Anyone start MMA practice mid-30s or 40s?

InterestedNow

Rookie
Daps
Anyone ever start practicing MMA (Wrestling, Muy Thai, BJJ, Boxing, etc.) in their 30s or 40s?

1.) Did you do it in your city, or did you do it during vacation/passport bros/expat life (i.e. Thailand, Colombia, etc.)

2.) Did you find it easy to find people that were also beginner level or near there so that you didn't get rag-dolled during sparring? Was it easy finding trainers that you were comfortable with?

3.) What kind of injuries did you suffer? Was it regular stuff like joint pain and a busted lip, or were you getting broken limbs, hematomas, cuts requiring stitches, etc.?

4.) Did you get ringworm or fungus from the grappling?

5.) Any other input you got to share?

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A
I thought about it...

But I don't work from home in my pajamas.. I actually have to get up and drive to the office.

No time for sports injuries :francis:

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's two threads about this on the front page now.

In the other one the man is advocating for karate. Usually we don't hear about it so much cuz UFC is on the tv, but he's making some good points.

This stuff is not going to help you in a place with a whole bunch of guns, but I guess if you are in a place where there's not a whole bunch of guns, then this kind of training could be good.

I'd be to worried about getting broken noses. Getting it broken, then getting healed, then getting it broken, then having an unending cycle of that. What's the best martial art to avoid the broken noses?

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Yes. I did.

1. Yeah my gym is in my city

2. My gym has a rule only give what you're ok with getting. As a general rule we go light with newcomers unless they turn it up.

3. Fractured toe. Damaged finger joint. Concussion. A busted lip. Damaged my left eye I sometimes see a spot in my vision.

4. Never got ringworm thank goodness. We cleaned the mats well.

5. Get used to getting hit. Kick the heavy bag as much you can and work on shooting double and single legs.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I did bjj for a little while in my mid 30s.

It's a great workout. I doubt you'll find yourself in real life combat scenarios if you're well adjusted at our age, but skills are good to have as a well rounded individual.

I eventually let it go due to reaggrivating some prior injuries I had and rehab just isn't a good use of time these days.

Also, you have to deal with the dumb ass bro culture :mjlol: