AMD Big Navi RX 6000 Series Livestream - 12:00PM EST 10.28.2020

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So no RT graphs or DLSS like tech? Not really moved to be honest. I'll have to see 6800XT vs 3080 benchmarks with RT.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
So no RT graphs or DLSS like tech? Not really moved to be honest. I'll have to see 6800XT vs 3080 benchmarks with RT.
If they're brute forcing 4K performance comparable to the 3080 or 3090 though, do you really need DLSS?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If they're brute forcing 4K performance comparable to the 3080 or 3090 though, do you really need DLSS?
Yeah, a lot of those benchmarks we've seen the past month touting very high 4K performance was WITH DLSS when ray tracing is enabled for select games.

5-4.jpg.webp

That DLSS is magic
6-3.jpg.webp

Not having something comparable is a deal breaker imo.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, a lot of those benchmarks we've seen the past month touting high 4K performance was WITH DLSS.

5-4.jpg.webp

That DLSS is magic
6-3.jpg.webp
But that's the point I'm getting at. Nvidia needs DLSS to get that performance. If AMD doesn't, that seems like a win in my book. It would be a nice extra, but if they don't have an alternative and they don't need it to get the performance, that's good news.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Note that performance was with those extra AMD features. So you need a 5000 series Ryzen to take advantage.

Nah it wasn't, they had extra slides that show it with the 5k and Rage mode. Those slides were not those.

image.png

Even without a 5 series and rage mode, 6800XT is a better value than RTX 3080

Me personally, i'm getting 5950X + 6900XT so i'm gucci regardless. If crossfire comes back, i'm getting 2x 6900XT

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Came out of that incredibly unimpressed, especially insofar as the release date goes, as well. They gotta be overjoyed at the Cyberpunk push-back, though - no way many people were gonna get their GPUs before the 11/19 drop date but now there's a little time. Even still... they gave Nvidia a month head-start, and if it weren't for Nvidia shooting themselves in the foot with the debacle of these launches, they woulda run away with this. Especially when AMD can't even promise lower pricing :snoop:
I'mma see benchmarks where I can, but... yeah. Looking like it's gonna be a 3070 for me until I do a full rebuild and upgrade my CPU so it won't bottleneck anything more powerful. AMD had a chance to come in with a DLSS-type solution and better pricing and they coulda legitimately ran away with this during Nvidia's supply downtime. But, nope. All the big performance went to the CPU side, and their GPUs still out here straight little bro status to team green

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Came out of that incredibly unimpressed, especially insofar as the release date goes, as well. They gotta be overjoyed at the Cyberpunk push-back, though - no way many people were gonna get their GPUs before the 11/19 drop date but now there's a little time. Even still... they gave Nvidia a month head-start, and if it weren't for Nvidia shooting themselves in the foot with the debacle of these launches, they woulda run away with this. Especially when AMD can't even promise lower pricing :snoop:
I'mma see benchmarks where I can, but... yeah. Looking like it's gonna be a 3070 for me until I do a full rebuild and upgrade my CPU so it won't bottleneck anything more powerful. AMD had a chance to come in with a DLSS-type solution and better pricing and they coulda legitimately ran away with this during Nvidia's supply downtime. But, nope. All the big performance went to the CPU side, and their GPUs still out here straight little bro status to team green

All of this would be true if Nvidia had any stock.

But they dont. And if they still dont by the 11th, or the 18th... :yeshrug:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But that's the point I'm getting at. Nvidia needs DLSS to get that performance. If AMD doesn't, that seems like a win in my book. It would be a nice extra, but if they don't have an alternative and they don't need it to get the performance, that's good news.
Well we'll have to see their benchmarks compared to DLSS. It's still time.
I just read that AMD is currently working on some super-sampling tech for increasing performance in ray tracing. If it's as good as DLSS then this concern will be alleviated.

I plan on getting a new GPU next year because I'm not with the circus of fighting online bots :mjlol:

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Are we sure the benchmarks they showed today included DLSS for Nvidia though? Would be some snake shyt but :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah it wasn't, they had extra slides that show it with the 5k and Rage mode. Those slides were not those.

image.png

Even without a 5 series and rage mode, 6800XT is a better value than RTX 3080

Me personally, i'm getting 5950X + 6900XT so i'm gucci regardless. If crossfire comes back, i'm getting 2x 6900XT

wait for to see the actually games running in real time to use benchmarks

the 3070 was suppose to be better than the 2080ti and now we know its basically the same

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
wait for to see the actually games running in real time to use benchmarks

the 3070 was suppose to be better than the 2080ti and now we know its basically the same

Yeah can never fully trust 1st party slides.

although I do believe they said 3070 would be better than 2080ti in rtx iirc

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay

Not how that works, cuh. Not at all. AMD having nothing to answer for this is pretty bad, ultimately. You can brute-force your rendering, but that has impact much larger than just on your GPU workload, all the way to something as seemingly innocuous as increase temps and heat dump into your room. But more than that, DLSS is what's allowing raytracing to work with functional framerates. As long as there isn't an equivalent to that system for AMD, they're literally going to need to graphically do twice the work for the same result. And the more improvements are made to DLSS, the wider that gap is then able to grow.

It's realistically bad news for them across the board, seeing as we're bumping hard into that point of graphical diminishing returns. The eye just can't see some shyt. And much like with Microsoft - the 'moar powah' mentality eventually runs hard into that wall, whereas more creative solutions to providing the same content more functionally - and that's keeping in mind that the capability differential here is not that big in AMD's favor so far - just goes further. Much like most people couldn't tell much difference between checkerboard 4k and native, but one of those is dramatically less intensive on a system.

Overall it's a bad look for AMD because having a DLSS competitor would actually be huge for them, simply for the sake of their place in the console ecosystem. Having a working DLSS-type solution would dramatically upgrade the utility of a Series S. Could repurpose a lot of that Series X power in a way where you really could get real-time raytracing and not have a game full of Craigs.

It's just such a strange strategy from AMD :gucci:Hope it finds a way to pay off