as classic as Nas - Stillmatic Freestyle is when i first heard it my thoughts was...

notorious8562

Sine Metu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've never liked Ether, but I fukk with this.

Ether had the impact that it did because of how Jay-Z reacted to it. I'd much rather listen to Stillmatic Freestyle.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Man I actually remember being on :hamster: the night this was played on NY radio and trying to find a relaplayer streaming link from Sum-ish-I wrote.com to hear it (Dave Ellis' old site RIP). Think it was late late July, first week of August of 2001

Everyone that night there was like :blessed: he's finally back

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Takeover diss was a response record to the Stillmatic Freestyle.

Ether was an all out diss record, not a response record that's why it was so potent.

This song was necessary, if people remember the vibe and the feeling in the air in the 2001. This was before the tower came down.

I felt Nas helped us adjust to the millennium with Nastradumus, Stillmatic, and God's Son. There was so much uncertainty, but Nas helped us make sense of everything.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What the fukk? At that point all Camel had said was "ask Nas he don't want it with Hov..." Nas said bring that shyt fukk nikka.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
"You wanna ball til you fall, I can help you with that. You want beef, I can let a slug melt in ya hat."

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
just off the strength of what Jay did to Prodigy at summer jam... im thinkin Nas is gonna get it bad.... and im one of them dudes that always thought Nas was a better mc than Hov... Just thought Nas wasnt built for battling

"fa shizzle my nizzle the rapping version of Sisqo"

come on now... that line is weak
:usure:

you cant knock out the champ swinging like that... and Jay was the champ until Ether dropped
The line was playin off of Jay's line tho...so how could u criticize it? ..

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
i was blown away that he actually captured his old flow. i was legit surprised. his shyt had gotten so janky and out of pocket in the years prior that i thought he was beyond recovery. rhyming over a beat he likely had been rhyming over since 1986 probably helped big time.