Are people still denying 2023 is not gonna be the GOAT year in gaming?

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
1998 had the following:

Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Half Life
Banjo Kazooie
Resident Evil 2
Starcraft
Fallout 2
Thief
Rainbow Six
Crash Bandicoot 3
Tomb Raider 3
Grim Fandango
Star Wars Rouge Squadron
Parasite Eve
Xenogears
Oddworld Abe’s Odyssey
Turok 2
Spyro the Dragon
Baldur’s Gate
F Zero X
Unreal
Gex Enter the Gecko
Sonic Adventure
Mario Party
Suikoden 2
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 3
Brave Fencer Musashi
Pokémon Yellow
Tenchu
Bomberman Hero
Radiant Silvergun
Marvel vs Capcom
House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Virtua Fighter 3
Medievil
X-men vs Street Fighter

All in one year.

dave-chappelle-adios.gif
yeah damn this is hard to top. :ohlawd:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
If we can't say this year is the goat year (I don't think OP meant of all time, I think he meant in terms of modern gaming, 2010s-2020, but I could be wrong), we can definitely say it's the most prolific year for quality gaming in some time.

It's interesting to see how remakes are driving the industry right now. Feels like the big gaming companies don't like to take risks with creating new IPs.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
If we can't say this year is the goat year (I don't think OP meant of all time, I think he meant in terms of modern gaming, 2010s-2020, but I could be wrong), we can definitely say it's the most prolific year for quality gaming in some time.

It's interesting to see how remakes are driving the industry right now. Feels like the big gaming companies don't like to take risks with creating new IPs.
I think maybe the gaming industry is taking some cues from the music industry, or at least there are some similarities. Like record companies remaster old albums with new tech to make them hi-res (24/192 instead of 16/44). Gaming is doing the same with some classics, using new techniques to make them next gen. I think it's cool.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
1998 had the following:

Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Half Life
Banjo Kazooie
Resident Evil 2
Starcraft
Fallout 2
Thief
Rainbow Six
Crash Bandicoot 3
Tomb Raider 3
Grim Fandango
Star Wars Rouge Squadron
Parasite Eve
Xenogears
Oddworld Abe’s Odyssey
Turok 2
Spyro the Dragon
Baldur’s Gate
F Zero X
Unreal
Gex Enter the Gecko
Sonic Adventure
Mario Party
Suikoden 2
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 3
Brave Fencer Musashi
Pokémon Yellow
Tenchu
Bomberman Hero
Radiant Silvergun
Marvel vs Capcom
House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Virtua Fighter 3
Medievil
X-men vs Street Fighter

All in one year.

dave-chappelle-adios.gif

Jordan's Last Dance
And-1 Mixtape Volume 1
Clinton / Lewinsky
DMX - It' Dark and Hell is Hot
Juvenile - 4000 Degreez
Denzel/Spike - He Got Game
Rush Hour
Truman Show
Cowboy Bebop
Power Puff Girls :troll:

1998 might be the GOAT year period. :picard:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I think maybe the gaming industry is taking some cues from the music industry, or at least there are some similarities. Like record companies remaster old albums with new tech to make them hi-res (24/192 instead of 16/44). Gaming is doing the same with some classics, using new techniques to make them next gen. I think it's cool.
I think it is too but it feels like there are less new IPs, but then again maybe that's just my perception. I actually think they're taking a cue from the movie industry with remakes.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I think it is too but it feels like there are less new IPs, but then again maybe that's just my perception. I actually think they're taking a cue from the movie industry with remakes.

Yeah, remakes and remasters are queues from the movie industry. TBH, I don't have much issue with either, provided they're done optimally to what current technology can do and/or meshes well with the original style of the game and/or further improves/enhances it. When done those correct ways, it's truly great thing and I don't see why folks bytch about it. It's like when they modernize the bible as well, so that it can capture the current times and new generation accordingly. And for fans of the OG version, if you're the type that replays classic games every now and then, I think it's great for those folks as well, cuz you can replay them with much improved modernizations, from better gfx and voice over work, to current day conveniences like rewind features, photo modes, etc. For those that bytch about it, they simply need not buy them.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, remakes and remasters are queues from the movie industry. TBH, I don't have much issue with either, provided they're done optimally to what current technology can do and/or meshes well with the original style of the game and/or further improves/enhances it. When done those correct ways, it's truly great thing and I don't see why folks bytch about it. It's like when they modernize the bible as well, so that it can capture the current times and new generation accordingly. And for fans of the OG version, if you're the type that replays classic games every now and then, I think it's great for those folks as well, cuz you can replay them with much improved modernizations, from better gfx and voice over work, to current day conveniences like rewind features, photo modes, etc. For thoe that bytch about it, they simply need not buy them.

Yep, i don’t mind remakes and well done remasters. I can’t play retro games (in their original state) anymore, I’ve tried.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, I the same, with select exceptions and situations. Like, I can play certain titles on like the steam deck, but play them shyts on the big screen....nope.

I was so hype to play Valkyrie Profile, i bought it and played it for like an hour and was like naw…:camby:

And The Zodiac Age is what pretty much redeemed FF12 and made it one of my favorites in the series

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
that's where Gizmo fuct up. it's shaping up to be a great year, but now everyone gonna be talking about 2004 and shyt
1993 was a GOAT year of gaming

That was the first that came to mind
2004 has Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2, Half Life 2, GTA San Andreas, World of Warcraft, The Sims 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Ninja Gaiden all in the same year.

You honestly believe this year is better than that?
How you leave out Def Jam FFNY, Showdown Legends Of Wrestling not to mention NCAA football 2005? :gucci:
Jordan's Last Dance
And-1 Mixtape Volume 1
Clinton / Lewinsky
DMX - It' Dark and Hell is Hot
Juvenile - 4000 Degreez
Denzel/Spike - He Got Game
Rush Hour
Truman Show
Cowboy Bebop
Power Puff Girls :troll:

1998 might be the GOAT year period. :picard:
How you leave out all the other classic hip hop albums? :gucci: