Are there any Accounting Major's/CPA's in here.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
I live in a big enough city for Accounting to be a viable major but aint NOOOO body hiring me with this Associate Degree which is why continuing to become a CPA was a no brainer. it's going to be HARD for me cause my gpa is going to be ass compared to others when i graduate (2.5-2.8 very likely). i hate myself for the 3 years i fukked up.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, getting an accounting degree really isn't a joke, especially since even financial accounting itself is so packed full of information that it can take up 3 books. The introductory financial accounting book is about 500+ pages, but then the intermediate and advanced books are probably 800 to 1000 pages. Past that, you have tax accounting, which is a huge book in and of itself and tax accounting changes every year. Then you have cost accounting and governmental accounting, which is different. You have to learn auditing as well. If you're not serious about the subject, it really isn't one to get into lightly. There's a reason that they make the money they do. It's a very dull subject that requires a fairly high level of precision. If you make one or two mistakes, it can throw EVERYTHING off. Worst thing is having to prepare those financial statements and finding the trial balances don't match.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Honestly, depends on where you're at. Small cities wont' really have accounting jobs like that, and if they do, they will try to severely lowball you. With accounting, it's big city or bust, unless you are using a smaller business for experience... which WILL be necessary, since all of the bigger gigs will require some experience unless you were flat-out outstanding in school.

I live in northern nj about 20 minutes from manhattan

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I live in a big enough city for Accounting to be a viable major but aint NOOOO body hiring me with this Associate Degree which is why continuing to become a CPA was a no brainer. it's going to be HARD for me cause my gpa is going to be ass compared to others when i graduate (2.5-2.8 very likely). i hate myself for the 3 years i fukked up.

Luckily you are in a big city... but yeah, you are probably going to have to work a job in another field for a while and then slip into accounting. A lot of people say the accounting job market is where it's at, but not really. Most of the accounting jobs they have out there are for guys who already have experience and that's usually 5 years or so of experience. They don't really want to hire and train guys from the ground up like that... Trying to find accounting jobs in the small city is the worst. Bookkeeping starts at $9, and beginning accounting jobs are like $13 here. You do those 4 years and mechanics and HVAC can make more than you.

It's big city or bust, and you had better be one of the better students to get put on easily. Accounting can be said to be a robust job market, but that's if you already have the experience or you're cream of the crop in your class.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
yeah im an accountant. if anyone wants help with their taxes or other finances just shoot me a pm. be sure to include your tax info, social security #, and a credit card # so i can make sure you arent payin too much interest to these banks.

:rudy:

yeah ima give all my info to some random on the internet

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
Luckily you are in a big city... but yeah, you are probably going to have to work a job in another field for a while and then slip into accounting. A lot of people say the accounting job market is where it's at, but not really. Most of the accounting jobs they have out there are for guys who already have experience and that's usually 5 years or so of experience. They don't really want to hire and train guys from the ground up like that... Trying to find accounting jobs in the small city is the worst. Bookkeeping starts at $9, and beginning accounting jobs are like $13 here. You do those 4 years and mechanics and HVAC can make more than you.

It's big city or bust, and you had better be one of the better students to get put on easily. Accounting can be said to be a robust job market, but that's if you already have the experience or you're cream of the crop in your class.

I know. i know i knowwwwwwwwwwwwww. I have too much drive to fail breh. i aint trying to go the firm route anyway. Govt route player. i know a couple people. once i get in with the city/state/govt (and i will, coming from the best school in the area as far as Accounting goes) i aint leaving. until i decide to branch off :scheme:

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I know a few people who do accounting. They do get a good salary with bonus but when you factor in overtime and all the headache it may not be worth it.

Lil' Kartwheel

The Chicken Box Man
Daps
Reppin
The Bayou City
I'm finishing my BBA in Accounting in a month. Two more classes to go. Looking forward to doing my last 30 hours and getting my CPA license. I plan to move out of Houston and get a federal gig but the way the economy is going, I'll take anything auditing related.

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
Economic fears widen as bank run searches on Google accelerate - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com
The Federal government does not take kindly when the American people use two simple words in everyday conversation, particularly when these words can easily have an adverse effect on our economy and financial system. In fact, there are laws in place to discourage the public from using the term bank run, should the ramifications of their intent cause measurable liabilities.

However, this discouragement is not stopping people from around the world from seeking information on growing bank runs taking place in Greece, Spain, and potentially anywhere there are monetary depositories. On May 24th, Google Trends is reporting that the keyword search for these two words is accelerating to levels far beyond the time of the 2008 credit and banking crisis.

The volume of searches for the phrase 'Bank Run' has just hit an all-time high - higher now than even during the peak of the Lehman Brothers 'moment'. While English dominates the language choices, the Europeans (Dutch, Germans, and French) are extremely 'interested' as are the Chinese...but it appears the Singaporeans are running the most scared (as we noted here) is perhaps not surprising, followed by the Irish and the Americans - with Germany a disappointing 10th - perhaps they really do not care as much as everyone's bluff-calling hopes. It seems the fears of real 'bank runs' are becoming virtually 'viral' - not a good sign for the stability of the fictional-reserve-banking-dependent status quo.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
A lot of people just talk about high salaries but they never stress the realities of the jobs they do. You gotta know the both pros and cons.

yup, i expect 60 hr wrk weeks. sometimes more. i already know. but the work itself isnt boring to me at least the schoolwork isnt

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
Thing about accounting is it so many jobs you can do and all dont require the long hours.

The long hours usually go to those in Public Accounting since you pretty much providing service to another company.

Those cats doing government work get to eat off benefits and the CPA is useless really there just put in your time and go up the grade scale.

Then you got private...

Dope thing is....Accountants can take a Finance Majors job too but nobody can take a Accountants job. :leon:

Debits=Credits....lets eat.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Thing about accounting is it so many jobs you can do and all dont require the long hours.

The long hours usually go to those in Public Accounting since you pretty much providing service to another company.

Those cats doing government work get to eat off benefits and the CPA is useless really there just put in your time and go up the grade scale.

Then you got private...

Dope thing is....Accountants can take a Finance Majors job too but nobody can take a Accountants job. :leon:

Debits=Credits....lets eat.

:clap: church.