Anyone Interviewed in Corporate with Locs?

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Just wondering if anyone has experience with black hairstyles in corporate. I got three accounting interviews coming up next week and havent had a retwist in almost a month. I’m about 6 months loc’d with a dreadbob rn. Any general(social/dressing) tips to remain “professional” in their eyes? Things that have helped brehs along the way to success when feeling alienated as the only black person

BeeCityRoller

New Bee
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queen City
I got into the corporate healthcare environment almost a decade ago. I had locs back then and at that point I think they became less stigmatized compared to the 2000's/early 2010's.

However, my locs were always touched up. I stopped going to the hairstylist way back and started re-twisting myself once every 4-6 weeks but I always "touched up" my hair weekly by cleaning them and looping the new growth the front/edges. After about 2 years I started growing out a partial beard as well.

My dress clothes were always on point. I've been almost entirely remote since the pandemic so don't have to do it as often, but when I have to go onsite I make sure my fit is tailored and clean. I still make sure my locs are fresh when I have to do camera-on teams meetings though.

Bottom line is it depends on who is interviewing you. If they are judging you on having locs (granted they're neat) that was just stacking evidence on top of not wanting you there with the primary reason being a black man. If you show up to the interview and its all foreigners and "finance bros" I wouldn't wait for a followup and apply elsewhere. You'll have better luck with Tim Walz types.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Just wondering if anyone has experience with black hairstyles in corporate. I got three accounting interviews coming up next week and havent had a retwist in almost a month. I’m about 6 months loc’d with a dreadbob rn. Any general(social/dressing) tips to remain “professional” in their eyes? Things that have helped brehs along the way to success when feeling alienated as the only black person
You probably should go there as clean as you can. And do the locs after you get hired :mjlol:

Nokids

Promise if I have a seed imma guide him right
Daps
Reppin
I got Locs and got hired twice and worked for PepsiCo.. you’ll be Ight just prepare for your interview

africngiant

All Star
Daps
I dont do be doing corporate interviews but......go get retwisted, lol.
i would be over twisting it if i did it atp, but should i get barrel twists once i do it?

right now the best i can do is line myself up & fade it, but idk if it’ll make a difference anymore since my hair covers it now

africngiant

All Star
Daps
I can't tell if OP is trolling RN :russ:
lolz i’m being serious breh. i wanted to play it safe and grow out my locs in my last job but this white devilish manager that i trained to spot me on vacay, permanently stole my work and laid me off recently

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
lolz i’m being serious breh. i wanted to play it safe and grow out my locs in my last job but this white devilish manager that i trained to spot me on vacay, permanently stole my work and laid me off recently

Breh rule of thumb; first impressions are everything. You should be fresh from head 2 toe.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Breh rule of thumb; first impressions are everything. You should be fresh from head 2 toe.
word besides my lack of retwist everything else will be on point. i just dont know how prejudiced interviewers are of black hairstyles especially on us black men in corporate. i always hear of people cutting their hair for corporate and im not trying to do that at all

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
word besides my lack of retwist everything else will be on point. i just dont know how prejudiced interviewers are of black hairstyles especially on us black men in corporate. i always hear of people cutting their hair for corporate and im not trying to do that at all

relax breh you aint joining the army :russ: