Anybody's parents decide their not leaving you anything? I think my mama decided that today cause I'm not a believer

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I mean I believe in GOD, butI just can't wrap my head around any religion being "correct"-- their modes of expressing faith IMO. And I'm okay with attending a lot more regularly when I'm in a serious relationship or married w/kids, but as a single breh. Its not my top priority.

That convo pretty much happened on our way home from a family reunion. Stop to get gas, hop back in, and she asks why people do things under the excuse that "We're family" -- and people only believe that cause that's what they were taught, etc (flipping my argument) -- That was a whole rabbithole cause she wouldn't accept that maybe the example/friend she was using was really trying to say "We're family AND I love her"

Anyway, the whole theme of not being obligated kept coming up. Up to this point, she kept saying she'll leave the money, etc to me cause my sister's on some other shyt right now. Today for the first time, she said "I'm not leaving yall anything. I'm spending every dime I got" :dwillhuh: I'm not MAD by but I just don't understand. I'm being honest and TRYING to find my way back into church the nest way I know how, but it feels like we're being punished cause "Your level faith is not enough"

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Just dance around the topic or lie:yeshrug:

I believe but I deeeeeeefinitely don’t believe everything the church says. The people who run/head these faith traditions are definitely keeping some truths from us.
In the end all I can control is my belief, faith and actions. 🤷🏾‍♀️
But I don’t put any priests, pastors, bishops, etc on a pedestal because they give into temptation and do wild shyt when no one is looking. Half of them don’t even believe to be honest.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Damn OP.

I started going to church with Momz when I came home several years ago.

Every Sunday. Not cause of religion, because of her. Also, I have so much respect for the Black Church as concerns music and Civil Rights.

Black Gospel is the root and beating heart of all American music. This new shyt (post mid 2000s) has almost no real music in it, but the Black Church is the root of all Soul, Rock, Country, R and B, and Hip Hop.

And the ancestors kept the faith THROUGH SLAVERY and Jim Crow. They changed this crazy world. The Black Church made it so we have the little freedom that we have now

Like OP I am a historian and scientist. I doubt Jesus was an actual person. But I don't challenge the believers anymore. I sing and shout with them.

Is freeing to let go of your "belief" (or lack thereof) and just celebrate with those who celebrate.

I worship Black Jesus. Even though I think it might be imaginary. What's real is the generations of people who use that symbolism to maintain through this horror we call America.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Nah, but if it ever happens, it is what it is :manny: Not only am I priviledged enough to not need or want anything from them, people do what they want for whatever reasons they come up with

And you're free to react however you want, from letting it slide to cutting all ties with her

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Bushed
Daps
I mean I believe in GOD, butI just can't wrap my head around any religion being "correct"-- their modes of expressing faith IMO. And I'm okay with attending a lot more regularly when I'm in a serious relationship or married w/kids, but as a single breh. Its not my top priority.

That convo pretty much happened on our way home from a family reunion. Stop to get gas, hop back in, and she asks why people do things under the excuse that "We're family" -- and people only believe that cause that's what they were taught, etc (flipping my argument) -- That was a whole rabbithole cause she wouldn't accept that maybe the example/friend she was using was really trying to say "We're family AND I love her"

Anyway, the whole theme of not being obligated kept coming up. Up to this point, she kept saying she'll leave the money, etc to me cause my sister's on some other shyt right now.
Today for the first time, she said "I'm not leaving yall anything. I'm spending every dime I got" :dwillhuh: I'm not MAD by but I just don't understand. I'm being honest and TRYING to find my way back into church the nest way I know how, but it feels like we're being punished cause "Your level faith is not enough"

Respectfully, I believe your mother might be using the guise of church/religion as an excuse because she really doesn't want to leave any of her assets to you and your siblings or has very few assets to distribute after her passing.