As older black men 25plus, should we be mentoring the youth

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
are gen need to be the generation to correct this shyt, those docile baby boomers dropped the ball

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
I used to volunteer as a Big Brother. Swear when I walked in to sign up they were treating me like Royalty. Chick told me the reason was most of the kids in their program were black boys looking to be matched up with black men mentors but black men rarely walk through that door. :mjcry:

nikkas won't even mentor their own kids these days, let alone someone else's. :wow:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I see completely where you're coming from, and its true, there will be those you invest much time in and things don't work out turn out how you would like. BUT, the same can be said about your own children. Is it a waste of time then? I would say no, so I'll say it's never a waste of time... You're helping expand the minds of the future, fellow beings of the universe who share your own struggle.

Now I'm not saying go completely selfless with this, but you know... Someone has to care about us, because other races don't seem to.

I feel you breh, but..

All, I'm saying is that cats shouldn't expect miracles and to not get carried away (letting it consume you) because the outcome just like anything in life is uncertain. Being positive, leading by example, and dropping gems/guidance when needed is probably something everybody should already be doing before they even think about being a mentor. We won't know what's a waste of time until the end result, but that's really on some hindsight shyt at the end of the day.

I don't have kids, and don't plan on having any either tho so.. :manny:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Personally, I think every black man should have at least 1 black boy that he mentors. If you're a black man, you're the leader of your community (whether you accept that responsibility or not).

So if you not mentoring cats in your hood, then you're partially to blame for what happens there (IMO of course).

Ehhh, with mentoring you really have to become an active role in these young men's lives and with all the distractions and fukkery going on nowadays, it's an uphill battle that might end up as an epic waste of time at the end of the day.

From my personal experience, it's best to just drop some gems every now and then while not coming off as some high and mighty know it all, lead by example, and just hope for the best.

How many mentors have you had?

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Personally, I think every black man should have at least 1 black boy that he mentors. If you're a black man, you're the leader of your community (whether you accept that responsibility or not).

So if you not mentoring cats in your hood, then you're partially to blame for what happens there (IMO of course).

How many mentors have you had?

None. :mjcry:

I was raised by a single parent (father) in my teens and he always imparted wisdom to a nikka and made sure I kept my shyt right. :obama: but....

that's basically what a parent is supposed to do anyway in my book so I wouldn't count that as a mentor though.

There was a lot of shyt that nikka couldn't guide me on and he knows it, but such is life. :manny:

and for the record, I'm not shytting on mentoring. My main point was that it's not as easy as it seems and that it can be a thankless task so nikkas shouldn't get discouraged if some cats don't turn out to be anything.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
None. :mjcry:

and for the record, I'm not shytting on mentoring. My main point was that it's not as easy as it seems and that it can be a thankless task so nikkas shouldn't get discouraged if some cats don't turn out to be anything.

How do you know mentoring is thankless if you haven't mentored anyone :what:

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
My bad, I meant how many kids have you mentored :skip:

2, but I wouldn't say they were kids though. They were nikkas that were 4 and 5 years younger than me. I was kinda like a big brother to them dudes always trying to guide them and shyt, helping with school projects, bytches, life , jobs, etc....

In the end, other influences became stronger than me as they got a lil older and they all ended up taking massive L's in life over stupid shyt. Sometimes fate is crazy like that. I wouldn't say I wasted my time, but others in my position would prolly say that I did..:manny:.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
2, but I wouldn't say they were kids though. They were nikkas that were 4 and 5 years younger than me. I was kinda like a big brother to them dudes always trying to guide them and shyt, helping with school projects, bytches, life , jobs, etc....

In the end, other influences became stronger than me as they got a lil older and they all ended up taking massive L's in life over stupid shyt. Sometimes fate is crazy like that. I wouldn't say I wasted my time, but others in my position would prolly say that I did..:manny:.

Is it possible you weren't a good mentor :patrice:

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Is it possible you weren't a good mentor :patrice:

True, but that can be the case for anybody that's mentoring. Ain't like nobody else was giving a fukk about them. :mjlol:

shyt, I can say they had lazy ass parents (which they did), but :manny:

Nothing else left to say about that shyt really.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
True, but that can be the case for anybody that's mentoring. Ain't like nobody else was giving a fukk about them. :mjlol:

shyt, I can say they had lazy ass parents (which they did), but :manny:

Nothing else left to say about that shyt really.

So you're OK with the kids you mentored not turning out well :dahell:

I'd be devastated if the kid I'm mentoring ended up fukked up :mjcry: