Armored Core VI: Fires Of Rubicon -Action Game of The Year- 2023

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not sure if I've ever played any of these games before, as I'm not really into mech shyt. I'll still check this out upon release tho.
Amazing game series. How could you be a sony Stan and not know anything about Armored Core???:dahell:

AC2 was one of my first and still favorite PS2 games.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Amazing game series. How could you be a sony Stan and not know anything about Armored Core???:dahell:

AC2 was one of my first and still favorite PS2 games.
Didn't say I didn't know about them. Just don't remember if I've played any of them, as I can't remember which game I've played, whether it was this series or ZoE or something else even. I've played like maybe one or two mech games ever way back in the day. They weren't my steeze, so...

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Announced during last week's Game Awards, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is another fresh start for the series, this time setting its action on a remote planet called Rubicon 3 – a world where companies and organizations battle over a "mysterious new substance" that causes a planet-wide catastrophe. Miyazaki himself is largely taking a step back from this project (he jokes that he's excited to play as a fan), instead providing the concept to Dark Souls veteran Masaru Yamamura, who previously served as Sekiro's lead designer.

Like its predecessors, it will be a third-person action game with a heavy focus on customizing your mecha – from different weapons and leg types to generators that allow for greater boosts. It's more focused on single-player than its predecessor, which was a bold attempt at large-scale multiplayer, but don't expect a true open world like the one found in Elden Ring. Instead, Armored Core VI will retain the mission-based approach of its predecessors.

"The essential direction of [Armored Core VI] was to go back and take a good look at the core concept of Armored Core and what made that series special," Miyazaki explains. "So we wanted to take the assembly aspect, assembling and customizing your own mech — your AC — and then being able to exact a high level of control over the assembled mech. So we wanted to take those two core concepts and reexamine those in our modern environment."

"Boss battles are the highlight of the game in this title," Yamamura said in a separate statement. "The essence of the battles, in which the player reads the enemy's moves and then plays games with them, is of course provided, as is typical of FromSoftware. In this title, both the enemy and your own machine are aggressive and violent in their attacks. We are developing the game so that players can enjoy the dynamic and intense boss battles that only mechas can offer, along with the unique aspects of AC, such as how to assemble the right parts to take on the strongest enemies."

IGN: Is it fair to say that Armored Core VI will be closer to the Soulsborne games than the series has been in the past?

Hidetaka Miyazak
i: No, we've not been making a conscious effort to try to direct it towards more Soulsborne type gameplay. First of all, let me just make that clear.

The essential direction of [Armored Core VI] was to go back and take a good look at the core concept of Armored Core and what made that series special. So we wanted to take the assembly aspect, assembling and customizing your own mech — your AC — and then being able to exact a high level of control over the assembled mech. So we wanted to take those two core concepts and reexamine those in our modern environment.

And, of course, what that means is taking our know-how and experiences from game development in recent years, and applying that knowledge to the development of [Armored Core VI], and reexamining it together with those core concepts of Armored Core.

So the real impetus for this project, I think, or at least one of the real appeals for me comes from that aspect of assembly, and being able to really freely assemble and customize the mech, I think is what we really highly focus on in Armored Core. And having mechs or mecha as a theme, it's really about that high level of freedom that adjusting each individual part gives, and how that affects the gameplay and the properties of your mech actually in combat. We think it's a little bit more liberating than, say, just swapping out armor or equipment. There's actually a much higher degree of freedom here, and being able to see these effects both in game, and as part of the world building, and as part of your player choices, we feel like this is a very big part of what makes Armored Core special.

IGN: Yamamura san, you were the lead designer on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Can you talk a little bit about the lessons you learned from that project and how you're applying them to Armored Core?

Masaru Yamamura
: There are no elements directly referring to Sekiro, but I feel both titles share the same essence of battle such as aggressive, speed change and action-oriented fighting. For this title, by continuing to attack even the strongest enemy, the force of impact can break the enemy's posture and inflict a large amount of damage – a critical hit. This is the starting point for the slow and fast speed change of the battle, and when combined with long-range firefighting and close-range melee combat, the enemy and his machine engage each other violently, creating a more aggressive and dynamic battle that only mechas can engage in.

IGN: Miyazaki san, Elden Ring's increased accessibility – for example, friendlier checkpoints and friendly summons, was credited in part with improving its sales. What was your takeaway?

Hidetaka Miyazaki
: Yes, one of our objectives when creating Elden Ring and creating this new open field style was offering more freedom in approaching accounts and more player freedom in general. This was a major concept that we had in mind when approaching that game, and we hoped that this would open it up to more people and more players. We didn't want to lower the level of challenge or dumb it down, so instead we wanted to increase the level of freedom. We wanted to introduce more people to that style of game and wanted more people to enjoy that. So I don't know personally if it was successful or if it had a hand in that, but that's what we set out to do.

IGN: And how did you apply those lessons to Armored Core VI?

Hidetaka Miyazaki
: So we didn't necessarily take the same approach with game design and with that core concept when developing Armored Core VI. When we set out to reboot the Armored Core series, we focused on those two concepts that we touched on earlier, that being the assemble aspect and the piloting aspect. So I feel like it was a very different approach right from the offset, but I think perhaps Yamamura can answer that a little bit more clearly.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
whole interview is ign asking if ac6 will be similar to souls in any way:mjlol:

even in the comments on the ac6 trailer is a bunch of people who never played ac hoping that its mecha souls or some shyt :pachaha:

them souls kids in for a rude awakening:mjgrin:

Not for nothing one of the playtesters did say it played more like a souls games this time.