American Simone Manuel speaks out on police brutality, race after earning Olympic gold

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
“It is something I’ve definitely struggled with a lot,” Manuel said. “Coming into the race I tried to take weight of the black community off my shoulders. It’s something I carry with me. I want to be an inspiration, but I would like there to be a day when it is not ‘Simone the black swimmer.

:francis:

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sista to be crowned as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

She shouldn't be ashamed to represent her people. When she go out their she not only represent her self but she represents THE BLACK COMMUNITY. A lot of these black athletes today seem to rep themselves and say damn the black community. Jesse Owens represented his people. He did it for his people. These athletes owe a obligation to that. She spoke out against police brutality but at the same time she's shying away from her blackness.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
“It is something I’ve definitely struggled with a lot,” Manuel said. “Coming into the race I tried to take weight of the black community off my shoulders. It’s something I carry with me. I want to be an inspiration, but I would like there to be a day when it is not ‘Simone the black swimmer.

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sista to be crowned as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

She shouldn't be ashamed to represent her people. When she go out their she not only represent her self but she represents THE BLACK COMMUNITY. A lot of these black athletes today seem to rep themselves and say damn the black community. Jesse Owens represented his people. He did it for his people. These athletes owe a obligation to that. She spoke out against police brutality but at the same time she's shying away from her blackness.
That's not what's shes saying. She doesnt want to be the black gold medalist. She wants to be the gold medalist. When you throw black, white, Asian etc description of achievement, it's an asterisk.

Imagine winning a race and being called the black first place winner...da fukk is that supposed to mean? There's a white one too?

Playeroni

Aka Nasty Neighbor #CREEPLIFE
Daps
Simone-Manuel-SI18_TK1_00319.jpg

:mjponder::tomlinpray::sadzeke:
Jesus Christ she's mighty healthy fukk

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps

You guys need to stop expecting ideological purity to your standards out of everyone because 99% of the time you will be disappointed because at some point and at some time they will have an opinion that slightly deviates from your ideological grade book. There is a sliding scale to this shyt.

Secondly, I understand her feelings on the matter. She isn't in denial about being black, I think we can agree on that. However, when you have a skill or some sort of talent you are a proud of, there is a desire to be known for that skill instead of with the additional qualifier of your race. She probably feels more this way towards reactions from non-blacks instead of black people because it has the sort of air that is similar to when non-black people say shyt like "She's pretty...for a black girl" instead of simply saying "Shes pretty". As if their race is a handicap to their exception skill or talent. So she probably wants to be known as a gold medal swimmer and an exceptional swimmer compared to her peers instead of a pretty good swimmer...for a black girl.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
You're right at least she did speak out while most world famous like Kobe and Lebron acted like complete jackasses (especially Lebron's disgraceful act towards the Tamir Rice incident)

But as far as owing a obligation, as Black athletes, they should have a obligation to their people and don't turn their backs on them when they get big. They must contribute in some way back to the community because at the end of the day, their fame will be gone but their blackness will be their until they die.

Nobody is obligated to do damn thing, people need to stop with this type of thinking, and need to learn to get theirs on their own. If people want to give back, that's a bonus, NOT a requirement.

The American

Defending America against cacs
Daps
It would have been a huge statement if she accepted her medal, then walked off the podium, showing no love to the cacs' flag. Hopefully someday that will happen.

HeavyTheDon

Banned
Daps
Y'all are trying too hard, she didn't say anything that's considered standing up imo. I will be glad when an athlete or rich black person says what needs to be said and be unapologetic about it. As long as we keep pu$$y footing around with this sh1t, we won't get anywhere. You get up there, talk plain, and call America out for its bullsh1t concerning their treatment of our people