American Simone Manuel speaks out on police brutality, race after earning Olympic gold

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
“It is something I’ve definitely struggled with a lot,” Manuel said. “Coming into the race I tried to take weight of the black community off my shoulders. It’s something I carry with me. I want to be an inspiration, but I would like there to be a day when it is not ‘Simone the black swimmer.

:francis:

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sist to be crowned her as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

She shouldn't be ashamed to represent her people. When she go out their she not only represent her self but she represents THE BLACK COMMUNITY. A lot of these black athletes today seem to rep themselves and say damn the black community. Jesse Owens represented his people. He did it for his people. These athletes owe a obligation to that. She spoke out against police brutality but at the same time she's shying away from her blackness.

I can see where you coming from but everybody not Jesse Owens breh. Be glad she got the right mindset, everybody isn't that outspoken

Most these nikkas can't even condemn police for the shyt they doing without turning around and back tracking in the same statement. Hell half these men shy away from it and say some outright c00n shyt.

These athletes don't "owe" an obligation to anyone. I don't know where people get this from, they choose too and most don't

yyy

All Star
Daps
“It is something I’ve definitely struggled with a lot,” Manuel said. “Coming into the race I tried to take weight of the black community off my shoulders. It’s something I carry with me. I want to be an inspiration, but I would like there to be a day when it is not ‘Simone the black swimmer.

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sist to be crowned her as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

She shouldn't be ashamed to represent her people. When she go out their she not only represent her self but she represents THE BLACK COMMUNITY. A lot of these black athletes today seem to rep themselves and say damn the black community. Jesse Owens represented his people. He did it for his people. These athletes owe a obligation to that. She spoke out against police brutality but at the same time she's shying away from her blackness.
I have rarely, if ever, seen someone so miss the point. I watched the race real time and I saw the interview afterwards. She made sure to credit the Black people who had come before her. She wasn't running away from her Blackness she was embracing it. To be honest, I really have to question how you perceive things given that you come into what should be a celebration thread and slam the girl.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sista to be crowned as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

I think her point was that police brutality and really black issues as a whole are so out of control it's stressful and depressing. I think she was merely emphasizing how problematic it all is and she'd like for one day, it not to matter (meaning change needs to happen)

yyy

All Star
Daps
Simone Manuel on making history: ‘The gold medal wasn’t just for me’
Manuel, though, shared it with a wider audience — all young African-American girls. None had ever before won an individual Olympic medal in swimming. After preparation that took a lifetime, Manuel thus became a role model in less than a minute.

“Hopefully it will get them inspired,” Manuel said. “The gold medal wasn’t just for me. It was for people who came before me and inspired me to stay in this sport, and for people who believe that they can’t do it. I hope that I’m an inspiration to others to get out there and try swimming. They might be pretty good at it.”

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State

Ok I know thecoli desperately wants a young, good-looking sista to be crowned as Queen but y'all need to pay attention to this last paragraph. She said tried to take the weight of the black community off her shoulders. Why? Why she thinks representing her people is such a burden? She's speaking up but at the same time she is downplaying her blackness. She's letting whites know she's no threat to them. Becaise she doesn't want to be known as the blsck swimmer.

You're trying too hard.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps

:mjlol: Stop reaching

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

i mean she says she just wants to be a swimmer which is understandable since nobody wants to be known for the race rather than their skills :yeshrug:

At the same time she needs to embrace it because its always gonna be there :yeshrug:

She sonned them Australian cac bytches tho :ahh:#blackexcellence

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I can see where you coming from but everybody not Jesse Owens breh. Be glad she got the right mindset, everybody isn't that outspoken

Most these nikkas can't even condemn police for the shyt they doing without turning around and back tracking in the same statement. Hell half these men shy away from it and say some outright c00n shyt.

These athletes don't "owe" an obligation to anyone. I don't know where people get this from, they choose too and most don't
You're right at least she did speak out while most world famous like Kobe and Lebron acted like complete jackasses (especially Lebron's disgraceful act towards the Tamir Rice incident)

But as far as owing a obligation, as Black athletes, they should have a obligation to their people and don't turn their backs on them when they get big. They must contribute in some way back to the community because at the end of the day, their fame will be gone but their blackness will be their until they die.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
i mean she says she just wants to be a swimmer which is understandable since nobody wants to be known for the race rather than their skills :yeshrug:

At the same time she needs to embrace it because its always gonna be there :yeshrug:

She sonned them Australian cac bytches tho :ahh:#blackexcellence
And I understand where she is coming from with just being acknowledged for her skills and not her race but we don't live in a perfect world.

She will always be known as the blsck swimmer who happened to be THE BEST. And especially in bolded she shouldn't have shyed away from it when the microphone is to her mouth. But she's young and probably no one has coached her like this. She's definately not a complete lost and spoke out more then her peers. So that is comendable.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You're right at least she did speak out while most world famous like Kobe and Lebron acted like complete jackasses (especially Lebron's disgraceful act towards the Tamir Rice incident)

But as far as owing a obligation, as Black athletes, they should have a obligation to their people and don't turn their backs on them when they get big. They must contribute in some way back to the community because at the end of the day, their fame will be gone but their blackness will be their until they die.

I'm just saying breh, let her get and enjoy some sustained success first. She really did more than enough for her to be in this stage of her career

I'd rather athletes get these millions and billions out of these cacs ( Jordan lebron ) and put nikkas on and in positions of power then these lil statements but I appreciate the statement she made.

We need to be playin chess, not checkers at this point in it

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I have rarely, if ever, seen someone so miss the point. I watched the race real time and I saw the interview afterwards. She made sure to credit the Black people who had come before her. She wasn't running away from her Blackness she was embracing it. To be honest, I really have to question how you perceive things given that you come into what should be a celebration thread and slam the girl.

:whew: Babygurl said all the right things since I saw the whole thing. Very comendable. Ill proudly take this L :manny:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps

Women can only do so much. We are blessed that black women are stronger than other types of women but still we cant expect them to do too much.

At the end of the day its up to us men to do most of the work.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
St louis
wat6rr.jpg

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Bushed
Daps
Black Excellence! :blessed:

Bravo to this sister for her Gold Medal win & having the courage to speak her mind!