Aye, this Bob Backlund promo has me dying, brehs.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
backlund was one of the greatest heels of the last 30 years

goofy haircut
uses dictionary words obnoxiously
made kids recite the order of the presidents - ive personally seen him do this
crazy phrases and mannerisms
a vicious submission that hurt many a kid in the 90s

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

goofy haircut

Nothing like slapping a nikka in a chicken wing.

b. woods

Peace
Daps
:mjlol: I wish I could find a clip of that "I ain't playin" look on his face from 1995 when he was on "King's Court" and Lawler jokingly said that he would be exempt from being forced to say "I Quit" while being locked in the Crossface Chicken Wing and Backlund reminded him that NO ONE is exempt. :ufdup:

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't really appreciate it when I was young, but what a great character Mr. Backlund was (as much as it really WAS a character, as opposed to Backlund just being himself on camera).

It's less of a character than you think. Backlund is legit looney toons and its known in the industry.

He gets super into character, to where it's just a mirror who he is (catch 22 I guess?)

I was backstage at Summerslam 1995 he refused to sign an autograph for me as a kid because I couldnt recite the presidents from memory, in order.

EVERY other wrestler I've ever met broke character besides him. And apparently thats just the way he was.

He's not all there

Huda2daf

Superstar
Daps
It's less of a character than you think. Backlund is legit looney toons and its known in the industry.

He gets super into character, to where it's just a mirror who he is (catch 22 I guess?)

I was backstage at Summerslam 1995 he refused to sign an autograph for me as a kid because I couldnt recite the presidents from memory, in order.

EVERY other wrestler I've ever met broke character besides him. And apparently thats just the way he was.

He's not all there

As a kid I wouldn't have wanted his damn autograph anyways he was a heel :patrice:

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
My favorite Backlund moment was on the live 'LiveWire' when Backlund came out and started screaming about 'copulating with wild women...'
and the director quickly cut to a WWF promo. :mjlol:

giphy.gif

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches

He's not all there

That's what I meant. It seems as if he legit cracked a bit between 1984 and 1994 and the WWF decided that it was such a great heel character that they put him on screen and told Bob to "be himself." Wildly entertaining to watch from afar, but I'm not sure if I'd want to actually be around him for more than a couple minutes.

b. woods

Peace
Daps

goofy haircut

"Plebeians" :russ:

"Disciplint" :mjlol:

Remember when he snapped and locked Jim Ross in the Crossface Chicken Wing for not addressing him as MR. Backlund? :ufdup: