Are people still denying 2023 is not gonna be the GOAT year in gaming?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
17sU4R1lQaxXXZOThmwhhyIbdkGfDRci_e2RtKT8VQA.jpg

Several of these are considered the greatest in history. How many games in 2023 truly can claim that?

Maybe Tears of the Kingdom and Baulders Gate 3?

Wow. 2 games :mjlol:

Look forward to next year when gizmo makes the same bullshyt thread
Nah, I don't think Gizmo exaggerated. It may not be the GOAT year as that's all subjective but to make it seem like he's batshyt insane is a bit much lol.

This year has dropped some arguably GOAT games e.g.

Tears of the Kingdom, RE4 Remake, Baldur's Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, FFXVI, Street Fighter VI, Alan Wake 2, Hogwarts Legacy, Super Mario Wonder, Pikmin 4, Super Mario RPG Remake etc.

Ultimately it comes down to your own taste. Outside of GTA and MGS3, the rest of the games on that list aren't my favorite games of all time. They're highly rated though I'd agree.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Nah, I don't think Gizmo exaggerated. It may not be the GOAT year as that's all subjective but to make it seem like he's batshyt insane is a bit much lol.

This year has dropped some arguably GOAT games e.g.

Tears of the Kingdom, RE4 Remake, Baldur's Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, FFXVI, Street Fighter VI, Alan Wake 2, Hogwarts Legacy, Super Mario Wonder, Pikmin 4, Super Mario RPG Remake etc.

Ultimately it comes down to your own taste. Outside of GTA and MGS3, the rest of the games on that list aren't my favorite games of all time. They're highly rated though I'd agree.
Right. I don't see subjectivity as being a good reason to wild out on @Gizmo_Duck over this, lol. Especially considering @OnlyFrans is usually more sensible than that. I know it's realer than rap tho.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man I could make a DUMB long list, I love some of the goated years of the past. But remove nostalgia and 2023 is shaping up to be the GOAT year of all time with major Triple A games, double A games and indies for almost every genre.

Nostalgia more so than game releases is really what has a lot of yall locked into certain years.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Even if you don’t agree that this is THE GOAT year in gaming, it definitely has the games that put it in the conversation along with 95,98,01,04,07,2017.

The fukk are you doing here then?:what:
The problem is we're still in this year and many of those other years you can actually measure the legacy of them and the impact they had on the industry because there's been some distance between them and now.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
2023 will never come like 1998, but its been a BANGING year.

The fact that Nintendo dropped more than 2 AAA titles at The Switch's 7th year (!!!!!) of its lifespan, is crazy in itself. TotK, Sonic Superstars, Pikmin 4, Super Mario RPG remake, Super Mario Wonder, Street Fighter 6, and a ton more make this year a legit contender.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
I think only Tears and Baldur's gate will be influencial going forward.
But as far as a year for gaming, just having games to play, this year has been stacked.

Almost every month a big game was being released and there were a lot of smaller good games.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think only Tears and Baldur's gate will be influencial going forward.
But as far as a year for gaming, just having games to play, this year has been stacked.

Almost every month a big game was being released and there were a lot of smaller good games.

The only real mark against this year was that almost every big notable game was a sequel

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
The only real mark against this year was that almost every big notable game was a sequel
Personally I don't knock sequels. It's just the business.
Games as service are eternal.
Franchises change. Zelda to Tears barely even the same game.
BG3 is a spiritual sequel.
A lot of companies don't want to risk a new IP.