'Animorphs' movie in development

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
{TB EXCLUSIVE} Universal Is Developing An "Animorphs" Movie Based On The Bestselling Book Series

Fresh off our report that Sony is developing a Goosebumps sequel, it’s now been confirmed to us here at The Tracking Board that Universal is intending to reboot another beloved ’90s book series. That’s right, ANIMORPHS is currently in development, with Deborah Forte producing via her Silvertongue Films shingle. Maradith Frenkel is overseeing the project for the studio.

Animorphs marks the latest in ’90s titles to see a big screen adaptation, with Paramount even planning a Nicktoonscrossover movie. The bestselling sci-fi book series, written by K. A. Applegate and published by Scholastic, follows a group of teens who come across a crashed spaceship with a dying alien being inside.

The teens are then individually granted an extraordinary gift, the ability to shape-shift into any animal that they touch. Codenaming themselves Animorphs (combo of “animal morphers”), they use their powers to combat a secret alien invasion of creatures that possess the bodies of humans.

The books, which became instantly recognizable due to covers featuring a person transforming into an animal, was a success, leading to companion novels and spanning an impressive 54 entries in the series. Animorphs also gained notoriety from the 1998 TV series that aired on Nickelodeon, which actually starred X-Men actor Shawn Ashmore and Royal Pains‘ Paulo Costanzo.

galleryimage956026321-feb-13-2012-600x876.jpg

Forte is the perfect person to shepherd the adaptation, as Silvertongue was specifically formed to adapt Scholastic’s vast library of titles under a three-year deal with Universal.

Forte also served as an executive producer on the original Anirmorphsseries, as well as on Goosebumps, Clifford, and The Magic School Bus. Forte is currently producing Sony’s Goosebumps film, which bows on October 16th, as well as a Clifford the Big Red Dog adaptation for Universal.

Our sources confirm that the studio is now looking for a writer to script their take on the film, which is said to put a heavy focus on the sci-fi nature of the story. We’re also told that the studio is also interested in finding a capable writer/director with a knack for sci-fi, with Attack The Block scribe/director Joe Cornish and Ender’s Game writer/director Gavin Hood described as a template.

It’ll be interesting to see how Animorphs fares in a contemporary landscape, but with careful updating, the franchise has the potential to stand out in a crowded market of dull, conventional dystopian YA properties

Numero Deux

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Unapproachable East
Never was really into the series, but if they can pull off an adaptation this time around....:ld::lupe:

Question is: do they really intend to adapt ALL of those books into a movie franchise? Even a fraction of that number? There were over 20 of them...

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never was really into the series, but if they can pull off an adaptation this time around....:ld::lupe:

Question is: do they really intend to adapt ALL of those books into a movie franchise? Even a fraction of that number? There were over 20 of them...
All of what books ? Every animorph book ? While I don't remember the ending a lot of the key events can be condensed in the timeline . Do these though with a clear path for why the sequel needs to be made .,

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
The books ended kind of fukked up.

They "won" but the blond girl who was into gymnastics was killed.

The leader Jake went into depression and went on a mission to destroy the last remaining yearks and was assimilated into some type of inter dimensional being called "The One".

Damn :mjcry:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I thought the series ended on a cliffhanger with an older version of Jake and the crew venturing out to space to save a captured/possessed... Ax i think was his name? The purple alien centuar that rocked with them.

Anyway, i read them books religiously as a kid. Loved them and the novels. Tobias was my favorite and i was rooting for him and Rachel to have some type of happy ending...

I remember the tv show as well but didn't like it, was just too watered down compared to the books.

But even to this day I acknowledge the guy who plays Iceman in the X-Men films as "Jake". Even when i was watchin Days of Future Past.. like a damn 15+ years later, and i saw him, i was like lol that ain't bobby, that's Jake. Damn time flies.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
I read these books in first and second grade, can't remember much but Jake was that dude :lupe:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
this was my childhood right here :banderas: the books :wow: the show :wow: shout out to tobias

there was atleast 50 books, i know cause i read most of them :banderas: i think there was a choose your own adventure one too :noah:

fukk that we getting 6 animorph movies :blessed: