"American Fiction" | December 2023 | starring Jeffrey Wright, Issa Rae & Sterling K. Brown

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Everett has been super coy about the film, declining interviews about it for its entire press run, speaking only on stage with Jefferson. Part of it is that he was paid for the rights to his book (a relatively paltry sum), and part of it is he doesn't think much of the film (I know someone extremely close to him) - but he also doesn't really care one way or the other. Like, this sort of shyt is so irrelevant to him. He exists in a world so separate from the mainstream - not just in terms of popular entertainment, but just life in general. He's a total weirdo, in the best way.

The whole representation as remedy ethos that has come to define so much of the black "art" churned out over the past 5 or so years has significantly shifted the way we discuss and consume it, elevating the mundane to radical, and acts of assimilation to acts of subversion. The political and social machinery for material change and uplift is broken, leaving us no outlet for radical action to better our station in life - so we settle for the fundamentally white, capitalist concept of radical politic: vote with your dollars. Which leads up to an impotent politic, where we fete mediocre art and rejoice when we see someone who resembles us in the flimsiest way on-screen, or winning an establishment award. As a paragraph from the other essay referenced in one of the tweets I posted articulated:

That has been the great con of the post-George Floyd era: So many opportunists posing as garden-variety creatives, activists, intellectuals, and DEI experts sold the idea that the success of their individual pursuits should be seen as a referendum on collective black uplift, that an assertion of black identity is part and parcel of what makes a piece of art or an essay excellent, worth your attention, and deserving of your money. Rather than a meaningful discourse in which we examine how race and art move in tandem, we’ve seen the creation of a crude capitalistic “representation” assembly line that cheapens the seriousness and stakes of both.

We've become unserious while taking ourselves seriously in the most hollow ways. We talk about pedestrian movies as if they're Earth-shattering, historical events: I've got to see this in an all-black theater, with my parents, with a dozen Harriet Tubman candles burning. The Wakanda parties were amusing before they became depressing. It's good that black people get to make and act in more films. And even though Cord Jefferson - who people in Hollywood know as one of those tragic mixed dudes who only fukk white women and never really embraced race until it became profitable to do so - sanitized a truly brilliant and radical book into a black Hallmark movie, I guess it's true that we could use more black Hallmark movies too. But to pretend a Hallmark movie is a groundbreaking social satire that marks a singular moment for the culture is just more of the same okey doke. The vast majority of the overwhelming white community of film critics didn't read Erasure, and neither did the vast majority of black people who saw the film. And almost none of the white critics understand or even care about the complexities of racism in the arts, nor do they care. And the black audience is locked out of that too. Which is why you need black critics, and a black intellectual class and arts class with integrity and skin in the game to disseminate this information to a wider black audience. Not just a bunch of negroes who look at mediocre shyt winning and give a standing ovation because "hey, that could be me soon."
Would love to know what was "Hallmark" about the movie?

Monk literally self destructs around his own self contempt and inability to identify his own ineffectiveness to connect with a wide audience regarding his "elevated" work. He castigates a system/group of people for gravitating around a form of expression that he himself doesn't actually understand because of his upbringing and instead of adopting any kind of strategy to make his preferred content more appealing to the masses.. He opts for self loathing.. And thats because he himself as a character is shallow and doesn't have the empathy nor desire to explore other people's motivations...

As a result of his faults... He doesn't get the girl in the end

And is neutered in the name of money and against his own binary self righteousness that powered his belief system through the whole first 3/4 of the film... He literally sells out in the end... becoming exactly what he had been internally rallying against his whole career...

I've never seen a hallmark character behave along such self destructive and nihilistic patterns so I really am confused by these kinds of references... It's like people digested a totally different story.... The shyt is actually a tragedy tbh

Last edited:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Would love to know what was "Hallmark" about the movie?

You can read the book or either of the critiques referenced in those tweets. That is, if you’re genuinely interested and not simply looking to rebut the assessment. The key would be all of the changes to the source material that water down and fundamentally change Everett’s insights and ratchet up maudlin melodrama where there was none.

From one of the essays:

“In Erasure, Monk’s sister, Lisa, doesn’t die of a sudden heart attack; she’s murdered by an anti-abortion activist who stalked her and shot her in cold blood. Monk’s mother, Agnes, doesn’t dance in joyous harmony with gay men on a beach at Lorraine’s wedding; she misses the wedding entirely. Their relationship is fraught with tension, because they have come to resent each other. Lorraine is, after all, their servant, not family. There’s an explicit examination of intra-racial class dynamics prevalent in the book that American Fiction entirely elides, and the choice feels telling.”

Monk isn’t some lonely dweeb who just needs to let people love him. He never even dates this woman - he loses his erection in bed because he sees the issa raye boom on her nightstand. He fukks other women though. He isn’t a pedantic sad sack at all. . His brother isn’t some dynamic, handsome guy who explains the family to Monk. And there is no real relationship between him and Monk, he’s barely on the page. The really sharp criticism is pitched way down, and the navel-gazing family melodrama exaggerated and pitched way up. It’s like he took a book that should’ve had the darkness and brutal insight of Succession and gave the audience Family Matters. Even that easy listening soundtrack had the empty soul of a Cosby Show episode.

Also, in terms of cinematic aesthetics, the film looks and feels like an extended tv sitcom. Everything about the movie was super regular. Which is totally fine - make more averge ass negro movies. But an Impossible Burger still aint a steak.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
You can read the book or either of the critiques referenced in those tweets. That is, if you’re genuinely interested and not simply looking to rebut the assessment. The key would be all of the changes to the source material that water down and fundamentally change Everett’s insights and ratchet up maudlin melodrama where there was none.

From one of the essays:

“In Erasure, Monk’s sister, Lisa, doesn’t die of a sudden heart attack; she’s murdered by an anti-abortion activist who stalked her and shot her in cold blood. Monk’s mother, Agnes, doesn’t dance in joyous harmony with gay men on a beach at Lorraine’s wedding; she misses the wedding entirely. Their relationship is fraught with tension, because they have come to resent each other. Lorraine is, after all, their servant, not family. There’s an explicit examination of intra-racial class dynamics prevalent in the book that American Fiction entirely elides, and the choice feels telling.”
#1 It's.Not.The.Book

#2 I don't see how abruptly killing his otherwise seemingly healthy sister off in the first 1/3 of the film evokes "happy days" it's just a stale critique about something that doesn't fundamentally alter the narration of the film...his sister dies.. I really don't care about some right wing nut getting her time to shine on cam because of some "yo gotta stay true to the source material" rhetoric. :mjlol:

#3 There was plenty of tension between Monks brother and mother she clearly resented him...a dance with the gays or her appearance at the wedding doesn't change the contention we saw earlier in the film and again this is just more sidebar shyt that doesn't hit at the root of the actual narrative idk about if she shows up to Lorraines wedding it's not integral to a 2 hour movie plot.

#4 The entire perspective that Monk has about race is developed from his upper middle class well to do upbringing... His inability to connect with WHY people would like the content Issa Rae is publishing is a byproduct of that.. He's a ivy tower perching ivy league attending fake radical that literally says he doesn't even belive in race... how do you think he became this kind of individual? What causal factors offered to the audience in this film do you believe to be at the root of this? lol... the intra-class notes weren't exactly sublte to me... Perhaps some do need these kinds of themes drilled down to them with the grace of a mallet.. however... But "feels telling" sounds completely disconnected from what I watched... What are these "feels" were being instructed to walk away with?

Monk isn’t some lonely dweeb who just needs to let people love him. He never even dates this woman - he loses his erection in bed because he sees the issa raye boom on her nightstand. He fukks other women though. He isn’t a pedantic sad sack at all. . His brother isn’t some dynamic, handsome guy who explains the family to Monk. And there is no real relationship between him and Monk, he’s barely on the page.

I think you're misinterpreting my ask...I'm not requesting a review with everything that's out of step with the book... Again this isn't the book bruh... What I asked is for you to explain what was "Hallmark" about the film... Even if you want to critique the messaging Monks brother used in his analysis of his brother and dismiss it as too campy or whatever it is you have a problem with... Guess what? Monk still didn't listen...he still self destructs.. And it wasnt until Issa dressed him down about his own false sense of self that he had his aha moment... It wasn't due to his brothers monologue... And the nikka still doesn't get the girl at the end... There is no happy ending to be found here...at best you may find melancholy.....maybe.. The last scene where he looks at the slave actor isn't some joyous ride off into the sunset... It's a concession

The really sharp criticism is pitched way down, and the navel-gazing family melodrama exaggerated and pitched way up. It’s like he took a book that should’ve had the darkness and brutal insight of Succession and gave the audience Family Matters. Even that easy listening soundtrack had the empty soul of a Cosby Show episode.

This is ridiculous lol... Nothing about this dysfunctional family resembled daytime tv... He's a sociopathic egomanic... His father was a malcontent adulter... His brother a closeted gay junkie ..his mother a homophobic enabler ... None of their romantic relationships were successful including their parents despite the outward appearance of upward mobility due to their careers and education..they were a disaster... This assessment and constant effort to sanitize what was on screen is just completely detached imo

Also, in terms of cinematic aesthetics, the film looks and feels like an extended tv sitcom. Everything about the movie was super regular. Which is totally fine - make more averge ass negro movies. But an Impossible Burger still aint a steak.

It's not a marvel movie... I don't need a quarter million dollar explosion to make me feel like what I'm watching is "movie-ing" ... Honestly.. the majority of these critiques that you posted including your own seem a bit contrived and grasping quite frankly .. Nothing about the acting in this film felt bland but perhaps some people need those extra sprinkles on the top to make them feel more special about their viewing experience?

I know one thing tho... I read somewhere I think in that Twitter thread posted that the author was dismayed that people embraced his book oiganlly instead of being furious about it's insights.. and I found that incredibly ironic after watching this film.. nikka really thought his book was going to kick off the revolution lol... Jeffery Wrights portrayal of him made me belive that he actually would have the hubris to feel that way... And for that alone I salute the movies effectiveness

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
Never noticed the "We's Lives in Da Ghetto" book in the trailer. :dead:
Still haven't seen it yet. I hope this movie is coming out on Blu-Ray.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Some of that criticism is accurate to a degree, in terms of shaving down the books most vicious parts, and making the Monk character more relatable, not by coincidence to the critic class of under appreciated academics, who are sexually frustrated/awkward to a degree. I read a lot of books that get adapted, and they almost never live up to it, part of that is just the medium. That almost comes with it, the dulling of the edges of what made the book - any book- truly great.

but some of that criticism is also at the same time- just inherent in adapting, pitching, and getting a budget for a movie like this.

Which of course gets to some of the book and movies deepest themes.

Last edited:

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
".. you've always been so hard on yourself, Cliffy."

:dwillhuh:

full

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
There's something to me though, about the idea that every movie like this has to be either torn down or worshipped, and isn't allowed to exist in it's own way, on it's own merit-- the movie touches on that in a sense, but I think one of the ultimate unfair aspects of "black" movies is this dynamic. Something like the dynamic behind Get Out and the other movies by Peele.

Percival Everett said in one interview, “I’ve been called a Southern writer, a Western writer, an experimental writer, a mystery writer, and I find it all kind of silly. I write fiction.” It’s this attempt to pin writers down that Everett satirized so effectively in his exquisitely mordant novel “Erasure.”

Yes, for me this was the point of the movie. This all of nothing and black and white view of anything in art and entertainment, especially regarding Black people. We can't really win if that's how we go in creating art, or how we market and consume it. I love the flaws and complexity and sometimes things have greatness and flaws in them and that's OK, that's human.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
This felt like a tamer bamboozled, for whites. Which is ironic considering the message. I lowkey hate this movie for that. Felt like it was going one way bailed in the last 20 mintues.

Its easy to digest for whites, has just enough of a message for the boogie negroes to contemplate, but doesn't really hurt c00n feelings....justifies their acts in a way. I see why it won an award.

Edit: this is the first time I'm seeing reviews of the movie. Glad I'm not the only one who saw what I saw.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The book>>>>>>the movie

The book isn’t really about race (edit this, its not about race as much as the movie focuses on it). Jefferson did something horrible on the father’s story too.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
2 I don't see how abruptly killing his otherwise seemingly healthy sister off in the first 1/3 of the film evokes "happy days" it's just a stale critique about something that doesn't fundamentally alter the narration of the film...his sister dies.. I really don't care about some right wing nut getting her time to shine on cam because of some "yo gotta stay true to the source material" rhetoric. :mjlol:
I don’t disagree with this, but Jefferson ignored some pivotal shyt that happens in that clinic, and is a central theme in the book. Lisa doesn’t like the poor black women that come in there—the abortion clinic is in Anacostia in Southeast DC—and Monk‘s bourgeoise ass got his card played by one of those poor black woke because he underestimated her intellectual curiosity.

Thats the main theme in the entire book, especially down to the MyPafology/Native Son parody which the movie barely discusses.

#4 The entire perspective that Monk has about race is developed from his upper middle class well to do upbringing... His inability to connect with WHY people would like the content Issa Rae is publishing is a byproduct of that.. He's a ivy tower perching ivy league attending fake radical that literally says he doesn't even belive in race... how do you think he became this kind of individual? What causal factors offered to the audience in this film do you believe to be at the root of this? lol... the intra-class notes weren't exactly sublte to me... Perhaps some do need these kinds of themes drilled down to them with the grace of a mallet.. however... But "feels telling" sounds completely disconnected from what I watched... What are these "feels" were being instructed to walk away with?
That’s fair, but the movie doesn’t do a good job of explaining this at all because the movie isn’t about the real tensions of intraracial class dynamics. There is no analysis of it. It is not talked about.

His father was a malcontent adulter
You should read the book. He absolutely wasn’t, which does better explain the family tension.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I don’t disagree with this, but Jefferson ignored some pivotal shyt that happens in that clinic, and is a central theme in the book. Lisa doesn’t like the poor black women that come in there—the abortion clinic is in Anacostia in Southeast DC—and Monk‘s bourgeoise ass got his card played by one of those poor black woke because he underestimated her intellectual curiosity.

Lisa is not the protagonist man... She's a side character....this movie is not about her and if the relevance of that part of the book was to highlight Monks disdain for certain sects of black people...That narrative is clearly expressed in Monks character already throughout the rest of the film... In fact Issa Rae's character exposed his bitterness and self hate towards that group in her excellent dressing down of his pretentiousness and delusional sense of self importance during their 1:1 at the book review session... Like every single scene cannot make it into a film adaptation from a book or you would have a 12 hour 4 part film.... I don't think his characters portrayal or ethos is watered down by losing this scene

Thats the main theme in the entire book, especially down to the MyPafology/Native Son parody which the movie barely discusses.

Why did Monk and his GF Coraline split? Listen to what he's saying in that final argument they had.... Listen to what he feels about people who are source material for and/or like the kind of content included in MyPafology.

He left his extremely supportive woman because of his visceral hatred of that group, his woman who was actually one of the few people that appreciated and was intellectually curious enough to enjoy his prior writing. But because of his own bigotry he left her.

To me this narrative isn't missed in the movie, the whole fukk book and the way he is intentionally/cynically creating those exaggerated black characters speaks to how he actually feels about them. fukk is less satire than it is a peak into Monks worldview around black people, that's were I think me you and the last poster I was responding to are disconnecting. Because to me there's no way you watch this movie and don't pick up on his self hate and it's origins.

That’s fair, but the movie doesn’t do a good job of explaining this at all because the movie isn’t about the real tensions of intraracial class dynamics. There is no analysis of it. It is not talked about.

Again some people need these concepts delivered to them with the grace of a sledge hammer as I said earlier... The movie gives you several instances throughout that let's you know where Monks ideology comes from.. he literally is narrating that he doesn't believe race is a thing while the film shows him getting passed over for a cab... those things are intentionally given to the audience...the entire subtext of the film evokes upitty oreo nikka from the bourgeois class who looks down and detests specifically the concept of being too closely aligned with other blacks who aren't in his perceived intellectual or social realm...

Why is he really that mad at having his books put in the "black section" at barnes and noble? Like think about why those scenes were included in the film? Why was every one of his siblings spouses white? Why was the mom surprised Monk had a black woman? It's all there bruh.

I think some of the very telling details of Monks character have been interpreted as humor in the film for some. But while me and my chick were watching this movie one of the things we vividly commented on was the irony of this so called well to do family who all had ivoy league doctor roots and mixed children being so broken while Monk as a person turns his nose up at other blacks through the film. All of those things are definitely presented and I appreciate the director for not beating people over the head with it and turning the very well delivered subtleties of the movie into a heavy handed after school special on the politics of racism/classism

You should read the book. He absolutely wasn’t, which does better explain the family tension.

So in the book his father isn't an adulterous cheater? If that's the case that makes the last posters claim that this film is a "happy days" version of the book look even more silly lol.... This family is completely broken in the film and it starts at the top with the dads history.[/Quote][/quote]

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Lisa is not the protagonist man... She's a side character....this movie is not about her and if the relevance of that part of the book was to highlight Monks disdain for certain sects of black people...That narrative is clearly expressed in Monks character already throughout the rest of the film... In fact Issa Rae's character exposed his bitterness and self hate towards that group in her excellent dressing down of his pretentiousness and delusional sense of self importance during their 1:1 at the book review session... Like every single scene cannot make it into a film adaptation from a book or you would have a 12 hour 4 part film.... I don't think his characters portrayal or ethos is watered down by losing this scene
Lisa is not the protagonist in the book either. :gucci:

Also in the book, Issa Rae's character has no voice. That character never gets a chance to explain themselves because the book isn't really about that person, whereas the movie focuses on that person. You don't see an issue with that?

And I don't think that interaction exposed anything because she said, "I'm tryna get a bag."

Why did Monk and his GF Coraline split? Listen to what he's saying in that final argument they had.... Listen to what he feels about people who are source material for and/or like the kind of content included in MyPafology.

He left his extremely supportive woman because of his visceral hatred of that group, his woman who was actually one of the few people that appreciated and was intellectually curious enough to enjoy his prior writing. But because of his own bigotry he left her.

To me this narrative isn't missed in the movie, the whole fukk book and the way he is intentionally/cynically creating those exaggerated black characters speaks to how he actually feels about them. fukk is less satire than it is a peak into Monks worldview around black people, that's were I think me you and the last poster I was responding to are disconnecting. Because to me there's no way you watch this movie and don't pick up on his self hate and it's origins.
The movie focused more on what gets shown as black art in the mainstream, which the book covers but isn't really about—the movie isn't either—but it focused on an upper-middle-class black family instead of class issues.

I don't think Monk hated that group in the movie, as much as he doesn't like that group of black people being the only ones in the mainstream. But let me ask you, does he actually gain a greater appreciation for that group in the movie? He does in the book. I would argue he doesn't really learn or appreciate anything in the movie about lower-class black people.

Again some people need these concepts delivered to them with the grace of a sledge hammer as I said earlier... The movie gives you several instances throughout that let's you know where Monks ideology comes from.. he literally is narrating that he doesn't believe race is a thing while the film shows him getting passed over for a cab... those things are intentionally given to the audience...the entire subtext of the film evokes upitty oreo nikka from the bourgeois class who looks down and detests specifically the concept of being too closely aligned with other blacks who aren't in his perceived intellectual or social realm...

Why is he really that mad at having his books put in the "black section" at barnes and noble? Like think about why those scenes were included in the film? Why was every one of his siblings spouses white? Why was the mom surprised Monk had a black woman? It's all there bruh.

I think some of the very telling details of Monks character have been interpreted as humor in the film for some. But while me and my chick were watching this movie one of the things we vividly commented on was the irony of this so called well to do family who all had ivoy league doctor roots and mixed children being so broken while Monk as a person turns his nose up at other blacks through the film. All of those things are definitely presented and I appreciate the director for not beating people over the head with it and turning the very well delivered subtleties of the movie into a heavy handed after school special on the politics of racism/classism
No, I just need it discussed like it is in the book. You notice Cord Jefferson in his talks never actually talks about intraracial class dynamics in his interviews about the movie? Why is that?

And he didn't leave his woman because of his hatred of that group. He left his woman because of his hatred of that book and his disgust with the author, not with poor black peoples.

The movie is him just creating that to satisfy the market demands, not because he hates that group.

he is mad at his book being in the black section, not because of hatred of poor black people. He doesn't want his book to lumped in with James Baldwin because he and Baldwin aint writing about the same shyt, lol.

So in the book his father isn't an adulterous cheater? If that's the case that makes the last posters claim that this film is a "happy days" version of the book look even more silly lol.... This family is completely broken in the film and it starts at the top with the dads history
He's not an adulterous cheater in the traditional context. The women he had an affair was was the love of his life.

I like the movie a lot. It shows a black family and all of their internal issues. I don't really care about the satire Jefferson tried to paint because he missed it there. But after reading the book, its clear Jefferson didn't understand the book or found a different agenda to push.

You should read the book because you missing so much.