Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Yes. Decent salary - biglaw corporate. Data management/info. Tech. 10 yrs in approx.

But I have a lot of expenses so it’s almost like money in money out. Not too much debt - little stuff here and there. Didn’t start off with decent financial management skills when I began my career; learned investment and money management as I progressed. My ex said I was “bmf-ing” - blowing money fast. Still paying off 6 figure student loans. Biggest payments are house, car and child care/activities. Normal stuff.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Unless they are in a white shoe firm or doing big corporate law, probably not.

Or 5-10 yrs of experience in govt or public service. There’s a constant influx of lateral attorneys who come from govt to work in biglaw or biglaw attys that transfer over to govt.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So most lawyers don't make money like that? :ohhh:
Depends on the industry or experience level. Public defenders don’t make too much starting off, median maybe 60k, but that’s in major cities. Lowest could be 45k. Some court appointed get paid per case. Best salaries are usually in large size law firms, in house or general counsel for a Corporation or a tech company. Starting salary is at least $100k minimum - for first years, not including end of year bonuses - $25 k minimum

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
did you start in biglaw?

No. I started at the “bottom” so to speak and relocated to different cities to get to this point. Started off as a legal Intern with a city government agency, then worked for a county attorney’s office. Worked in house at a financial services firm in ny. from there opportunities lead to working at a mid size firm in dc, (didn’t like it) moved back to ny- got my first job offer for biglaw (Moved between dc and ny twice). Then after a few years, moved again to dc due to biglaw job offer when the tech boom started taking place. Then in dc biglaw I had my first experience in data/knowledge management and IT. Been here ever since.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
No. I started at the “bottom” so to speak and relocated to different cities to get to this point. Started off as a legal Intern with a city government agency, then worked for a county attorney’s office. Worked in house at a financial services firm in ny. from there opportunities lead to working at a mid size firm in dc, (didn’t like it) moved back to ny- got my first job offer for biglaw (Moved between dc and ny twice). Then after a few years, moved again to dc due to biglaw job offer when the tech boom started taking place. Then in dc biglaw I had my first experience in data/knowledge management and IT. Been here ever since.
Did you have a tech background before law school?

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Did you have a tech background before law school?
No. Not at all. Not specific to IT, but I had prior experience in corporate research, information security and records management from prior jobs that transferred to the job I have now. For IT, Everything that I learned, I learned on the job through training, cle, IT classes and required testing/certifications. Took courses as well through different programs on my own to maintain, as well.

But this was during the time that the finance/investment firms, banks were imploding (2010-) and stricter regulations were implemented against the banking industry (bear stearns collapse, Bank of America, AIG etc ,) Telecomm. mergers taking place (at&t, sprint, etc). Those industries could no longer afford legal fees/expenses leading to major law firm layoffs. The legal sector started turning to patent and i.p. Law with a focus on technology. The law firm took on more tech clients to remain competitive. So I think for me it was timing ; being at the right place at the right time as well.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Data/knowledge management is broad. Anyway you can get into specifics about situations in which you gained knowledged.

You can keep it high level.
We all just trying to learn

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Data/knowledge management is broad. Anyway you can get into specifics about situations in which you gained knowledged.

K. Got u. Bookmarking this for later. Logging off at the moment. Will give it more explanation tomm.. well, later on..

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

haven't forgot your question, been off and on this forum to get some actual work done. i'll respond with the details in a few.