Atlanta: The Final Season | Official Thread | FX & Hulu

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
This is my one nitpick from the show. OJ feels like such an outdated reference to be using in 2022. Thought Van should’ve said R Kelly. An OJ joke felt like an out of touch Tyler Perry joke…but maybe that was the point. :ld:

If it's a joke that Tyler Perry would make, it makes sense, given OJ's age. OJ was granted early release from his parole last year. I remember that being a story about how he was a "completely free man." That brought him back into the public eye, so referencing him is not outdated in that sense.

Daps
If it's a joke that Tyler Perry would make, it makes sense, given OJ's age. OJ was granted early release from his parole last year. I remember that being a story about how he was a "completely free man." That brought him back into the public eye, so referencing him is not outdated in that sense.

It’s not about OJ being irrelevant, it’s that supporting OJ isn’t something that Black people would use to question someone who says they’re pro-Black today. OJ isn’t nearly the polarizing figure today that he was 3 decades ago. Sounds like a joke that someone locked away in an ivory tower that can’t really relate to the subjects of his art would write, a la Tyler Perry, so I see using it if that was the point. Just not sure that it was.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I’m in the minority, I guess, In that I thoroughly enjoyed season 3. I’m also enjoying this season, but Work Ethic is the best episode of Atlanta I’ve seen in a long time :wow:

Lmao @ them adding Lottie to 20 scenes and them saying she’d be done by lunch. :dead:

This is my one nitpick from the show. OJ feels like such an outdated reference to be using in 2022. Thought Van should’ve said R Kelly. An OJ joke felt like an out of touch Tyler Perry joke…but maybe that was the point. :ld:

1). I absolutely love season 3. You’re not alone in that.

2). R.Kelly wouldn’t have been an appropriate reference as R.Kelly is absolutely a pedophile and has been finally found guilty, whereas OJ was found not guilty and there’s still reasonable doubt surrounding the case. Also R.Kelly’s “blackness” was never in question whereas OJ distanced himself from the community

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
2) R.Kelly’s “blackness” was never in question whereas OJ distanced himself from the community

fb3376b6-968d-42da-8402-748287b665e2_text.gif

Daps
1). I absolutely love season 3. You’re not alone in that.

2). R.Kelly wouldn’t have been an appropriate reference as R.Kelly is absolutely a pedophile and has been finally found guilty, whereas OJ was found not guilty and there’s still reasonable doubt surrounding the case. Also R.Kelly’s “blackness” was never in question whereas OJ distanced himself from the community
Yea, R Kelly was the first name that came to mind, but I see why it doesn’t work from the blackness view (I didn’t even take it as asking about OJ in the sense of blackness being in question, just about asking about asking about a questionable Black figure, but I can see that angle now).

Regardless, I still think OJ was an out of place reference for current times. When was the last time a Black person asked if you supported OJ? Hell, Ye would’ve been a better joke, or one of the many less influential c00ns if they were worried about burning bridges.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yea, R Kelly was the first name that came to mind, but I see why it doesn’t work from the blackness view (I didn’t even take it as asking about OJ in the sense of blackness being in question, just about asking about asking about a questionable Black figure, but I can see that angle now).

Regardless, I still think OJ was an out of place reference for current times. When was the last time a Black person asked if you supported OJ? Hell, Ye would’ve been a better joke, or one of the many less influential c00ns if they were worried about burning bridges.

Kanye would have been a better joke but you also gotta remember that these scripts were written pre-pandemic

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
:pachaha: @ the name Mr. Chocolate in the first place

:russ: @ when Mr. Chocolate flipped it on Van at the end with her storyline of the day - struggling mom, has a "hip girlfriend", light-skinned ex-con love interest, dark-skinned baby daddy, etc.

damn, is this what it's really like down at Tyler Perry Studios when filming the stuff he makes and produces? :heh:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This is one 100% skewering Tyler Perry but that doesn’t mean the R.Kelly angle isn’t a significant undercurrent when it comes to the manipulation and exploitation of children.

But instead of pedophilia it was TALENT that Kirkwood Chocolate wanted to exploit from Lottie. Lottie had natural stage presence, which is extremely rare for most child actors, its why many of the best are used and then discarded as they grow older; because rarely does childhood charm translate into adult success. Notice how chocolate’s offer was “six seasons of a kids show. She’ll be financially secure UNTIL she turns 20”. If Lottie is roughly 7 years old at this point, then she’d be 13 when the series ended. Putting her into the “Teen Nick/Disney” category. At that point Chocolate could reexamine her career and potential and either move her into the teen star ranks or drop her and be able to say he gave her a start. He’s running a machine. One that sacrifices art for cold, brutal efficiency and maximizes EVERYTHING thats good about a performer for low brow, low tier product.

The commentary regarding this episode of satire is that exploitation takes many faces, not just the ones we recognize outright (like sex scandals). Actors, writers, and directors are oftentimes so desperate for an opportunity that they’ll allow themselves to be worked into the ground for something thats ultimately not worth their talent. Everyone was so happy to be contributing to black art that they never actually stood back and EXAMINED the art they were making. The young woman on set was directing TWO pilot episodes and Starring in a third, all on the SAME day! Thats ludicrous. But she put her heart and soul into it because she was desperate not to “waste” her chance. Chocolate didn’t have to be utilizing his power over in a forced sexual way to be exploiting her. He simply had to dangle the carrot that was “being put on” and watch the horses gallop off to the races.

This was a really deep episode. One of my favorites

You always got the best review of these shyts. :salute:

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Him and Jamal (other ATL writer) were always together. They were funny as hell and usually high. Both of them are crazy smart (as you have to be to get into Georgia Tech). Stephen was (prolly still is) a huge Nas fan. We caught a concert at the Tabernacle with a few other dudes. This was back in the jersey era, haha.

I don’t think he ended up finishing because I don’t remember him after sophomore year.

Stephen went to Tech? :ohhh:

Fellow Yellowjacket :leon: (even tho he didn't finish).

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
was hopin Ern's pops would slap the shyt outta that kid in the mall :francis:
I'm super late with this, but there was likely a time when he would have clapped back on the youngin, but Pops had no fight left in him.

Dealing with the drama and dysfunction of his in-laws, and his windbag of a wife......it "wore his sharp knife down to the nub"

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The ironic thing is that I heard TP's newest movie which I think is called "The Jazzman's Wife" is actually pretty good and the best movie he's ever done

I thought it was solid but

- the lawyer/politician dude supposedly being 3/4 black.... :comeon: . Your mom Leanne is half white and able to pass as white and your daddy Bayou is black as hell, but you come out looking more white than your mom even as an adult???? I told my wife that I think that he was the son of Leanne and her white husband because both Leanne and him woulda been killed for being black and trying to get over on affluent white folks. shyt wasn't believable at all with the dude being Bayou son's allegedly.
- Bayou going back to do that concert at his mom's juke joint was some of the dumbest decision making ever
- matter of fact Bayou and Bucket/Leanne are 2 stupid ass characters

Other than that, esp bullet point one, I liked it.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
In all seriousness, that's impressive. Always admired prolific writers. :salute:
Yeah, TP doing that R Kelly style of writing, producing, and directing is nuts. But that's his baby and how he built his empire and he has his fanbase :yeshrug:

Shooting whole seasons of shows in 3 weeks and shyt. Movies in a week. That's insane.

But on the flipside, he gives jobs and is a heavy philanthroper to our people.

He's not immune from criticism and jokes, but I respect him for what he's done.