Any Excel experts? Need help.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Need some assistance I can't seem to find the answer searching google.

I have a copy and paste problem when the filter is on.

I have two excel files. In file 1 I have 475 entries. When I apply filter I get 175 entries. Now In the other excel file (file 2) I have some data for those exact 175 entries. I want to copy data from a column in excel file 2 and want to paste in a column in excel file 1.

If I paste directly, it will never matches the corresponding cells. It says "the information cannot be pasted because the copy area and the paste area are not in the same size and shape"

Is there any way I can copy data from file 2 i.e .(without filters) and paste in file 1 (with filters)?

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
You can only copy selections into a space that is either:
a) the exact same size
b) only a single cell (other adjacent cells will be overwritten as needed to fit)

You can always cut the 175 entries from document A into a new document, paste the info from document B in, then ctra+a ctrl+c ctrl+v it all back into document A.
Only it will be out of its original order.
You can hit the A-Z button to sort it, but I'm not sure if you are working with it alphabetically or what the deal is content wise, so IDK if that will work for you.

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
1. Apply filters to data in excel file 1
2. Copy data from excel file 1.
3. Paste filtered data from excel file 1 into a new (blank) tab. It will only paste the filtered results.
4. Copy data from excel file 2.
5. Paste data from excel file 2 into the new spreadsheet created in step 3.
6. Rep @BaldingSoHard.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
1. Apply filters to data in excel file 1
2. Copy data from excel file 1.
3. Paste filtered data from excel file 1 into a new (blank) tab. It will only paste the filtered results.
4. Copy data from excel file 2.
5. Paste data from excel file 2 into the new spreadsheet created in step 3.
6. Rep @BaldingSoHard.
The only problem with that is, I still need to send all the data from file 1 (even the ones that get any data from file 2), not just the filtered data.

I suppose I could just create a separate tab though with the filtered data (with the pasted data from file 2), but I would like it all on one tab.

Kimo_bud

Banned
Daps
Reppin
LWO
my windows 8 says excel has expired. How or what can I download free and easy to open excel files?

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
my windows 8 says excel has expired. How or what can I download free and easy to open excel files?
The Google Sheets from Google Drive is nice. If you have a Gmail account, I would recommend that. But if you insist on software, you could use Open Office.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I have another issue this time and I still don't know how to use vlookup.

Damn I hate excel. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The values I need all say #REF!, the others say #N/A. The N/A means no matches were found. But how do I get the matches, the #REF!, in the cells that I need?