Are most Black Louisianians Catholic?

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Currently in New Orleans I don’t know many Catholics. Especially the youth

Growing up most people was going to baptist churches. My grams as from Mississippi and was catholic so I went to them when I was younger until I stop going to churches all together.

But I think alot of the younger gen are fully turned off Catholic Churches cause all the shyt with the priest and they say they last to long lol.

And they like to be entertained and think Catholic Churches are just old cac songs

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Certain % of the Black Panamanians are descendants of English speaking Caribbean immigrants (from Protestant countries). That member saying he doesn't know a lot of Black Catholics points to that being his heritage...English speaking , Protestant faith practicing roots.
My people are originally from Jamaica and we’re episcopal

Miss Lucifer's Love

she's the devil and i like it
Daps
My mother's family is catholic and so is my paternal grandfather's family and we're all from the DC area. I went to a Black catholic school in DC when I was little and there's a Black catholic HS here too.

My paternal grandmother is Baptist and they're from TX. The only other Black catholics I know are my people (by marriage) in New Orleans.

dr. pill biden

All Star
Daps
i’m not from there but my peoples are and they are from a long line of educated catholic creoles. my granny died with her rosary in her hands :blessed:

the only time i meet fellow black (american) catholics is if they’re from louisiana alabama or maryland

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A good portion of Blacks on the Gulf Coast are Catholic, but not a majority. I was born in the FIRST capital of French Louisiana (reps if someone can guess it) and I was raised Catholic.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
It's been answered but no. Baptists for the most part. Catholicism has it's pockets as far as black folks go....and it's big in NO. But outside of the city....Baptists for the most part.

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
Shouts out to Kerry "High Sock" Kittles

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Nope! Biloxi was a French town though
Ok, what was the city? You can spoiler it for others who want to guess. Didn't know that you are from that region.
Comes up a lot in discussions in the Root section. The Gulf Coast is and was a very culturally significant region.
You should check out the threads and weigh in.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Ok, what was the city? You can spoiler it for others who want to guess. Didn't know that you are from that region.
Comes up a lot in discussions in the Root section. The Gulf Coast is and was a very culturally significant region.
You should check out the threads and weigh in.

Show me that thread please!

Mobile, Alabama

Mobile was founded in 1702 by the French as the first capital of Louisiana. During its first 100 years, Mobile was a colony of France, then Great Britain, and lastly Spain. Mobile became a part of the United States in 1813, with the annexation by President James Madison of West Florida from Spain.

I used to tell people I was from Atlanta growing up because I moved there when I was a young kid, but the Gulf Coast as you said is culturally rich. A lot of French, African, Spanish, and English influence. People think the South is backwards and has no culture but that couldn't be further from the truth.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Currently in New Orleans I don’t know many Catholics. Especially the youth

Growing up most people was going to baptist churches. My grams as from Mississippi and was catholic so I went to them when I was younger until I stop going to churches all together.

But I think alot of the younger gen are fully turned off Catholic Churches cause all the shyt with the priest and they say they last to long lol.

And they like to be entertained and think Catholic Churches are just old cac songs

Do kids have to be Catholic to go to St. Aug or do they let anyone in?