Anyone start MMA practice mid-30s or 40s?

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Anyone ever start practicing MMA (Wrestling, Muy Thai, BJJ, Boxing, etc.) in their 30s or 40s?

1.) Did you do it in your city, or did you do it during vacation/passport bros/expat life (i.e. Thailand, Colombia, etc.)

2.) Did you find it easy to find people that were also beginner level or near there so that you didn't get rag-dolled during sparring? Was it easy finding trainers that you were comfortable with?

3.) What kind of injuries did you suffer? Was it regular stuff like joint pain and a busted lip, or were you getting broken limbs, hematomas, cuts requiring stitches, etc.?

4.) Did you get ringworm or fungus from the grappling?

5.) Any other input you got to share?
1. Train close to home. It will keep you motivated.

2. There are always new students at gyms. Tell people you're a beginner and don't be a hero or you'll get smashed. If you're worried about getting ragdolled you may want to choose another sport. It's going to happen. If it's jiujitsu at least you're not being punched. Just ask for mercy and people will work with you. If the trainer has any recognized tournaments/ mma fights under his belt and or a solid lineage as an advanced practitioner you should be fine.

3. injuries come from spazzing and stubborness. Not tapping early. Not taking a break. Not letting go. Being to stiff. Getting into scrambles that require intense reflexes. Injuries can be dislocated fingers/toes, torn acl/mcl, knocked out tooth, black eye, broken nose, hyper extended joints, unconsciousness, neck pain. Many of these are preventable. Buy a mouth guard, wrap you're fingers and don't treat all your sparring sessions like real fights and you should be ok.

4. Ringworm, fungus, herpes can be a reality for you if your training partners are filthy. Make sure you bath thoroughly after class. Wash your hands or use sanitizer after training sessions. Head and shoulders plus soap and don't reuse the rag until it's washed.

5. Tap early , bath thoroughly. If you do no gi, wear rash guards. Don't wear your equipment twice without washing it. I run a germ wipe inside my boxing gloves. Don't spar anyone who has coldsores or smells like they scratch their nuts and wash their face with it. Stay away from gyms that don't wash their mats

Last edited:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
Anyone ever start practicing MMA (Wrestling, Muy Thai, BJJ, Boxing, etc.) in their 30s or 40s?

1.) in my city

2.) they usually have different levels starting with beginners

3.) no injuries in 10 years, I’ve done boxing, Krav Maga and now muy Thai but I don’t spar

4.) no I wear sneakers and Yeezy pods

5.) it’s fun and it’s a great way to meet new people

InterestedNow

Rookie
Daps
1. Train close to home. It will keep you motivated.

2. There are always new students at gyms. Tell people you're a beginner and don't be a hero or you'll get smashed. If you're worried about getting ragdolled you may want to choose another sport. It's going to happen. If it's jiujitsu at least you're not being punched. Just ask for mercy and people will work with you. If the trainer has any recognized tournaments/ mma fights under his belt and or a solid lineage as an advanced practitioner you should be fine.

3. injuries come from spazzing and stubborness. Not tapping early. Not taking a break. Not letting go. Being to stiff. Getting into scrambles that require intense reflexes. Injuries can be dislocated fingers/toes, torn acl/mcl, knocked out tooth, black eye, broken nose, hyper extended joints, unconsciousness, neck pain. Many of these are preventable. Buy a mouth guard, wrap you're fingers and don't treat all your sparring sessions like real fights and you should be ok.

4. Ringworm, fungus, herpes can be a reality for you if your training partners are filthy. Make sure you bath thoroughly after class. Wash your hands or use sanitizer after training sessions. Head and shoulders plus soap and don't reuse the rag until it's washed.

5. Tap early , bath thoroughly. If you do no gi, wear rash guards. Don't wear your equipment twice without washing it. I run a germ wipe inside my boxing gloves. Don't spar anyone who has coldsores or smells like they scratch their nuts and wash their face with it. Stay away from gyms that don't wash their mats
Thank you. I'd have to really be thorough when it comes to choosing a place to train at.

InterestedNow

Rookie
Daps
3. Fractured toe. Damaged finger joint. Concussion. A busted lip. Damaged my left eye I sometimes see a spot in my vision.
That sounds like permanent vision damage. That's the kind of thing that makes me think twice about practicing the sport. I'd be willingly putting myself into that situation.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
shyt fun asl u get to enjoy punching/being punched and learning ur style. it hardens ur reflexes

u learn faster when u train intentional (getting hit on purpose, fighting on inside range where it’s much harder, defense etc)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I started in my late 20s but I have martial arts experience. Also competed amateur around 31/32.

I trained locally. We have a lot of good striking and BJJ where I live.

I've never had any infections but I'm very mindful to wash myself before and after I train, but you can still get break outs so I recommend tea tree oil, defense soap etc.

Injuries I've sustained are a broken rib and retinal tear. Just got to be careful. Also obviously minor aches and pains. I would definitely recommend it! There's guys in their mid to late 40s that are still beasts. They won't be pros but that's fine!