At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:

That depends on how integrated and strong those communities are. And how much do they actually interact with each other relative to the rest of the population.

In the NYC/NJ area where I am, Africans mess primarily with each other, more concentrated in two areas of the city(primarily Harlem and The Bronx) and have the largest African community in the country despite being outnumbered by AAs. I'm guessing where you are the community is much smaller and less integrated.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Having children with Authentic AA's is the only way to validate that claim

Lol nikka for you but not for others around the country. Being black in america automatically puts you in that category even if you don't want to be.

AA'S don't have the scoop on who's what and can lay claim to what. White people and the government do.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Your kids will prolly just assimilate into black American culture since the Mom is black american.

Not always the case. My best friend growing up is half Nigerian half AA and speaks better Igbo than many full blooded Nigerians I know raised in Lagos, though of course he is still more Americanized since being raised here of course. And he regularly visits his African side every year.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it depends on the specific person and how they were raised. Many Africans only really started migrating in significant numbers in the 70s and the waves of immigration depended on people who either fled wars or migrated for educational purposes. From what i have seen many children of West Africans identify and assimilate at different rates compared to people from the Horn for instance.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
It's happening in cities like Houston. Guys like Brian Orakpo, Lil O, etc, just sound like Southern Texas Black folks even thought they're Nigerian. Their kids and kids kids will sound the same.

Same phenomenon happened to Bahamian migrants to Miami in the 1920's and their great grandchildren.

Samething is currently happening to Haitians in South Florida. They just sound like Miami Black folks, rather than Haitians.