Any movies you think had an uncredited co-director?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Deer Hunter felt like a Francis Ford Coppola film. I wonder if he helped in some capacity

Exactly that’s what I’m saying

It was such a great movie and it was a high that Cimino never even came close to reaching again

I think he had help

mtg

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everybody knows about Spielberg practically help direct Poltergeist, but couldn't get the credit because he was contracted to another studio.

Are there any other movies where you think it was a secret co-director in the mix
Apparently, Spielberg helped a lot with revenge of the sith. I heard he was basically the second unit director for the movie.

I also know PTA basically shadowed and helped Altman a lot on his last film A prairie home companion. PTA was brought on board incase Altman couldn’t finish it.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Apparently, Spielberg helped a lot with revenge of the sith. I heard he was basically the second unit director for the movie.

I also know PTA basically shadowed and helped Altman a lot on his last film A prairie home companion. PTA was brought on board incase Altman couldn’t finish it.
There were rumors that Spielberg help direct the pod racing scene

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
I think John Favreau and Kevin Smith had a hand in making the 2000's Daredevil flick at least passable. It's the only movie from that director that was any good. Ghostrider sucked balls

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think John Favreau and Kevin Smith had a hand in making the 2000's Daredevil flick at least passable. It's the only movie from that director that was any good. Ghostrider sucked balls
I was surprised the Ghost Rider movie got a sequel.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Edgar Wright was heavily involved with pre production before dropping out of the first Ant Man.
You can see traces of his style through out the film

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Is the below common knowledge? I didn't learn it until just a few days ago...so it's funny to run into this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Vogue, Steven Spielberg directed a short scene in Scarface during the raid on Tony Montana's house at the end of the movie. The part that Spielberg shoots is the low-angle shot of when the attackers are coming into Tony’s house while using grappling hooks. Spielberg's direction wasn't a substantial contribution, but it was an interesting scene to add to his portfolio for the intense action shots he had yet to film. The Indiana Jones movies had a few fight scenes that likely inspired Spielberg, but nothing as dark as a gunfight to assassinate a drug lord.

Spielberg and De Palma were apparently good friends at the time and were known to frequent each other’s movie sets. The two directors had always wanted to collaborate on a film, so when Spielberg was on set for Scarface's climactic gunfight scene, De Palma convinced him to take over one of the early shots. Spielberg apparently wanted his contribution to be uncredited so as to not take any creative recognition away from De Palma. Fortunately for De Palma, Spielberg didn’t ask to take over the infamous “say hello to my little friend” part of the scene.

At the time of his Scarface directing bit, Spielberg had just come off of E.T. in 1982 and may have been searching for a way to ease into a darker, more dramatic style of movies. While the scene of Tony’s house raid is one of the most famous crime scenes in history, it’s not the most violent scene Spielberg has shot. Considering the early Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan puts one right in the middle of the deadly World War II battle, Scarface was just a preview of the violence Spielberg was waiting to portray. It’s only a matter of time until the world gets a full feature gangster movie from Spielberg to add to the classics by Coppola, Scorsese, and De Palma.