As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
There are two dominate musical traditions in the world and Jamaica is not one of them...

The US and Cuba...

Cubas impact was huge but by the 1960's, Jamaica and Nuyoricans (they mainly based their sounds off of Cuban music) took the mantle from them as far as the Carib goes.

Curioser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not really.... It's just Cuban artists were blackballed ( and still are in the US). Puerto Ricans have been stealing music from Cuba all through the glory days of salsa because they know they could get away with it due to the political situation. Cuba never stopped giving music to yhe rest of the world.

For all intensive purposes Puerto Rican salsa is dead whereas Cuban groups live on and are huge in Europe, Japan and South American.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
quotes from he and his peers and articles too:troll:

He was trying imitate Disco DJ's but his style was crude. What he was trying to do didn't come from Jamaica, it came from Disco djs.

That doesn't change the fact that he was an intricate part in what sparked Hip Hop. Everyone is influenced by someone at one point or another. I don't think anyone assumes that Kool Herc just magically came up with everything.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Well...since Jamaica was under rule by the UK and had many influences on their overall culture and the way they live(they are still a part of the commonwealth)...that should eventually lead back to the UK being more influential...

LOL I'm just fukkin with y'all....gotta give props to the Jamaicans though, they have had a huge influence in Music.

But those putting the UK down are crazy, their influence was pretty strong as well.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
@Curioser props for explaining the difference between Puerto Rican salsa and Cuban.

its a huge difference too our shyt is more slowed down and rootsy where as puerto rican is faster but it hits less damn near every song sounds the same we slay the drums

even our hip hop is more gutter than rican shyt you dont see daddy yankee snappin for 9 minutes about killin nikkas and selling dope lmao

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Not really.... It's just Cuban artists were blackballed ( and still are in the US). Puerto Ricans have been stealing music from Cuba all through the glory days of salsa because they know they could get away with it due to the political situation. Cuba never stopped giving music to yhe rest of the world.

For all intensive purposes Puerto Rican salsa is dead whereas Cuban groups live on and are huge in Europe, Japan and South American.

The legacy of older Cuban music is still felt around the world for sure but they haven't really modernized the sound(s) to help spawn/influence newer genres. Puerto Ricans from New York basically hijacked the Cuban sound and modernized it to create Salsa.

gbmf6u4.png

9ol9O8a.png

Nu3JglE.png

(cuban)

(cuban w/ some new york puerto Rican)

(new york puerto rican)

(new york puerto rican)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
That's great....what does that have to do with DJing?

Exactly...illmatic delta did nothing to dispel the fact that BATTLING and TURNTABILISIM came from Jamaican pioneers in the 50s

In Jamaica its called CLASH..and soundsystems been clashing since the 50s

Like Duke Reid and Tom the Sebastian breaking out jumbo speakers out on opppsite side of the street to see WHO GOT THE LOUDEST SET and the MOST EXCLUSIVE TUNES

Coxsone Soundsystem use to search foe thr most obscure 45s ....

These were thr mobile soundsystems that FIRST MADE AN impression on west indian selectors like Herc..Bam and Flash...

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Exactly...illmatic delta did nothing to dispel the fact that BATTLING and TURNTABILISIM came from Jamaican pioneers in the 50s

Like Duke Reid and Tom the Sebastian breaking out jumbo speakers out on opppsite side of the street to see WHO GOT THE LOUDEST SET and the MOST EXCLUSIVE TUNES

Coxsone Soundsystem use to search foe thr most obscure 45s ....

These were thr mobile soundsystems that FIRST MADE AN impression on west indian selectors like Herc..Bam and Flash...

I don't want to argue because honestly, I am not an expert by any means on this subject. I do appreciate you both putting out links plus names. That's dope. I just don't see how it discredits Herc, what he did and how he helped spark a culture from his side. Of course he didn't do it himself, on some Moses coming down from a mountain by himself with the 10 Hip Hop commandments, but he certainly deserves the praise (and what little of it he actually gets in the grand scheme of all this)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

OMG man. He was talking about Djing and it's obvious that HipHop djing came from Disco.

The concept of battling (in hiphop that could be with words-music or dancing) or one upping someone was already in Jazz decades earlier

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx

Read below

To be sure, there were all kinds of mobile jocks in New York in the early 70′s. Hands down, no questions. I’ve always asked the Bronx cats that I’ve interviewed this one important question, “Yo, what impact did the Jamaican sound systems have on ya’ll?”

Everybody from Toney Tone to Kool Herc to Bambaataa said: “None, none at all. They weren’t a part of our thing. They did their own thing.”

The one time I interviewed Kool Herc I asked him about the Jamaican sound systems in the Bronx and he acknowledged knowing a few of them, but said that they had no influence or impact whatsoever.

http://hiphopandpolitics.com/2014/02/05/founding-fathers-documentary-hip-hop-start-bronx/

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
OMG man. He was talking about Djing and it's obvious that HipHop djing came from Disco.

The concept of battling (in hiphop that could be with words-music or dancing) or one upping someone was already in Jazz decades earlier

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx

Read below

http://hiphopandpolitics.com/2014/02/05/founding-fathers-documentary-hip-hop-start-bronx/

Dude. ...HIP HOP deejays WERE NOT drawing thier inspiration for battling from JAZZ

stop dat

THE BRONX IS FULL OF JAMAICANS that brought that culture of Clashing to NYC

:camby: im an OG who witnessed this shyt...hell eith ur misinformed wikileaks

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You will not find anything like this in the Jamaican Sound system operators because it relates more to Disco

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Dude. ...HIP HOP deejays WERE NOT drawing thier inspiration for battling from JAZZ

stop dat

THE BRONX IS FULL OF JAMAICANS that brought that culture of Clashing to NYC

The Jazz "battle of the bands" of who can play the best tunes are the precursor. It's easy to draw a straight line from the Dozens to Battle rapping or Lindy Hop battles to bboy battles.

:camby: im an OG who witnessed this shyt...hell eith ur misinformed wikileaks

You claim to have witnessed it yet your facts don't add up:lolbron: I deaded your whole post in this thread with FACTS!!

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/fact...as-pimps-down-south.62884/page-2#post-8953169

Get your facts right before posting. I mean you did say this:

bugs you fukking MORON..your title said FIRST RAPPERS...

one of the first rappers in the bx was the HERCULOIDS with COKE A LA ROC...who was a JAMAICAN .....

@ :36 sec

"Im not Jamaican...that's Kool Herc. My family is from North Carolina":patrice:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Jazz "battle of the bands" of who can play the best tunes are the precursor. It's easy to draw a straight line from the Dozens to Battle rapping or Lindy Hop battles to bboy battles.

You claim to have witnessed it yet your facts don't add up:lolbron: I deaded your whole post in this thread with FACTS!!

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/fact...as-pimps-down-south.62884/page-2#post-8953169

Get your facts right before posting. I mean you did say this:

@ :36 sec

"Im not Jamaican...that's Kool Herc. My family is from North Carolina":patrice:

:mjpls:. But anyway lets put aside logistics here. The dancehall stuff sounds way to similar to hip hop and its been around longer than hip hop. How do we explain that?