AncestryDNA results 93% Black Beninese Queen

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Louisiana received a lot of Yoruba, Fon, Ewe and Fante people. Trinidad is heavily Igbo. So it correlates with importation patterns
I plan on trying AfricanAncestry to see from which tribe I originate. I’m more confident that I won’t get a white dead end.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
7-ECAFF2-C-087-B-42-D6-8-A08-6821-B801-DC44.jpg

WaveMolecules

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I got 40% Iberian peninsula and 40% Native American. The rest was a sprinkling of European and African.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
wnNup1cl.png

I thought we had a thread for this. But it seems it’s just individual ones. Thought I’d share.

Have you given up the DNA? What’s your results?

I used 23andme.

83% African
15% European
0.7% Native American
0.1% Western Asian/North African
0.3% unassigned

My biggest individual ethnicities was 37% Ghanaian/Liberian/Sierra Leonean, 23% Nigerian, 10% Angolan/Congolese & 9.5% English/Irish.

I did both 23andme and AncestryDNA. I take the countries they list with a grain of salt. They both said I am 83-86% SSA, but the countries and their % are different. But on the plus side, they both state similar DNA communities (i.e. African Americans in Virginia) in my DNA story which seems to be accurate.

I did both 23andMe and Ancestry. 23andMe has me at 72.8% black (60% West African), 24.3% white, and 2.5% Asian/Indigenous American. Largest ethnic groups are Ghanaian/Liberian/Sierra Leonan (23.9%); Nigerian (22.8%); Congolese/Southern East African (10.7%)...

Ancestry has me at 73% black, 26% white, and 1% Asian. Ancestry specifically identified my DNA communities to Louisiana Creoles which is accurate, and both have matched me with more people from Louisiana than anywhere else, both white and black people. And I've never been to Louisiana a day in my life, but my 72-year old maternal grandma grew up in Arkansas, and her father was from Louisiana and they were there often when she was a child. Didn't find out until 2017 or so, thru her, that we are Creole of Color, so it made all the Louisiana matches make sense...

The general racial splits line up with each other on both, so I figure it's accurate. I got the 23andMe in Dec 2015 and Ancestry in Summer 2018; was stunned initially to see that there's that much European in my line, needed a second opinion from Ancestry. I have white relatives by marriage, but none that I actually know I'm blood-related to. So that ~25% number was odd to me---->then I found out about my Creole ancestry and it all made sense, since Louisiana Creoles are a multiracial people. That, and the fact my paternal grandma had a white mom, helped me make sense of it...

Everyone by blood I know in my family is black but all this stuff was cool to find out anyway!

Louisiana received a lot of Yoruba, Fon, Ewe and Fante people. Trinidad is heavily Igbo. So it correlates with importation patterns

Interesting...

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Louisiana received a lot of Yoruba, Fon, Ewe and Fante people. Trinidad is heavily Igbo.
I did both 23andMe and Ancestry. 23andMe has me at 72.8% black (60% West African), 24.3% white, and 2.5% Asian/Indigenous American. Largest ethnic groups are Ghanaian/Liberian/Sierra Leonan (23.9%); Nigerian (22.8%); Congolese/Southern East African (10.7%)...

Ancestry has me at 73% black, 26% white, and 1% Asian. Ancestry specifically identified my DNA communities to Louisiana Creoles which is accurate, and both have matched me with more people from Louisiana than anywhere else, both white and black people. And I've never been to Louisiana a day in my life, but my 72-year old maternal grandma grew up in Arkansas, and her father was from Louisiana and they were there often when she was a child. Didn't find out until 2017 or so, thru her, that we are Creole of Color, so it made all the Louisiana matches make sense...

The general racial splits line up with each other on both, so I figure it's accurate. I got the 23andMe in Dec 2015 and Ancestry in Summer 2018; was stunned initially to see that there's that much European in my line, needed a second opinion from Ancestry. I have white relatives by marriage, but none that I actually know I'm blood-related to. So that ~25% number was odd to me---->then I found out about my Creole ancestry and it all made sense, since Louisiana Creoles are a multiracial people. That, and the fact my paternal grandma had a white mom, helped me make sense of it...

Everyone by blood I know in my family is black but all this stuff was cool to find out anyway!

Interesting...
The Ghanaian could be the Fante and Ewe portion. The Liberian and Sierra Leonean could Kpelle and Mende. Nigerian should be Yoruba and maybe Edo (since Louisiana disproportionately got Southwest Nigerians). Congolese and Angola should be Kongo. Approximate makeup of your specific ethnic origins.

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
23andMe’s latest update provides new ancestral connections to 25 African ethnolinguistic groups, or groups of people who share a common language and culture.

Along with the Recent Ancestor Locations previously covered, this brings us to over 200 Ancestry Composition populations in Africa. This update is just one of many steps we’re taking to offer richer and more detailed information for customers with African ancestry. We are always looking to improve and we hope to add even more granular ancestry results to our customers and better represent the depth of our genetic diversity.

23andMe