Arranged marriages?

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
I was warming up to this idea for a whole year, my bff told me about it and she said they tend to work more than most marriages. Then last weekend this chick turned around and told me that it wouldn't work for me, it can only work for Asian cultures. I'm not sure what she meant by that...

I think this is the best option for me because I'm not proactive when it comes to dating and if I had a choice I'd be forever alone but I think it's my duty and obligation to get married and eventually have children.

My parents would, of course, be the match makers. They have a good eye for good people and I'm not picky anyway.

But what are your thoughts (I'm asking the females of the coli) on the idea of an Arranged Marriage for a black person in this generation? Is it a dumb idea or a necessary one for those who don't know how to make decisions in dating?

I haven't talked to my mom about this yet, she seems eager for me to date but I don't think I'm the dating type. Then there's my dad who tends to talk about guns when we talk about the opposite sex. If I do decide to go through with it, I'm looking to have an arrangement by the age of 27.

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
I'm for it BUT you need 2 parent homes to choose good partners/orchestrate wealth-building and a society without lax or uneven divorce laws for it to work.

I'm sure my parents would do their best to make sure both parties are well established before we tie the knot.

My daughter is already set to marry my homeboy's son. They have no choice :jawalrus:

Is that the same thing or is that considered a forced marriage?

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
If your parents are choosing I say try it and see who they pull up.

Cant hurt to try.

My daughter is already set to marry my homeboy's son. They have no choice :jawalrus:
:dead:

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I'm ok with being by myself but in the long run I know I wouldn't feel right about that. Plus given the type of family I'm from it only makes sense I continue the legacy and give my parents more grandchildren.

I don't think you should start a family to appease other people. You the only grandchild?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was warming up to this idea for a whole year, my bff told me about it and she said they tend to work more than most marriages. Then last weekend this chick turned around and told me that it wouldn't work for me, it can only work for Asian cultures. I'm not sure what she meant by that...

I think this is the best option for me because I'm not proactive when it comes to dating and if I had a choice I'd be forever alone but I think it's my duty and obligation to get married and eventually have children.

My parents would, of course, be the match makers. They have a good eye for good people and I'm not picky anyway.

But what are your thoughts (I'm asking the females of the coli) on the idea of an Arranged Marriage for a black person in this generation? Is it a dumb idea or a necessary one for those who don't know how to make decisions in dating?

I haven't talked to my mom about this yet, she seems eager for me to date but I don't think I'm the dating type. Then there's my dad who tends to talk about guns when we talk about the opposite sex. If I do decide to go through with it, I'm looking to have an arrangement by the age of 27.

On the serious tip this is one of the more perplexing threads ive come across on the coli, and I don't mean this negatively at all but I couldn't IMAGINE an American black woman in this day and age submitting to an arranged Union. I know you said you only wanted a female opinion but I still believe that finding and choosing your own life partner is best. Even if you are anti-social I think you would ultimately feel more fulfilled with the man YOU fall in love with

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
I don't think you should start a family to appease other people. You the only grandchild?

No I have other siblings, my oldest brother is married so my parents have one grandchild so far.

We're very family oriented so their desires for me to be successful and get married is essentially mine as well, I just suck and can't function properly to do it on my own :yeshrug:

On the serious tip this is one of the more perplexing threads ive come across on the coli, and I don't mean this negatively at all but I couldn't IMAGINE an American black woman in this day and age submitting to an arranged Union. I know you said you only wanted a female opinion but I still believe that finding and choosing your own life partner is best. Even if you are anti-social I think you would ultimately feel more fulfilled with the man YOU fall in love with

I thought about that too but I have a bad habit of rejecting people, even the ones I like.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
No I have other siblings, my oldest brother is married so my parents have one grandchild so far.

We're very family oriented so their desires for me to be successful and get married is essentially mine as well, I just suck and can't function properly to do it on my own :yeshrug:

I can relate :ld:

Vice Queen

aka Joe Henny
Supporter
Daps
I've already said that if it were up to my mother, I'd be well in my 40s and 50s by the time I get married. My father isn't concerned with our personal lives like that.

Either way, they'd choose someone with some money.