people off...and the trailer doesn't really capture the film

half the trailer are actually scenes from the prologue...and that shyt is like 30mins...before we ever get a title saying what the film is

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
If this, Avatar 2, and a couple of other fick's numbers don't pan out.. The movie industry will be on life support without a doubt and companies like Netflix might get even bigger in the near fu
well Avatar 2 is already at $850m so that's not a problem. Maybe Babylon is just ass??

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
well Avatar 2 is already at $850m so that's not a problem. Maybe Babylon is just ass??

It is. Another ode to Hollywood, La La Land took only $30 Million to make but made $470 Million based on Awards Nominations.

Most people go to the Cinema on Fri-Sun for the big name movies, with the Weekdays offering discounted tickets. So even if they watched AVATAR 2, they weren't shelling out cheaper tickets to watch this shyt.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
It's worth watching?
It’s one of my favorites this year. Try to give it a watch when it hits streaming if you want, but I didn’t feel like my time was wasted upon the credit roll.

Really not a shocker to see it performing like it is though. I can see a lot of the audience being fatigued after Amsterdam. Both of these films whose trailers flashed star-studded casts, but not much substance. That movie deserved to lose money. This one…not so much. The budget is showcased right away in the production design that I’m positive will earn an Oscar nom. It felt like the actors each had a place in the film and weren’t there just to be there.

Babylon is a movie that I could actually see aging well down the road and reevaluated in a better light.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Hollywood producers can trim the budget by not hiring tons of Alist actors and instead focus on cheap talent that are good and give them a chance to star in oscar bait movies to have a manageable budget.. but they dont do that. :francis:
This film has A-listers for days but Diego Calva is basically the main star of the joint in a breakout role.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
This film has A-listers for days but Diego Calva is basically the main star of the joint in a breakout role.

1 guy who's no one here besides you has heard of... :mjlol: i explained the movie needed a mix of different type of actors for an ensemble cast.. not like 90% A listers...