Anyone watching "Industry" on HBO?

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
No it is not a TV thing there are literally preferential treatment that some employees get from managers that others do not if you adjust for seniority/position level in the company which is reflected between Harper and Eric. Workplace preference is universal, it manifests itself on who gets promoted which sometimes is not solely based on merit but on maybe who socializes or hangs out with management at happy hours or other social events outside of work with coworkers etc...

If you remember in season 1, they both bonded from the fact that they both are not upper class/rich white people who had connections that made it to the world of high finance, they basically earned it instead of getting there through connections. They both see themselves as "underdogs" and Eric sees himself in Harper. He is allowing her to stretch this WFH (work from home) situation up until higher upas from the NYC office are monitoring the situation with the London office.

Compounded by the fact that when the vaccine was rolling out especially in big cities (ie NYC) the industry that was front and center about getting employees back to the workplace was financial services. All the big investment banks literally were mandating vaccines and making your employment contingent on your vaccination status.

So you have Harper who is working from home while her other colleagues essentially have been forced back to the office. Some are going to feel some type of way and it manifested itself when Rishi screwed with her by withholding on the currency exchange rate info when she was on the phone with a big client.
Ok dude, I don't want to work from home so it don't mean nothing to me

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
looks like we got another Roman/Gerri situation on our hands.:mjlit:

Very strong episode. Anyone in sales or involved in complex deals in any way will definitely feel a twinge in their stomach at the whole Rican deal part of the episode. I'm not in high finance but even in normal/boring companies it's all the same. Dealing with multiple egos, frustration, feeling out of control because there are so many variables involved, feeling like a deal you scratched and clawed at for a long while is very fragile and someone in another department will fukk it up but you can't do anything because you depend on them, etc etc.

And unless I'm missing something, Yasmin is definitely stabbing her boyfriend Maxim in the back, right? She wants to manage her father's billions through Pierpoint, but that's effectively what Maxim's father is already doing, correct?

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I love the high finance work scenes takes me a few to remember the plot of season 1
Everyone besides Harper and the Asian dude Eric are basically nepotism/privilege hires but on a 2nd level they are also the ones who stress and worry about the job that much more compared to everyone else.

Everything else about this show is your typical spoiled rich teens/adult drama with the HBO maturity filter

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Had the impression that Rob (guy who just got his first client the old lady) was also from upper class privileged background however from that conversation with the client at dinner. He said that his mother said to him that if an upper class still existed once he became older, she wanted him to be a part of that.

Feels like the theme of the first episodes is that everyone is pushing hard and obtaining their objectives but destroying themselves:
- Harper got that private equity guy as a client ended up hyperventilating and crying in the bathroom
- Rob has to probably sleep with the woman who is old enough to be his mother and messing up his journey to sobriety
- Yasmin has to navigate being a woman in the industry and see whether she has to sleep with potential clients in addition to bringing her father's money
into the private wealth management into the firm which is potential conflicts of interests

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Really solid episode.

This track… :whew:

The scene that accompanies it…
full

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Had the impression that Rob (guy who just got his first client the old lady) was also from upper class privileged background however from that conversation with the client at dinner. He said that his mother said to him that if an upper class still existed once he became older, she wanted him to be a part of that.
Nah, he's from a working class family, he just went to the British equivalent to an Ivy League university. It's why Clement took a liking to him in season 1 despite initially mocking him as "a lad from the pit. How do you expect to sell financial products when you sound like a miner?".

Out of the whole "team" I root for him the most. Everyone dismisses him as a male thot because his looks and charm are mostly all he has going for him, but he's a genuinely solid dude. And he doesn't have Yasmin's wealth and upper class connections to fall back on. And while he's not brilliant like Harper, I get the feeling finance is filled with guys who were once like Rob. Guys like Rob turn into guys like Eric or Adler if they can handle the pressure and turn into "killers".

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Nah, he's from a working class family, he just went to the British equivalent to an Ivy League university. It's why Clement took a liking to him in season 1 despite initially mocking him as "a lad from the pit. How do you expect to sell financial products when you sound like a miner?".

Out of the whole "team" I root for him the most. Everyone dismisses him as a male thot because his looks and charm are mostly all he has going for him, but he's a genuinely solid dude. And he doesn't have Yasmin's wealth and upper class connections to fall back on. And while he's not brilliant like Harper, I get the feeling finance is filled with guys who were once like Rob. Guys like Rob turn into guys like Eric or Adler if they can handle the pressure and turn into "killers".

Yes I assumed because he went to Oxford highlighted in the first season then he probably came from a upper class background (wrong assumption since students regardless of background can attend those institutions but at a much lower probability than upper class students).

Harper is the example of someone that can turn into a killer and she has shown it on the show. She is what you alluded to compounded that she did not attend a target school for the industry. She is non-upper class, Black, woman from upstate New York and attended a SUNY (a state university). She has three strikes for that industry: (1) Class (2) Race (3) Gender (3) Non-selective institution (High level finance in the US tend to recruit Ivy Leaguers or selective non-Ivy League school like Stanford).

I think that's the whole aim of the writing is to have a character like Harper who does not fit the box of a type in the industry and turns into a killer because of that chip on her shoulder and there are a lot of guys/gals like that in finance.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
You think Rishi and Harper will hate fukk on some I can't stand your fiancee shyt? This series is wild
Nah, Rishi is just bat-shyt loco in general. Always crackin’ up at this guy spazzing out on call in the background. :russ:

Harper ended up earning his respect in the latest episode. Seems like they’re building up to something eventually happening between her and Danny, even though I think it’ll go south quickly.

Yasmin needs to watch her back when it comes to Celeste.

Daps
This show is very relatable for folks that work in high-pressure, client facing roles and does a great job at depicting those anxious moments like the scene to end the last episode.

Harper was on her Jordan shyt to offload those shares to Bloom. Saved everyones asses and potentially jobs :wow:
Despite the outcome, Eric was BIG MAD. The look on his face :russ: Was the only one that wasn't applauding Harper for that Jordan-esque performance

Daps
Nah, Rishi is just bat-shyt loco in general. Always crackin’ up at this guy spazzing out on call in the background. :russ:

Harper ended up earning his respect in the latest episode. Seems like they’re building up to something eventually happening between her and Danny, even though I think it’ll go south quickly.

Yasmin needs to watch her back when it comes to Celeste.
The background audio on this show is a dope layer that they do and be wild af. Adds to the ambience. Reminds me of GTA :russ:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey

You're rooting for the dude that falls upward. Then you'll love thle financial industry. I'm surrounded by ppl like this.