Anyone else annoyed at reboots?

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of these reboots flopping though too like that new MIB. I think the new generation deserve their own new things to love. The thing is a lot of these new creative development movie execs are basically people in their 30s who are just rehashing the shyt they loved in their childhood.

A lot of it is also parents taking their kids to the movies. And that I understand, you wanna take your kids to whatever is gonna make them happy for two hours.

My biggest problem though is there are writers and filmmakers with FRESH IDEAS out there. There are screenwriters out there who have some amazing shyt that could be a future classic. But Hollywood doesn't wanna let them in cuz their scared to take chances.

Taking chances is a roll of the dice but you might have the next Star Wars on your hands. You never know. And even if you don't have a huge hit, you might have a cult classic. Movies like Fight Club, The Big Lebowski and so on and so forth flopped at the box office but then gained HUGE FOLLOWINGS once they hit homes.

At least that was from the same writer/director as the originals so he obviously knew how to do the material justice.

So you would take a chance when you got a family to feed and people who depend on you for work who also have families?

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
So you would take a chance when you got a family to feed and people who depend on you for work who also have families?

This is assuming Im already a rich ass Hollywood exec with a house in the hills? Yes. My fam is already good.

Take that Megan Ellison chick - she's the perfect example. Born a billionaire - she decided to invest her money on movies she loved...and it paid off for her. Now she's not just a trust fund baby - she's a critically acclaimed mogul. And she created a bunch of jobs for the industry doing it.

But let's say I'm not a rich exec. Let's say I'm some kid who just got out the mail room who is a script reader now. Hell yes I would be giving the scripts I think are dope recommends and the shyt I think is trash passes.

Playing it safe can backfire - Dark Phoenix and the new MIB are examples of that.

Last edited:

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is assuming Im already a rich ass Hollywood exec with a house in the hills? Yes. My fam is already good.

Take that Megan Ellison chick - she's the perfect example. Born a billionaire - she decided to invest her money on movies she loved...and it paid off for her. Now she's not just a trust fund baby - she's a critically acclaimed mogul. And she created a bunch of jobs for the industry doing it.

But let's say I'm not a rich exec. Let's say I'm some kid who just got out the mail room who is a script reader now. Hell yes I would be giving the scripts I think are dope recommends and the shyt I think is trash passes.

Playing it safe can backfire - Dark Phoenix and the new MIB are examples of that.

Yeah sometimes it does backfire but more often then not it does not. This is why you are complaing about reboots. And if you keep taking risks and you keep failing then where are the people who wanted to watch new movies?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
it depends, generally I can get annoyed cause some shyt has me :mjtf: on why they would want a reboot, like when Sony said they're going to reboot Look who's fukking Talking...who would watch that? Other times I am intrigued on how they'd retell it, like Child's Play...and if it's a property that wasn't a movie originally, like a book I am not too mad if they want to reinterpret the book or even make it closer to the book than previous efforts.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Yeah sometimes it does backfire but more often then not it does not. This is why you are complaing about reboots. And if you keep taking risks and you keep failing then where are the people who wanted to watch new movies?

Risks don't always fail, though. They can pay off. Every blockbuster was once an original (I use the term original loosely, counting stuff based on comic books or novels) because there had to be a first. There was a first Star Wars, there was a first Terminator, there was a first Die Hard, there was a first Avengers, a first MIB, etc. - and they all made so much that they all became franchises.

You come with more original movies, you potentially got future franchises.

Look at movies like Deadpool. In the mid-00's, studios wouldn't wanna touch this type of film. Once considered risky cuz its about an R-rated superhero, they took a chance and now they got a franchise.

But at a certain point, once Ryan Reynolds doesn't wanna do Deadpool anymore, the studios are gonna wanna reboot it with a dude who isn't gonna be as a good as him at the role and its gonna get stale. They are probably already planning when they can reboot Iron Man with a dude who isn't as a good at the role as RDJ. But instead of chasing past successes, you gotta move onto something new.

And if the risk does fail? Well, you took a shot...plus at least you might have made a movie you're actually proud of. A movie that can maybe stand the test of time. That's why I bring up joints like Fight Club. That movie was a 60 million R rated bomb - studio execs got fired over it. But then it hit DVD. Word of mouth spread after its theater run and it became one of the highest DVD sellers ever. Now it's a beloved movie to many.

Movies also have to be marketed right. I see movies that are marketed horribly and that's a big reason why they often fail.

Last edited:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Risks don't always fail, though. They can pay off. Every blockbuster was once an original (I use the term original loosely, counting stuff based on comic books or novels) because there had to be a first. There was a first Star Wars, there was a first Terminator, there was a first Die Hard, there was a first Avengers, a first MIB, etc. - and they all made so much that they all became franchises.

You come with more original movies, you potentially got future franchises.

Look at movies like Deadpool. In the mid-00's, studios wouldn't wanna touch this type of film. Once considered risky cuz its about an R-rated superhero, they took a chance and now they got a franchise.

But at a certain point, once Ryan Reynolds doesn't wanna do Deadpool anymore, the studios are gonna wanna reboot it with a dude who isn't gonna be as a good as him at the role and its gonna get stale. They are probably already planning when they can reboot Iron Man with a dude who isn't as a good at the role as RDJ. But instead of chasing past successes, you gotta move onto something new.

And if the risk does fail? Well, you took a shot...plus at least you might have made a movie you're actually proud of. A movie that can maybe stand the test of time. That's why I bring up joints like Fight Club. That movie was a 60 million R rated bomb - studio execs got fired over it. But then it hit DVD. Word of mouth spread after its theater run and it became one of the highest DVD sellers ever. Now it's a beloved movie to many.

Movies also have to be marketed right. I see movies that are marketed horribly and that's a big reason why they often fail.
This but take out Avengers. That movie was guaranteed to bank. Lmao. Or were you referring to the Avengers from the late 90s? :dead:

I would put X Men in there instead. Avengers was already built up to. Star wars, Terminator, Die Hard were not guaranteed hits and had many doubters. MiB was great timing and Will Smith.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
This but take out Avengers. That movie was guaranteed to bank. Lmao. Or were you referring to the Avengers from the late 90s? :dead:

I would put X Men in there instead. Avengers was already built up to. Star wars, Terminator, Die Hard were not guaranteed hits and had many doubters. MiB was great timing and Will Smith.

True lol Avengers is prolly not the best example. The first Iron Man is prolly better. Even though it was a big super hero movie, they took a chance by putting a guy who just a couple years before was considered an uninsurable drug addict. But they took a shot on it cuz he was perfect for the role and now they got the biggest franchise of the past ten years.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
True lol Avengers is prolly not the best example. The first Iron Man is prolly better. Even though it was a big super hero movie, they took a chance by putting a guy who just a couple years before was considered an uninsurable drug addict. But they took a shot on it cuz he was perfect for the role and now they got the biggest franchise of the past ten years.
Yes, rdj was the key. He really breathed life into that universe and without him it possibly wouldn't have popped off like that. Incredible hulk wasn't a huge hit but did well enough, Thor and first avenger weren't overly huge hits either. Iron man was always banking.

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
spiderman is on it's 3rd or 4th reboot since toby mcguire :mjlol:

i blame the people, if they can buy a spiderman movie every 2 yrs, fukk em

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I think Im just a lil more annoyed at the reboots they make.
Half these shyts wasnt good films to begin with.
:gucci:

They made a Baywatch flik and no hoes got nakey!!
:dwillhuh: